Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A rectangular floor measure 2 by 3 meters, there are 5

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2006
Posts: 179
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

A rectangular floor measure 2 by 3 meters, there are 5 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2006, 16:48
A rectangular floor measure 2 by 3 meters, there are 5 white, 5 red and 5 black parquet blocks available. Each block measurers 1 by 1 meter. In how many different color patterns can the floor be pargueted.

a)104
b)213
c)577
d)705
e)726
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 289
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2006, 18:28
5 w, 5b, 5 r = 15 alltogether
total reqd = 2*3 = 6
15C6 combinations..
Can anyone please explain further, I'm stumped?
GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2006
Posts: 1269
Location: Madrid
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2006, 02:40
Clue: It would be a much easier question of there were 6 tiles of each colour available...Each of the six spaces could be filled 3 ways
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2005
Posts: 286
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: permutations [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2006, 05:59
rkatl wrote:
A rectangular floor measure 2 by 3 meters, there are 5 white, 5 red and 5 black parquet blocks available. Each block measurers 1 by 1 meter. In how many different color patterns can the floor be pargueted.

a)104
b)213
c)577
d)705
e)726


how about 3x3x3x3x3x3 -3 =729-3 = 726
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Posts: 361
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2006, 07:47
E

Rectangular floor consists of six 1 by 1 block.

Each block can either white or red or black.

So the required combinations= 3*3*3*3*3*3= 729

but this also includes when all the blocks are either white or black or red which is not possible
so we need to subtract 3 possible cases.


729-3= 726
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 289
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2006, 17:09
Thanks for the answers.. i guess it is just a simple combination questions.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2769
Location: New York City
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 4

 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2007, 12:47
AK wrote:
E

Rectangular floor consists of six 1 by 1 block.

Each block can either white or red or black.

So the required combinations= 3*3*3*3*3*3= 729

but this also includes when all the blocks are either white or black or red which is not possible
so we need to subtract 3 possible cases.


729-3= 726


we have 6 slots. there are 3 colors to choose from to fill each of these slots

(3c1)^6 = 729

i still do not understand how the subtraction of 3 is accounted for.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2769
Location: New York City
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 4

 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2007, 12:55
bmwhype2 wrote:
AK wrote:
E

Rectangular floor consists of six 1 by 1 block.

Each block can either white or red or black.

So the required combinations= 3*3*3*3*3*3= 729

but this also includes when all the blocks are either white or black or red which is not possible
so we need to subtract 3 possible cases.


729-3= 726


we have 6 slots. there are 3 colors to choose from to fill each of these slots

(3c1)^6 = 729

i still do not understand how the subtraction of 3 is accounted for.


nevermind, figured it out.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2007, 15:35
bmwhype2 wrote:
AK wrote:
E

Rectangular floor consists of six 1 by 1 block.

Each block can either white or red or black.

So the required combinations= 3*3*3*3*3*3= 729

but this also includes when all the blocks are either white or black or red which is not possible
so we need to subtract 3 possible cases.


729-3= 726


we have 6 slots. there are 3 colors to choose from to fill each of these slots

(3c1)^6 = 729

i still do not understand how the subtraction of 3 is accounted for.


Because there are only 5 blocks , so we can have 6 of same color. I like this question..
  [#permalink] 11 Dec 2007, 15:35
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
A rectangular floor measures 2 by 3 meters. There are 5 arjtryarjtry 2 28 Aug 2008, 19:16
A rectangular floor measures 2 by 3 meters. There are 5 aaron22197 1 02 Aug 2008, 22:48
A rectangular floor measures 2 by 3 meters. There are 5 arjtryarjtry 6 02 Aug 2008, 02:03
Experts publish their posts in the topic A rectangular floor measures 2 by 3 meters. There are 5 sondenso 1 23 May 2008, 00:45
a rectangular floor measures 2 by 3 meters. there are 5 bmwhype2 3 05 Nov 2007, 08:49
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A rectangular floor measure 2 by 3 meters, there are 5

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.