Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 02:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 911
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 317

Premium Member CAT Tests
A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 05:50
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (02:37) correct 40% (01:54) wrong based on 267 sessions
A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for state unemployment benefits is one of the first signs that a nationwide recession is coming to an end. Usually such a reduction indicates that companies are not dismissing as many people, a sure sign of economic recovery. The number of people collecting state unemployment benefits has dropped considerably over the last three months, so the recession is coming to an end.

Which of the following is assumed in the passage above?

A majority of the number of people who became eligible to file unemployment benefits from the state in the past three months chose to do so.
The drop in the number of people collecting unemployment benefits from the state cannot be traced to a reduction in the number of people being dismissed from minimum wage jobs.
A substantial number of people who had been collecting unemployment benefits have been rehired by their former employers during the last three months.
A substantial number of people have not in the last three months moved from one state where they have collected unemployment benefits to another state where they continue to receive jobless benefits.
The reduction in the number of people collecting unemployment benefits from the state is not because of an increase in the number of people whose benefits came to an end.
Source: Veritas prep

Someone please tell why (A) isn't correct?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A reduction in the number of people filing [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 02:40
A and E both are strong contenders.....but m not able to figure aot any strong enough reason to keep E and reject A...plz explain
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 395
Location: India
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 183 [1] , given: 10

Re: A reduction in the number of people filing [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 04:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
targetgmatchotu wrote:
A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for state unemployment benefits is one of the first signs that a nationwide recession is coming to an end. Usually such a reduction indicates that companies are not dismissing as many people, a sure sign of economic recovery. The number of people collecting state unemployment benefits has dropped considerably over the last three months, so the recession is coming to an end.

Which of the following is assumed in the passage above?

A majority of the number of people who became eligible to file unemployment benefits from the state in the past three months chose to do so.
The drop in the number of people collecting unemployment benefits from the state cannot be traced to a reduction in the number of people being dismissed from minimum wage jobs.
A substantial number of people who had been collecting unemployment benefits have been rehired by their former employers during the last three months.
A substantial number of people have not in the last three months moved from one state where they have collected unemployment benefits to another state where they continue to receive jobless benefits.
The reduction in the number of people collecting unemployment benefits from the state is not because of an increase in the number of people whose benefits came to an end.
Source: Veritas prep

Someone please tell why (A) isn't correct?


Premise: The number of people collecting state unemployment benefits has dropped considerably over the last three months
Conclusion: Recession has come to an end.

The assumption should be something that shows that the conclusion is not because of a fact different from the premise. Choice E exactly shows that. Choice A says exactly the opposite of the premise and so cannot be the assumption.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com/courses.php

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: GMAT Streetfighter!!
Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 59
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 21

Re: A reduction in the number of people filing [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 13:56
targetgmatchotu wrote:
A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for state unemployment benefits is one of the first signs that a nationwide recession is coming to an end. Usually such a reduction indicates that companies are not dismissing as many people, a sure sign of economic recovery. The number of people collecting state unemployment benefits has dropped considerably over the last three months, so the recession is coming to an end.

Which of the following is assumed in the passage above?

A majority of the number of people who became eligible to file unemployment benefits from the state in the past three months chose to do so.
The drop in the number of people collecting unemployment benefits from the state cannot be traced to a reduction in the number of people being dismissed from minimum wage jobs.
A substantial number of people who had been collecting unemployment benefits have been rehired by their former employers during the last three months.
A substantial number of people have not in the last three months moved from one state where they have collected unemployment benefits to another state where they continue to receive jobless benefits.
The reduction in the number of people collecting unemployment benefits from the state is not because of an increase in the number of people whose benefits came to an end.
Source: Veritas prep

Someone please tell why (A) isn't correct?


At least POE was between E and A.

My reasoning for A.

Low claims>>No more recession.

Assume people who are laid off and are eligible for benefits actually do file a claim for those benefits.

But E was also pretty solid.

Assume people's benefits run out, so still unemployed, recession unchanged.
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4810
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1131

Kudos [?]: 5165 [5] , given: 164

Re: A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 00:27
5
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
targetgmatchotu wrote:
A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for state unemployment benefits is one of the first signs that a nationwide recession is coming to an end. Usually such a reduction indicates that companies are not dismissing as many people, a sure sign of economic recovery. The number of people collecting state unemployment benefits has dropped considerably over the last three months, so the recession is coming to an end.

Which of the following is assumed in the passage above?

A majority of the number of people who became eligible to file unemployment benefits from the state in the past three months chose to do so.
The drop in the number of people collecting unemployment benefits from the state cannot be traced to a reduction in the number of people being dismissed from minimum wage jobs.
A substantial number of people who had been collecting unemployment benefits have been rehired by their former employers during the last three months.
A substantial number of people have not in the last three months moved from one state where they have collected unemployment benefits to another state where they continue to receive jobless benefits.
The reduction in the number of people collecting unemployment benefits from the state is not because of an increase in the number of people whose benefits came to an end.
Source: Veritas prep

Someone please tell why (A) isn't correct?


Responding to a pm:

When stuck between two options, use assumption negation technique.

Premises:

- A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for state unemployment benefits is one of the first signs that recession is ending.
- Usually such a reduction indicates that companies are not dismissing as many people, a sure sign of economic recovery.
- The number of people collecting state unemployment benefits has dropped considerably over the last three months

Conclusion: The recession is coming to an end.

From the premises to the conclusion, we are linking 'number of people filing new claims' to 'number of people collecting benefits'. We are saying that if the numebr of people collecting benefits has reduced, it means number of people filing new complaints has reduced too. There are two types of people collecting benefits: People who have been receiving benefits for a while and People putting in new claims.
If no of people collecting benefits has reduced, the reduction could be in the number of people who have been receiving benefits for a while or in no of people putting in new claims or in both.
If we say that reduction in no of people collecting benefits has reduced means reduction in no of people putting in new claims, we are assuming that number of people who have been receiving benefits for a while has stayed the same.
Hence answer (E)

Why not (A)?
Let's negate (A): Only few people who became eligible to file unemployment benefits from the state in the past three months chose to do so.

Is it still possible that recession is coming to an end? Sure. Perhaps only few people became eligible (were fired) and out of those only few filed for benefits. It is still possible that recession is coming to an end.
If the conclusion can hold even after negating an option, the option cannot be an assumption.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2012
Posts: 117
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 57

Re: A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 07:31
IMO E

1)A majority of the number of people who became eligible to file unemployment benefits from the state in the past three months chose to do so.
This actually WEAKENS the argument. If majority of the eligible people actually filed for benefits, then the number can possibly go up.

2)The drop in the number of people collecting unemployment benefits from the state cannot be traced to a reduction in the number of people being dismissed from minimum wage jobs.
This can be the answer, but it talks specifically about people being dismissed from minimum wage jobs. If the number of dismissed people is less than the drop in the number of people collecting benefits, then it is not actually talking about why those folks stopped collecting benefits ( who were not dismissed from these minimum wage jobs).

3)A substantial number of people who had been collecting unemployment benefits have been rehired by their former employers during the last three months.
This again is useless. It is like 3+3-3 = 3 (original number). Does not help us.

4)A substantial number of people have not in the last three months moved from one state where they have collected unemployment benefits to another state where they continue to receive jobless benefits.
This talks about people collecting benefits in different states. It is not related to what we are looking for.

5)The reduction in the number of people collecting unemployment benefits from the state is not because of an increase in the number of people whose benefits came to an end.
This fits the bill. In classic GMAT fashion, it tells you that there could be a possibility that some of the people have had their benefits come to an end. But, the drop is not related to this alone. This throws open the possibility of other reasons.

One thing I find is that such options open the door for the student to speculate and it seems the Test creators love doing that. :| :|
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 21:25
Even after reading the above explanations a few times, it still is not clear.

My confusion is still between A and E. Using the negation technique does not work here.

A: If more people file for unemployment benefits, it strengthens the argument because it validates that the number of claimants is an accurate reflection of reality. If I am using the number of claims (i.e unemployment) as a benchmark for the state of the economy, it would be a cause for concern if people are actually unemployed but NOT claiming unemployment benefits.

E: I would think that the signs of economy recovery are based on the people filing for claims regardless of whether there were previously unemployed or not. What matters is what is the current state of claims. So how does it matter what happened in the past? Why do we care about eliminating this possibility?

I am clearly missing something?
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1098
Location: United States
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 1310 [2] , given: 120

Premium Member
Re: A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 21:57
2
This post received
KUDOS
serendipiteez wrote:
Even after reading the above explanations a few times, it still is not clear.

My confusion is still between A and E. Using the negation technique does not work here.

A: If more people file for unemployment benefits, it strengthens the argument because it validates that the number of claimants is an accurate reflection of reality. If I am using the number of claims (i.e unemployment) as a benchmark for the state of the economy, it would be a cause for concern if people are actually unemployed but NOT claiming unemployment benefits.

E: I would think that the signs of economy recovery are based on the people filing for claims regardless of whether there were previously unemployed or not. What matters is what is the current state of claims. So how does it matter what happened in the past? Why do we care about eliminating this possibility?

I am clearly missing something?


Hi Serendipiteez

I have an example, hope it helps.

At the beginning of 2012, Town A had 1000 people, unemployment rate was 10% ==> 100 people were unemployed, ALL of them filed for unemployment benefit. Let say, unemployment benefit package lasts for 1 years (it will end at the end of 2012)
==> 100 people got unemployment benefit


At the beginning of 2013, Town A still had 1000 people, but unemployment rate was 15% ==> 150 people were unemployed. ALL People who are eligible for unemployment benefit chose to file petition. However,
100 people who filed petition in 2012 will not get unemployment benefit anymore, their benefits ended at the end of 2012.
==> ONLY 50 NEW people got unemployment benefit.

Clearly, the number of people getting unemployment benefit decreased.

Can we conclude that economy recovers if we base solely on the number of people who get unemployment benefit. Nope, we must base on the number of people who are unemployed.

Does it help, let me know.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4810
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1131

Kudos [?]: 5165 [0], given: 164

Re: A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 23:15
Expert's post
Responding to a pm:

Quote:
As per my understanding, when I applied negation technique to option A, this is how I reinterpreted the sentence

A majority of the number of people who became eligible to file unemployment benefits from the state in the past three months chose NOT to do so.

The above sentence misled me to assume that people who are eligible to file unemployment benefits are actually willing to do so. Otherwise it may be not because of recession coming to end but because of their unwillingness for various reasons that people are not filing unemployment benefits.

Clearly, the difference is due to the wrong application of negation technique. Please help in this regard.


Ok, how is ANT useful? If you negate an assumption, the conclusion CANNOT HOLD.

The way you negated (be negating the verb), gives us similar results as those obtained by me by negating the subject (logical opposite of most is few)

(A) negated by me: Only few eligible people chose to file.
(A) negated by you: Most eligible people chose not to file.

So this is not the problem.

Conclusion: Recession is coming to an end.

Is it still possible that recession is coming to an end? Sure. Perhaps only few people became eligible (were fired) and out of those only few filed for benefits. It is still possible that recession is coming to an end.
If the conclusion can hold even after negating an option, the option cannot be an assumption.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Apr 2013
Posts: 140
Location: India
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 18

Re: A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2013, 00:13
Thank you Karishma. Now I understand. In either ways, applying negation technique to choice A strngthens the conclusion and hence the choice cannot be the assumption.

Hope everyone is clear.
_________________

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Those, who never do any more than they get paid for, never get paid for any more than they do"

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4810
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1131

Kudos [?]: 5165 [2] , given: 164

Re: A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2013, 20:43
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:
A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for state unemployment benefits is one of the first signs that a nationwide recession is coming to an end. Usually such a reduction indicates that companies are not dismissing as many people, a sure sign of economic recovery. The number of people collecting state unemployment benefits has dropped considerably over the last three months, so the recession is coming to an end.


Hi Karishma,
Why isn't D right? If many people moved to other state and received benefits from another state, then , the conclusion becomes invalid, am I right?




The argument considers the numbers of all the states together. A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for state unemployment benefits (in all states) is a sign of nationwide recession coming to an end. We are not considering a single state here. For us to say anything about 'nationwide recession', the numbers must come from the whole nation. If people moved from one state to another, it wouldn't affect the overall numbers at all.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2014
Posts: 291
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 20:19
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:
A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for state unemployment benefits is one of the first signs that a nationwide recession is coming to an end. Usually such a reduction indicates that companies are not dismissing as many people, a sure sign of economic recovery. The number of people collecting state unemployment benefits has dropped considerably over the last three months, so the recession is coming to an end.

Which of the following is assumed in the passage above?

A majority of the number of people who became eligible to file unemployment benefits from the state in the past three months chose to do so.
The drop in the number of people collecting unemployment benefits from the state cannot be traced to a reduction in the number of people being dismissed from minimum wage jobs.
A substantial number of people who had been collecting unemployment benefits have been rehired by their former employers during the last three months.
A substantial number of people have not in the last three months moved from one state where they have collected unemployment benefits to another state where they continue to receive jobless benefits.
The reduction in the number of people collecting unemployment benefits from the state is not because of an increase in the number of people whose benefits came to an end.
Source: Veritas prep

Someone please tell why (A) isn't correct?


Responding to a pm:

When stuck between two options, use assumption negation technique.

Premises:

- A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for state unemployment benefits is one of the first signs that recession is ending.
- Usually such a reduction indicates that companies are not dismissing as many people, a sure sign of economic recovery.
- The number of people collecting state unemployment benefits has dropped considerably over the last three months

Conclusion: The recession is coming to an end.

From the premises to the conclusion, we are linking 'number of people filing new claims' to 'number of people collecting benefits'. We are saying that if the numebr of people collecting benefits has reduced, it means number of people filing new complaints has reduced too. There are two types of people collecting benefits: People who have been receiving benefits for a while and People putting in new claims.
If no of people collecting benefits has reduced, the reduction could be in the number of people who have been receiving benefits for a while or in no of people putting in new claims or in both.
If we say that reduction in no of people collecting benefits has reduced means reduction in no of people putting in new claims, we are assuming that number of people who have been receiving benefits for a while has stayed the same.
Hence answer (E)

Why not (A)?
Let's negate (A): Only few people who became eligible to file unemployment benefits from the state in the past three months chose to do so.

Is it still possible that recession is coming to an end? Sure. Perhaps only few people became eligible (were fired) and out of those only few filed for benefits. It is still possible that recession is coming to an end.
If the conclusion can hold even after negating an option, the option cannot be an assumption.



Karishma , I would not have been able to pick up the right choice . Luckily I remembered this argument from one article in Economist magazine where the reasoning was given as E. However I think that sometimes GMAC goes into too obscure reasoning and logical linkages in their CR section.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4810
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1131

Kudos [?]: 5165 [0], given: 164

Re: A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 21:06
Expert's post
himanshujovi wrote:

Karishma , I would not have been able to pick up the right choice . Luckily I remembered this argument from one article in Economist magazine where the reasoning was given as E. However I think that sometimes GMAC goes into too obscure reasoning and logical linkages in their CR section.


Himanshu,

Actually, I wouldn't say that GMAC uses obscure reasoning. If you look thoroughly enough, you will be able to find very genuine reasons - many people do not prepare at all for GMAT and still do well. It means you don't necessarily have to learn GMAT ways. The only thing is that most of us are not trained enough to look closely and hence we need to learn to do that.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2014
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 06:58
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:
A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for state unemployment benefits is one of the first signs that a nationwide recession is coming to an end. Usually such a reduction indicates that companies are not dismissing as many people, a sure sign of economic recovery. The number of people collecting state unemployment benefits has dropped considerably over the last three months, so the recession is coming to an end.

Which of the following is assumed in the passage above?

A majority of the number of people who became eligible to file unemployment benefits from the state in the past three months chose to do so.
The drop in the number of people collecting unemployment benefits from the state cannot be traced to a reduction in the number of people being dismissed from minimum wage jobs.
A substantial number of people who had been collecting unemployment benefits have been rehired by their former employers during the last three months.
A substantial number of people have not in the last three months moved from one state where they have collected unemployment benefits to another state where they continue to receive jobless benefits.
The reduction in the number of people collecting unemployment benefits from the state is not because of an increase in the number of people whose benefits came to an end.
Source: Veritas prep

Someone please tell why (A) isn't correct?


Responding to a pm:

When stuck between two options, use assumption negation technique.

Premises:

- A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for state unemployment benefits is one of the first signs that recession is ending.
- Usually such a reduction indicates that companies are not dismissing as many people, a sure sign of economic recovery.
- The number of people collecting state unemployment benefits has dropped considerably over the last three months

Conclusion: The recession is coming to an end.

From the premises to the conclusion, we are linking 'number of people filing new claims' to 'number of people collecting benefits'. We are saying that if the numebr of people collecting benefits has reduced, it means number of people filing new complaints has reduced too. There are two types of people collecting benefits: People who have been receiving benefits for a while and People putting in new claims.
If no of people collecting benefits has reduced, the reduction could be in the number of people who have been receiving benefits for a while or in no of people putting in new claims or in both.
If we say that reduction in no of people collecting benefits has reduced means reduction in no of people putting in new claims, we are assuming that number of people who have been receiving benefits for a while has stayed the same.
Hence answer (E)

Why not (A)?
Let's negate (A): Only few people who became eligible to file unemployment benefits from the state in the past three months chose to do so.

Is it still possible that recession is coming to an end? Sure. Perhaps only few people became eligible (were fired) and out of those only few filed for benefits. It is still possible that recession is coming to an end.
If the conclusion can hold even after negating an option, the option cannot be an assumption.





Karishma I have only one doubt with E
No. of people claiming unemployment benefits(X) = no. of new people filing(Y) + no. of old people already using(Z)
Rewriting it as X= Y + Z

Now X could decline if either Y or Z or both decline. Using negation test on E - X is declining because of a decline in Z. This does not mean that only the decline in Z is causing X to decline. It might be the case that both Y and Z are declining which result in the decline of X. In that case conclusion would still hold true.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4810
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1131

Kudos [?]: 5165 [0], given: 164

Re: A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 20:51
Expert's post
atulg14 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:
A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for state unemployment benefits is one of the first signs that a nationwide recession is coming to an end. Usually such a reduction indicates that companies are not dismissing as many people, a sure sign of economic recovery. The number of people collecting state unemployment benefits has dropped considerably over the last three months, so the recession is coming to an end.

Which of the following is assumed in the passage above?

A majority of the number of people who became eligible to file unemployment benefits from the state in the past three months chose to do so.
The drop in the number of people collecting unemployment benefits from the state cannot be traced to a reduction in the number of people being dismissed from minimum wage jobs.
A substantial number of people who had been collecting unemployment benefits have been rehired by their former employers during the last three months.
A substantial number of people have not in the last three months moved from one state where they have collected unemployment benefits to another state where they continue to receive jobless benefits.
The reduction in the number of people collecting unemployment benefits from the state is not because of an increase in the number of people whose benefits came to an end.
Source: Veritas prep

Someone please tell why (A) isn't correct?


Responding to a pm:

When stuck between two options, use assumption negation technique.

Premises:

- A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for state unemployment benefits is one of the first signs that recession is ending.
- Usually such a reduction indicates that companies are not dismissing as many people, a sure sign of economic recovery.
- The number of people collecting state unemployment benefits has dropped considerably over the last three months

Conclusion: The recession is coming to an end.

From the premises to the conclusion, we are linking 'number of people filing new claims' to 'number of people collecting benefits'. We are saying that if the numebr of people collecting benefits has reduced, it means number of people filing new complaints has reduced too. There are two types of people collecting benefits: People who have been receiving benefits for a while and People putting in new claims.
If no of people collecting benefits has reduced, the reduction could be in the number of people who have been receiving benefits for a while or in no of people putting in new claims or in both.
If we say that reduction in no of people collecting benefits has reduced means reduction in no of people putting in new claims, we are assuming that number of people who have been receiving benefits for a while has stayed the same.
Hence answer (E)

Why not (A)?
Let's negate (A): Only few people who became eligible to file unemployment benefits from the state in the past three months chose to do so.

Is it still possible that recession is coming to an end? Sure. Perhaps only few people became eligible (were fired) and out of those only few filed for benefits. It is still possible that recession is coming to an end.
If the conclusion can hold even after negating an option, the option cannot be an assumption.



Karishma I have only one doubt with E
No. of people claiming unemployment benefits(X) = no. of new people filing(Y) + no. of old people already using(Z)
Rewriting it as X= Y + Z

Now X could decline if either Y or Z or both decline. Using negation test on E - X is declining because of a decline in Z. This does not mean that only the decline in Z is causing X to decline. It might be the case that both Y and Z are declining which result in the decline of X. In that case conclusion would still hold true.


You see that X is declining and you conclude from that that Y must have declined. So what is your assumption? That Z has not declined. If you know that Z declined, can you say that "Y must have declined"? No. Y may or may not have declined - Can't say. Hence, negating (E) kills the conclusion.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2014, 20:51
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for gmatprep1982 3 17 Feb 2013, 16:32
Only a reduction of 10 percent in the number of scheduled elegan 1 31 Oct 2012, 21:41
11 Experts publish their posts in the topic Only a reduction of 10 percent in the number of scheduled betterscore 13 03 Aug 2012, 15:57
Provisions of the new deficit-reduction program featuring gmatcracker2010 16 04 Jun 2010, 02:10
Sociologist: The claim that there is a large number of chunjuwu 5 17 Mar 2005, 23:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A reduction in the number of people filing new claims for

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.