Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 20:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A regional toothpaste company has decided to expand its

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 10-22-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
A regional toothpaste company has decided to expand its [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 23:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (01:56) correct 28% (01:07) wrong based on 185 sessions
A regional toothpaste company has decided to expand its marketing region by ten cities. Rather than simply expand to the ten most populous cities in the region, the company plans to expand to the ten regional cities in which there is the greatest demand for a new brand of toothpaste.

The toothpaste company's plan assumes that

A. there is a reliable method for determining a city's demand for a new brand of toothpaste
B. some of the ten chosen cities will have greater demand for the toothpaste than will some of the others
C. the ten most populous regional cities and the ten regional cities with the greatest demand will be the same ten cities
D. customers will not care if the price of the toothpaste goes up due to the cost of marketing a product in a new region
E.someday, the toothpaste company will market its product nationally
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 269

Re: A regional toothpaste company has decided to expand its mark [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 23:49
+1A

Premise - A regional toothpaste company has decided to expand its marketing region by ten cities. Rather than simply expand to the ten most populous cities in the region, the company plans to expand to the ten regional cities in which there is the greatest demand for a new brand of toothpaste.

A. there is a reliable method for determining a city's demand for a new brand of toothpaste (If the demand cannot be calculated, how will they decide the ten cities where they want to expand. This option when negated destroys the premise and is thus our answer)
B. some of the ten chosen cities will have greater demand for the toothpaste than will some of the others (No, the company does not assume that)
C. the ten most populous regional cities and the ten regional cities with the greatest demand will be the same ten cities (It does not assume that, rather clearly states that the two are different)
D. customers will not care if the price of the toothpaste goes up due to the cost of marketing a product in a new region (Either they sell to populous cities or to regional cities, the price will not change as cost of marketing will be incurred anyhow)
E.someday, the toothpaste company will market its product nationally (Not so)

:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 685 [1] , given: 116

Premium Member
Re: A regional toothpaste company has decided to expand its mark [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 03:23
This post received
KUDOS
Must be A. The company assumes that it would be able to identify the cities in which there is a demand for a new tooth paste.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: A regional toothpaste company has decided to expand its [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 08:18
Why B is not an assumption because if we negate B,

some of the ten chosen cities will not have greater demand for the toothpaste than will some of the others

the conclusion also falls apart. Please correct me.
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 266 [0], given: 67

Re: A regional toothpaste company has decided to expand its [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 14:02
ranjeet75 wrote:
Why B is not an assumption because if we negate B,

some of the ten chosen cities will not have greater demand for the toothpaste than will some of the others

the conclusion also falls apart. Please correct me.

Hi
Check two questions namely:-

CR sections of

1. OG 13 : Q 30
2. Verbal guide 2nd edition : Q 44
Even than you have doubt, pls post will try to clear it.

Also check the same type of question discussed on the forum the-interview-is-an-essential-part-of-a-successful-hiring-137311.html

Press Kudos if My post helped .....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 291

Re: A regional toothpaste company has decided to expand its [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 05:30
Clearly A. Negating B works but not as strong as it does for A.
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 138

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 4

Re: A regional toothpaste company has decided to expand its [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 10:08
Hi Ranjeet,

Let me see if I can help,

The way I see b:

Is that it is possible for each of the 10 chosen cities to have identical demand, if this was the case, B would not be true and so you could have the argument without it.

Does that make sense?

All the best,

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 30

Re: A regional toothpaste company has decided to expand its [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2014, 09:00
Archit,

Thanks for the "interview question" but I feel this is bit different from the above question. There is no mention of "method" in the above question. I actually chose B. Still not convinced about choice A because no method or strategy is mentioned. Kindly explain. Thanks
Re: A regional toothpaste company has decided to expand its   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2014, 09:00