Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 11:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 282

A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 06:38
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

89% (02:02) correct 11% (01:17) wrong based on 28 sessions
A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of immune-system activity tend to score much lower on tests of mental health than do people with normal or high immune-system activity. The researcher concluded from this experiment that the immune system protects against mental illness as well as against physical disease.

The researcher's conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) High immune-system activity protects against mental illness better than normal immune-system activity
does.
(B) Mental illness is similar to physical disease in its effects on body systems.
(C) People with high immune-system activity cannot develop mental illness.
(D) Mental illness does not cause people's immune-system activity to decrease.
(E) Psychological treatment of mental illness is not as effective as is medical treatment.

Oa... later

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 85

Re: A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 08:19
rajathpanta wrote:
A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of immune-system activity tend to score much lower
on tests of mental health than do people with normal or high immune-system activity. The researcher concluded
from this experiment that the immune system protects against mental illness as well as against physical disease.

(A) High immune-system activity protects against mental illness better than normal immune-system activity
does.
(B) Mental illness is similar to physical disease in its effects on body systems.
(E) Psychological treatment of mental illness is not as effective as is medical treatment.

Oa... later

If mental illness is not similar to physical disease in its effects on body sytems, then the researcher cannot conclude from his experiment that the immune system protects against mental illness as well as againt physical disease.

Therefore, I'll go with B

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 282

Re: A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 08:28
Think over again. This is a good question for me.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 85

Re: A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 08:47
This post received
KUDOS
rajathpanta wrote:
A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of immune-system activity tend to score much lower
on tests of mental health than do people with normal or high immune-system activity. The researcher concluded
from this experiment that the immune system protects against mental illness as well as against physical disease.

does.

Oa... later

Let's restate the argument :
Premise:
On tests of mental health : Scores of ppl with LOW ISA << Scores of ppl with NORMAL or HIGH ISA (ISA = immune-system activity)
Conclusion:
immune system protects against mental illness as well as against physical disease.

A- Wrong since we are comparing normal and high ISA with low ISA
B- Out of scope : the argument never stated any effects on body systems from either mental illness or physical disease.
C- Out of scope
D- correct : if we negate it : mental illness does cause people's ISA to decrease and that let the conclusion not valid.
E- Out of scope
Thanks for the question

i hope i get it correct this time :lol:

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.58
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 10:12
I'll go with D. If mental illness did decrease immune system activity to decrease, the researcher's hypothesis would be incorrrect.
Re: A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2013, 10:12