Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Geometryx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618696 [152]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618696 [62]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618696 [23]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [20]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: A right circular cone is inscribed in a hemisphere so that the base of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Not sure if anyone else was scratching their heads wondering why the height couldn't be less than the radius, but just in case... it has to do with the word "inscribed": to draw within a figure so as to touch in as many places as possible <a regular polygon inscribed in a circle>

lol.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [4]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Other
Schools: University of Wisconsin (Madison) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.66
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: A right circular cone is inscribed in a hemisphere so that the base of [#permalink]
Kudos
It's the combination of "right circular cone" and "inscribed". The cone shares a base with the hemisphere and it's tip touches the top of the hemisphere. If you had a right circular cone of a height to radius ratio of anything other than 1:1 you would not be able to inscribe it in a hemisphere. Essentially, what you've described is impossible for this particular problem.

Also, you cannot have a hemisphere of the type you've described. It wouldn't be a hemisphere. A sphere's radius is the same throughout. A hemisphere is half of a sphere (so it's height must equal it's radius.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3386
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

A right circular cone is inscribed in a hemisphere so that the base of the cone coincides with the base of the hemisphere. What is the ratio of the height of the cone to the radius of the hemisphere?

(A) \(\sqrt{3}:1\)

(B) \(1:1\)

(C) \(\frac{1}{2}:1\)

(D) \(\sqrt{2}:1\)

(E) \(2:1\)

Note that a hemisphere is just a half of a sphere.

Now, since the cone is a right circular one, then the vertex of the cone must touch the surface of the hemisphere directly above the center of the base (as shown in the diagram below), which makes the height of the cone also the radius of the hemisphere.
Attachment:
Cone.png

Answer: B.

Hi Bunuel, how did you conclude the underlined in above statement? Thanks!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618696 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dienekes wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

A right circular cone is inscribed in a hemisphere so that the base of the cone coincides with the base of the hemisphere. What is the ratio of the height of the cone to the radius of the hemisphere?

Now, since the cone is a right circular one, then the vertex of the cone must touch the surface of the hemisphere directly above the center of the base (as shown in the diagram below), which makes the height of the cone also the radius of the hemisphere.
Attachment:
The attachment Cone.png is no longer available

Consider the cross-section. We'd have an isosceles triangle inscribed in a semi-circle:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 2.44 KiB | Viewed 66880 times ]
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 860 [5]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
height and radius are equal ...follow fig.

ans B
Attachments

download.png
download.png [ 3 KiB | Viewed 73401 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Dienekes wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

Attachment:
The attachment Cone.png is no longer available

Consider the cross-section. We'd have an isosceles triangle inscribed in a semi-circle:
Attachment:
The attachment Untitled.png is no longer available

Why cone can't be like the image below?
Attachment:
File comment: cone in hemisphere
cone in hemisphere.png
cone in hemisphere.png [ 36.85 KiB | Viewed 58273 times ]
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618696 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
avinashvpec wrote:
Why cone can't be like the image below?
Attachment:
cone in hemisphere.png

We are told that the cone is "inscribed" in a hemisphere, not just inside, so the vertex must be on the circumference.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
Bunuel

It makes sense that the height of the cone will be equal to the radius of the hemisphere.

However, when I tried equating the volumes for both the cone and hemisphere, the solution I am getting is 2 : 1

1\3 x pie x r^2 x h = 1/2 x 4/3 x pie x r^3

h = 2r

Am I missing something here. Please help
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618696 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
kotharishakti wrote:
Bunuel

It makes sense that the height of the cone will be equal to the radius of the hemisphere.

However, when I tried equating the volumes for both the cone and hemisphere, the solution I am getting is 2 : 1

h = 2r

Why are you equating volumes? The volume of a cone is obviously less than the volume of the hemisphere it is inscribed in.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
kotharishakti wrote:
Bunuel

h = 2r

Why are you equating volumes? The volume of a cone is obviously less than the volume of the hemisphere it is inscribed in.

Oh yes!!
That's Correct Bunuel.

I am doing it wrong! Such a silly one.

Thanks a lot for your reply!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22043 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos