Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A rookie askin' a question ya'll have seen 10000 times...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

A rookie askin' a question ya'll have seen 10000 times... [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2004, 10:48
What's up guys,

Honestly, after reading through so many of these forum posts, I definitely feel like a rookie. I just graduated from UVA (the Univ. of VA) a few months back with a sad undergraduate GPA in Economics/Interdisciplinary in South Asian Studies (lack of focus in the first few semesters + 3 deaths in the immediate/extended family = something like a 2.7) but what I feel is an amazin' co-curricular resume (bein' an RA, part of two fraternities as a national officer, sexual assault counselor and an assistant with the Dean's Office to name a few), and I was pre-law but decided to take some time off to make sure I was choosing the right career path...now I'm workin' at an amazing mortgage banking firm, as the Senior Outsourcing Project Manager (also receiving training to become a Loan Officer) doing what I feel the vast majority of fresh college graduates aren't doing. The more I learn about the financial industry, the more excited I get, and I feel that an MBA would be a great resource in my pursuit to excel within the industry...so yeah, sorry for blabberin' on and on, but here's my question:

Would applying to some of the top 20, part-time programs (as opposed to strictly daytime fulltime programs) be the way to go for me? I've compared the part-time stats with the full-time ones, and right now I'm in the 700 range after taken a few initial tests (i just started studying for the GMAT recently). So yeah, on top of that, if you were in a part-time program, are you able to transfer into a full-time day program after a year's course work? Once again, I apologize for the verbose post, but if you could help point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks and take care,

--
800 please.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2004, 12:25
Expert's post
The good news is that, even if your undergrad GPA is low, you're fresh out of school, so you have a lot of time to really make an impact in your career before applying to b-school. If you put together a stellar resume over the next couple of years, your undergrad grades will be less of a factor.

When were you thinking of applying? I don't believe that part-time programs take younger people than full-time counterparts. In fact, I think their students tend to be a bit older than their full-time counterparts (although I don't think being older is a requirement). Anyway, you probably should wait a few years, either way.

Some programs (e.g., Kellogg) do let people transfer from part-time to full-time, but it's not easy at all. I know a couple of people who did it, and it was harder to make the transfer than it was for them to get into the part-time program to begin with. So, I wouldn't consider that to be a foolproof plan. What if you get into a part-time program, find that you hate burning the candle at both ends (which ends up happening to a lot of part-timers), and then can't transfer?

Is that the main reason why you're interested in a part-time program, because you think it would be easier to get into? That is often the case (on a pure numbers basis), but you'll naturally need to come up with more compelling reasons than that if you want to impress adcomms.

I don't mean to sound harsh. The main takeaway is that you still have a lot of time. If I were you, I'd focus on getting 3-5 years of killer experience and then applying, whether you're thinking of a part-time or a full-time program by that time.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Last edited by quixx23 on 11 Aug 2004, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2004, 12:27
Greetings,

While such a transfer might be possible, it is probably not a good idea to rely on this pathway. Roughly half of the Elite and Transelite schools offer some form of PT program. However, it is a risky assumption that one can transfer from the evening program to the day program. Further, while one might not need as high a standing on some criteria for the PT programs one would also be likely to need a higher standing on other criteria such as experience.

Berkeley

“IS IT POSSIBLE TO TRANSFER BETWEEN THE FULL-TIME AND EVENING & WEEKEND PROGRAMS?
Yes, transfers between the two programs are allowed, but only on a space-available basis.”

Michigan

“Q: Can I start in the Evening Program and transfer into the Day Program? If so, when?
A: It is neither encouraged nor guaranteed that students will be able to transfer from the Evening to Day Program. Students are advised that they should plan on finishing the program to which they were admitted. However, students may petition for transfer from the Evening to the Day Program after finishing the core requirements. Based on limited availability as well as reason for transfer, requests will be considered.”

Texas

“Will TEMBA students be able to transfer to other UT MBA programs?
Transferring between programs must be approved by the directors of both programs and is not encouraged. Prospective TEMBA students should only apply if they expect to complete the TEMBA program.”

Hjort