Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 06:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [2] , given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 02:55
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (01:40) correct 24% (00:45) wrong based on 247 sessions
A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine provided the Stegosaurus dinosaur with an especially efficient solar heating and cooling system to allow them to move comfortably through different climatic regions.

A)to allow them to move comfortably
B)to allow it a comfortable movement
C)that allowed it to move comfortably
D)that allowed their comfortable movement
E)Allowing them to move comfortably
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

Last edited by hfbamafan on 20 Apr 2012, 03:14, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 253 [1] , given: 11

Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 03:12
This post received
KUDOS
As we are talking about the Stegosaurus dinosaur here, 'them' and 'their' is wrong. That leaves us with (B) and (C).

Of these, (C) is the best choice as it is clearer in meaning and also better structured.

(C) is the answer.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 03:15
I chose E for some reason could someone explain why E is wrong.

Thanks

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 14:38
hfbamafan wrote:
I chose E for some reason could someone explain why E is wrong.

Thanks

E is wrong because it uses "Them", when the subject is singular stegosaurus dinosaur, A is incorrect for same reason.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 22:14
A,B & E are out coz of 'them' and 'their' since dinosaur is singular and should have 'it'...that leaves us with C & D...i chose C coz A row of uptight fan shaped plates.......that allowed sounds better than A row of uptight fan shaped plates....to allow
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 18

Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 02:38
why b is wrong here. any expert suggestion??

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 118

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 10

Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 12:35
Expert's post
B is wrong because "a comfortable movement" doesn't really make sense. The dinosaur moved, but it didn't "have a movement."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 02:03
hfbamafan wrote:
A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine provided the Stegosaurus dinosaur with an especially efficient solar heating and cooling system to allow them to move comfortably through different climatic regions.

S-V agreement err so eliminated A, D & E
B vs. C: Chose B
"to move comfortably" is succinct & eliminates any awkwardness...I don't spot anything else wrong with B

Cheers
GODSPEED
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 03:25

To add over the given explanations why B is wrong, I think the phrase is not logically connected. "To Allow it" and "A comfortable Movement" should be gramatically connected. In option B "A comfortable movement" is used as a noun. An appropriate usage would have been - "To allow it to have a comfortable movement .."
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 17

Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 07:51
GyanOne wrote:
As we are talking about the Stegosaurus dinosaur here, 'them' and 'their' is wrong. That leaves us with (B) and (C).

Of these, (C) is the best choice as it is clearer in meaning and also better structured.

(C) is the answer.

HI,

What apart from S_V error is there any other mistake in E?

Please tell me if "Allowing it to move comfortably" is correct or not.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 20:31
vivekdixit07 wrote:
GyanOne wrote:

(C) is the answer.

HI,

What apart from S_V error is there any other mistake in E?

Please tell me if "Allowing it to move comfortably" is correct or not.

Yes, it is correct. There is just the SV agreement error and if you eliminate that then the sentence is correct.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 23:46
Hi Friends/experts,

My two cents on the question. "C" is definitely the most clear answer, however this is not a good GMAT question.

Explaining the correct answer:
A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine provided the Stegosaurus dinosaur with an especially efficient solar heating and cooling system that allowed it to move comfortably

Do you see what I pointed out here? "it" is never used with living things! In this case it has to be either he/she. I guess GMAT would not do that!

Experts,
Do you agree?

I wasted 10-15 seconds thinking about it. But at the end, I knew this is the only answer that makes most sense.

-K
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 44

Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 01:02
hfbamafan wrote:

I went with E without checking "them" in it...
I was wrong :(

I have couple of doubts...

A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine provided the Stegosaurus dinosaur with an especially efficient solar heating and cooling system , allowing it to move comfortably through different climatic regions.
If this was case it would be more clear right???
Because comma with -ING modifier will modify whole preceding clause?
Wont this be more sensible answer, though its not listed in choices...

If i miss anything pls correct me...

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 546 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 22:58
Expert's post
What is "that" referring to in the correct answer choice?
I thought "that" may refer to just cooling system and thereby change the meaning, but I was wrong.
Shouldn't the "that" just refer to the closest one?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern

Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 01:09
Hi Marcab,

"that" correctly refers to the cooling system. It's the cooling system that helps dino's to move through diff. climatic conditions.

I hope I clarified your concern.

thanks,

-K
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 546 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 01:15
Expert's post
Hii Kartik.
If "that" were to refer to just "cooling system" then it may not enable the animal to move comfortably through "different" climatic regions. Moreover it changes the meaning also.
After a close inspection I realised that its the "system" that is being modified by "that" and this "system" is the "solar heating and cooling system".

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern

Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 01:18
Hi Marcab,

I skipped to write the complete part my bad. "that refers" to the COMPLETE system i.e. solar and cooling system.

thanks,

-K
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 03:04
DmitryFarber wrote:
B is wrong because "a comfortable movement" doesn't really make sense. The dinosaur moved, but it didn't "have a movement."

Hi Dmitry,

Had E had 'it' instead of 'them', would it have been correct?

Also, is the above sentence grammatically correct ? trying to understand the correct usage of 'had'..

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 01:13
noun to do
vs
noun doing/that do

is the traditional split gmat plays on us.

it is not easy to counter this split if we do not know the split before.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 118

Kudos [?]: 197 [1] , given: 10

Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 10:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
For Sachin:

Using the correct pronoun ("it" instead of "they") would definitely improve E, but we'd need a comma before "allowing." Without a comma, the last part (from "an especially" to the end of the sentence) becomes one enormous noun phrase, making the sentence very hard to read. Adding the comma turns the underlined portion into an adverbial modifier that modifies the previous clause. That doesn't quite match C, in which we are modifying the noun ("system"), but it would work.

The construction you used ("Had E had 'it'"), but I associate it with formal/older British English. I would say "If E had had 'it'" or "If E had said 'it.'" (Note that the first "had" indicates past perfect, and the second is just the ordinary past tense verb "had." I can say "I had said," "I had taken," "I had run," etc., so I can also say "I had had.")

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: A row of upright fan-shaped plates running down the spine   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2013, 10:53