Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 10:52
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (02:20) correct 51% (01:10) wrong based on 186 sessions
A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which is equipped with a set of sensors, some of which have been upgraded. Each unit contains the same number of non-upgraded sensors. If the number of non-upgraded sensors on one unit is 1/5 the total number of upgraded sensors on the entire satellite, what fraction of the sensors on the satellite have been upgraded?

A. 5/6
B. 1/5
C. 1/6
D. 1/7
E. 1/24
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

11 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [11] , given: 21

Re: Satellite Sensors [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 18:56
This post received
KUDOS
A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which is equipped with a set of sensors, some of which have been upgraded. Each unit contains the same number of non-upgraded sensors. If the number of non-upgraded sensors on one unit is 1/5 the total number of upgraded sensors on the entire satellite, what fraction of the sensors on the satellite have been upgraded?

No of Units-30
Let there T-Total no of sensor
U-no of upgraded sensors in one unit
Nu-No of Not upgraded senor in one unit

T= 30U+30Nu

Now we know that Nu=1/5 (30U)= 6U

So Total= 30U+30*6U = 30U+180U= 210U

Fraction= 30U/210U = 1/7 Answer is D

Regards
Jagdeep
Give Kudos if you like my post
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 82 [2] , given: 42

GMAT Tests User
Re: Satellite Sensors [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 19:32
This post received
KUDOS
number of non upgraded sensors per unit = 1/5 (U)
where U is the total number of upgraded sensors in 30 units.

=> number of non upgraded sensors in 30 units = N= 30*(1/5)U= 6U

total number of sensors = U + N = U+6U = 7U

=> upgraded is U/(7U) fraction of the total = 1/7

Answer is D.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Satellite Sensors [#permalink] New post 26 May 2012, 20:49
Does anyone else find this problem hard to understand and translate into an equation? I understand it clearly after the explanation but I think it is poorly worded.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 82

Re: A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 10:39
Bunuel..i got this question wrong in my MGMAT TEST.. will u send me some liink of question like this??

I got confused when i saw fraction question like this..and hard percentage question..

Thank u :)

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 515 [3] , given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: Satellite Sensors [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 10:57
This post received
KUDOS
Cares wrote:
Does anyone else find this problem hard to understand and translate into an equation? I understand it clearly after the explanation but I think it is poorly worded.

Not really poorly worded, but maybe lengthy, and all those words, upgraded and non-upgraded... Annoying a little bit.

If N is the number of non-upgraded sensors in every one of the 30 units, and U is the number of those upgraded, we can write N = (1/5)*30U = 6U.
This is the key equation, it is the translation of the information " ...the number of non-upgraded sensors on one unit is 1/5 the total number of upgraded sensors on the entire satellite...".
So, we have U upgraded sensors and 6U non-upgraded ones, which means that the upgraded sensors represent U/7U = 1/7 from the total number of sensors.
No need to multiply by 30, we are given that each unit has the same number of sensors of each type. Anyway, if you multiply by 30, it will cancel out and the final ratio is the same 1/7.

Answer D.

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 85

Re: A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 05:23
The question needs to be read very carefully and under timed conditions it's very easy to lose track with the wording; in the review of my Mgmat exam is ranked as 700-800 level by the way, so maybe it needs to be somewhat painful ;)

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

SVP
SVP
Followers: 196

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 05:57
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 167

Re: A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 22:10
Lets say total no. of upgraded sensors on whole satellite = 30
Then each module will have 1 upgraded sensor ......... (1)
\frac{1}{5} th of 30 = 6 non-upgraded sensor on each module....... (2)

Total sensors in one module = (1) + (2)

= 6+1 = 7

Total sensors on all 30 modules = 30 * 7 = 210

Fraction = \frac{30}{210} = \frac{1}{7}

Answer = D

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 17

Re: A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 05:18
varunmaheshwari wrote:

A. 5/6
B. 1/5
C. 1/6
D. 1/7
E. 1/24

Thanks for the explanations on this question! It took me a while to understand this question - the wording kept throwing me off. I finally approached it as below:

There are 30 Units, each with multiple sensors.

Sensors are either U or NU
Total number of sensors = total U + total NU

Given that total NU = 1/5 U; then 5NU = U
Also, there are same number of NUs in each unit; therefore 30NUs in total

Now plugging into the first equation:
Total sensors = 5NU + 30 NU = 35 NU

Question asks for total U/total sensors = 5NU/35NU = 1/7

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 11-25-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 15

Re: A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which [#permalink] New post 30 May 2014, 10:04
varunmaheshwari wrote:

A. 5/6
B. 1/5
C. 1/6
D. 1/7
E. 1/24

A slightly different approach:

Let x be the number of non-upgraded sensors on a single unit (which is the same for all units). Therefore, there are 30x non upgraded units on the entire satellite.

We also know that the number of non-upgraded units on a single unit (which is x) is 1/5 the total number of upgraded sensors. Therefore, 5x equals the total number of upgraded units.

Thus, to find the fraction that have been updated, we simply take upgraded/total, which is 5x/ (30x+5x) = 5/35 = 1/7.

Answer: D
Re: A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which   [#permalink] 30 May 2014, 10:04