Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 11:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A school administrator will assign each student in a group

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 948 [1] , given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: This one is tough one... atleast for me [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 00:46
This post received
KUDOS
amitjash wrote:
A school administrator will assign each student in a group of n students to one of m classrooms. If 3 < m < 13 < n, is it possible to assign each of the n students to one of the m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it?
(1) It is possible to assign each of 3n students to one of m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it.
(2) It is possible to assign each of 13n students to one of m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it.

If each of the 13n students are assign to one of the m classes => 13n and m have HCF greater than 1.
=> since m <13 and it has hcf>1 with 13n, n and m also have hcf >1. Thus statement 2 is sufficient.

If you apply the same with statement 1, 3n and m have hfc >1. But it is possible that n and m does not have hcf>1 as m could be 3,6,9. Thus not sufficient.

Answer:B

Eg of statement 1: Suppose you have 30 students, you can distribute them in m classes only if 30 and m have hcf>1.
30 = 2*3*5. If m does not have any common factor how can you distribute? Say m = 7. 30 can not be distributed in 7 classes.

Eg of statement 2: say 13n = 13*10 =130 are distributed among m classes and since m<13 => for 13n students to be distributed in m classes, m must be multiple of 5.

Since n and m both have a common factor 5, n students can be distributed among m classes.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 6

Re: This one is tough one... atleast for me [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 00:49
This post received
KUDOS
Mathematically speaking, the question is: is n divisible by m !!

(1) 3n is divisible by m. It doesn't say if n is divisible by m because 3 < m < 13. Indeed, n can be equal to 14 and m = 6. In that case m does neither divide 3 nor n. But with m = 6 and n = 18, m divides n.
INSUFFICIENT

(2) 13n is divisible by n. But 13 is a prime number that m can't divide! Besides 3 < m < 13 so it can't be a combination of 13 and n (like 13* 2) that can be divided by 13.

ANS : B.

Hope it's clear enough...
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 480 [1] , given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: This one is tough one... atleast for me [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 07:17
This post received
KUDOS
amitjash wrote:
A school administrator will assign each student in a group of n students to one of m classrooms. If 3 < m < 13 < n, is it possible to assign each of the n students to one of the m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it?
(1) It is possible to assign each of 3n students to one of m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it.
(2) It is possible to assign each of 13n students to one of m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it.

I can rephrase the question as :

3<m<13<n. Does m divide n ?
(1) m divides 3n
(2) m divides 13n

(1) : Not sufficient. Eg. m=6, n=14 m does not divide n. But m=6, n=18 m divides n. But each case m divides 3n. So clearly not sufficient

(2) : Since m<13 and 13 is prime. m cannot divide 13, hence m must divide n. So sufficient

Answer is (B)

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 37

Re: This one is tough one... atleast for me [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 15:18
amitjash wrote:

Please help me understand what is wrong in this approach. I just used number.
chice 2: Let n=14..Hence 13X14=182. Now choosing m between 3 < m < 13 < n.
Say m=7. Then 182 is divisible by 7. But when m=5 it is not divisible. So (2) is not sufficient.
Some one please explain what is wrong in choosing numbers to solve this and where I am missing something.

Thanks,
VP

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 480 [1] , given: 25

Re: This one is tough one... atleast for me [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 15:20
This post received
KUDOS
vigneshpandi wrote:
amitjash wrote:

Please help me understand what is wrong in this approach. I just used number.
chice 2: Let n=14..Hence 13X14=182. Now choosing m between 3 < m < 13 < n.
Say m=7. Then 182 is divisible by 7. But when m=5 it is not divisible. So (2) is not sufficient.
Some one please explain what is wrong in choosing numbers to solve this and where I am missing something.

In (2) it is given that m divides 13n. In your example, 7 does divide 13n, ie, 182. But 5 does not, so it is not a valid choice for m

Math write-ups

My GMAT story

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Students per classroom [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 17:57

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: Students per classroom [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 19:32
So n has to be multiple of m.. lets say n = km where k > 1

1) states that 3n = lm (where each room has l number of people). as 3 being a prime number, lm must be divisible by 3. so is l/3 = k (an integer). we don't know as in all scenario its possibel

- l,m are divisible by 3 >> here l/3 is an integer
- only m is divisible by 3
- only l is divisible by 3 >> here l/3 is an integer
so not sufficient

2)13n = lm..so lm must be divisible by 13, 13 being a prime number and as m < 13 , l/13 must be an integer. That means n = km where k = l/13 Hence sufficient. Answer should be B
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 15

Re: Students per classroom [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 21:27
B is my answer. if 13n is divisible by m then 3n has to be divisible by m.

-AD

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 480 [0], given: 25

Re: Students per classroom [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 22:23
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Students per classroom [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 09:46
shrouded1 wrote:
mergin similar topics

Thanks shrouded1!, have you become moderator of the forum?
I said this because you have merged the topics.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 480 [0], given: 25

Re: Students per classroom [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 10:32
metallicafan wrote:
shrouded1 wrote:
mergin similar topics

Thanks shrouded1!, have you become moderator of the forum?
I said this because you have merged the topics.

Yep ! :)

Posted from my mobile device Image

Math write-ups

My GMAT story

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Data Sufficiency #128 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 06:44
Hello everyone,

I need some help with an official question. #128 in the DS section of the 12th ed. official guide:

Correct answer is B.

I understand why (1) is not sufficient however I can not grasp why (2) is sufficient. Can someone please explain?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3494

Kudos [?]: 26278 [2] , given: 2708

Re: Data Sufficiency #128 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 07:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jferes2345 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I need some help with an official question. #128 in the DS section of the 12th ed. official guide:

Correct answer is B.

I understand why (1) is not sufficient however I can not grasp why (2) is sufficient. Can someone please explain?

Basically the question asks whether n (# of students) is a multiple of m (# of classrooms), or whether \frac{n}{m}=integer, because if it is then we would be able to assign students to classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it.

Given: 3<m<13<n.

(1) It is possible to assign each of 3n students to one of m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it --> \frac{3n}{m}=integer, from this we can not say whether \frac{n}{m}=integer. For example n indeed might be a multiple of m (n=14 and m=7) but also it as well might not be (n=14 and m=6). Not sufficient.

(2) It is possible to assign each of 13n students to one of m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it --> \frac{13n}{m}=integer, now as given that 3<m<13 then 13 (prime number) is not a multiple of m, so \frac{13n}{m} to be an integer the n must be multiple of m. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope its' clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Data Sufficiency #128 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 07:43
Thanks a million. I was making this so much harder then it really was. Thanks again.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

Re: Data Sufficiency #128 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 12:44
Questions is asking indirectly whether n is divisible by m or not.

as per A, 3n is divisible by m. This does not necessarily mean n is divisible by m. For ex- n=12, m=4 and N=6 and m=9

as per B, 13n is divisible by m. notice that 13 is a prime number and so, the other factor, n has to be divisible by m.

Answer:-B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
A school administrator will assign each student [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 17:48
A school administrator will assign each student in a group of n students to one of m
classrooms. If 3 < m < 13 < n, is it possible to assign each of the n students to one of the
m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it?

(1) It is possible to assign each of 3n students to one of m classrooms so that each
classroom has the same number of students assigned to it.
(2) It is possible to assign each of 13n students to one of m classrooms so that each
classroom has the same number of students assigned to it.

Took a long time in this ques. any efficient way to solve this.

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
WE 1: Finance 6 years
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A school administrator will assign each student [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 01:05
The Question is If N/M is an integer ?

(1) 3N/M is an integer
Case 1 - N=15 M=3 it is clearly an integer when we substitute in above equ.
Case 2 - N=14 M=6 Satisfy the statement 2 but doesn't work for above equ.
Therefore Insuff.

(2) 13N/M= integer
13 is a prime number and since m is less than 13 therefore for this statement to hold true, N/M has to be integer. Hence Sufficient.

I hope that helps.

In The World Full Of Duplicates,, I Am The Only Masterpiece..
Girl Power
beat-the-beast-with-non-native-speaker-108349.html

Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Data Sufficiency #128 [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 07:33
Thanks Bunuel :)

I was looking for a clearer explanation

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
OG DS 128 Arithmetic Properties [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 21:19
128. A school administrator will assign each student in a group of n students to one of m classrooms. If 3 < m < 13 < n, is it possible to assign each of the n students to one of the m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it?

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
is n divisible by m [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 10:10
128) A school administer will assign each student in a group of n students to one of m classrooms.If 3<m<13<n, is it possible to assign each of the n students to one of the m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it?

1) It is possible to assign each of 3n students to one of m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it.

2) Its is possible to assign each of 13n students to one of m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it.

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

is n divisible by m   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2011, 10:10