Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 22:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A school administrator will assign each student in a group

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
8 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [8] , given: 1

A school administrator will assign each student in a group [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2012, 21:10
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (02:53) correct 58% (02:05) wrong based on 466 sessions
A school administrator will assign each student in a group of N students to one of M classrooms. If 3<M<13<N, is it possible to assign each of the N students to one of the M classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it?

(1) It is possible to assign each of 3N students to one of M classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it.

(2) It is possible to assign each of 13N students to one of M classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
35 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3493

Kudos [?]: 26248 [35] , given: 2707

Re: A school admin will assign each student in a group of N [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2012, 21:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
gwiz87 wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping someone can help me understand the problem below:

A school admin will assign each student in a group of N students to one of M classrooms. If 3<M<13<N, is it possible to assign each of the N students to one of the M classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it?

(1) It is possible to assign each of 3N students to one of M classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it.

(2) It is possible to assign each of 13N students to one of M classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it.

Can you please explain this to me?

Welcome to GMAT Club. Below is a solution for your problem. Please don't hesitate to ask in case of any question.

A school administrator will assign each student in a group of n students to one of m classrooms. If 3 < m < 13 < n, is it possible to assign each of the n students to one of the m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it?

Basically the question asks whether n (# of students) is a multiple of m (# of classrooms), or whether \frac{n}{m}=integer, because if it is then we would be able to assign students to classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it.

Given: 3<m<13<n.

(1) It is possible to assign each of 3n students to one of m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it --> \frac{3n}{m}=integer, from this we can not say whether \frac{n}{m}=integer. For example n indeed might be a multiple of m (n=14 and m=7) but also it as well might not be (n=14 and m=6). Not sufficient.

(2) It is possible to assign each of 13n students to one of m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it --> \frac{13n}{m}=integer, now as given that 3<m<13 then 13 (prime number) is not a multiple of m, so \frac{13n}{m} to be an integer the n must be multiple of m. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope its' clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 1

Re: A school admin will assign each student in a group of N [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2012, 21:24
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks! Your explanation was much clearer than the guide.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: A school administrator will assign each student in a group [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 01:52
pls, explain why from 13n/m= interger we can have n/m= interger. only by picking numbers we have this conclusion.

why from 13/m=no integer, we can have n/m=integer.

why b is correct. I can get B correct by picking numbers but the reasoning must be clear.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26248 [2] , given: 2707

Re: A school administrator will assign each student in a group [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 02:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
thangvietnam wrote:
pls, explain why from 13n/m= interger we can have n/m= interger. only by picking numbers we have this conclusion.

why from 13/m=no integer, we can have n/m=integer.

why b is correct. I can get B correct by picking numbers but the reasoning must be clear.

For (2) we have that \frac{13n}{m}=integer and 3<m<13. Now, 13 is a prime number thus it has only 2 factors 1 and 13, which means that m cannot be a factor of 13 (since 3<m<13, then it's neither 1 nor 13). Therefore in order \frac{13n}{m} to be an integer, m must be a factor of n.

Hope it's clear.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: A school administrator will assign each student in a group [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 15:21
I actually worked this problem out

I picked numbers for statement 1 and found it to be insufficient where:

N=15, M=5

3n/m = 45/5=15 ---> 15/5=3 -----> n is divisible by m or n/m is an integer

and N=15, M=9

3n/m = 45/9=5 ---> 15/9=1.3333 -----> n is NOT divisible by m or n/m is NOT an integer

For statement 2 I picked numbers:

N=14

13N = 182

M=4 no M=5 no M=6 no

I got lazy at that point and said 182 is an even number and isn't divisible by 4 or 6, probably nothing will work and chose answer E although unsure.

Upon re-examining it, I see 7 would have worked. However I agree if you can express this algebraically as you did and the OG's answers did, it does become much simpler than picking these vast arrays of numbers.

My problem with your logic (and the OG's) is that finding statement 2 sufficient is based solely on the fact that 13 is a prime number, is 3 not also a prime? What condition allows you to draw this conclusion for the statement that 13n/m = integer that you can't for 3n/m = integer?
1 KUDOS received
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 285 [1] , given: 656

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A school administrator will assign each student in a group [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 20:56
This post received
KUDOS
kelleygrad05 wrote:

I picked numbers for statement 1 and found it to be insufficient where:

N=15, M=5

and N=15, M=9

3n/m = 45/9=5 ---> 15/9=1.3333 -----> n is NOT divisible by m or n/m is NOT an integer

N=14

13N = 182

M=4 no M=5 no M=6 no

I got lazy at that point and said 182 is an even number and isn't divisible by 4 or 6, probably nothing will work and chose answer E although unsure.

Upon re-examining it, I see 7 would have worked. However I agree if you can express this algebraically as you did and the OG's answers did, it does become much simpler than picking these vast arrays of numbers.

My problem with your logic (and the OG's) is that finding statement 2 sufficient is based solely on the fact that 13 is a prime number, is 3 not also a prime? What condition allows you to draw this conclusion for the statement that 13n/m = integer that you can't for 3n/m = integer?

Hi kellygrad05,

For St 2 , we are given that 13N/M= Integer and that 3<M<13<N. Now since M, N are integers, we get Value of M can be from (4,5,6...12) and N can be any no greater than 13.Out of the possible values for M, not a single number can divide 13 because it is prime and its only divisor will be 1 and 13. Then for 13N/M to be an integer N has to be a multiple of M or else 13N/M cannot be an Integer which will contradict the given statement itself.

for St1, we are given that 3N/M =Integer and from Q. stem we get 3<M<13<N. Now In possible values of M that can make 3/M in fraction form will be 6,9 and 12 which will result in 3/M value as 1/2,1/3 and 1/4 respectively.

Now if N=15, and M=3 we get 3N/M =15 as integer and N/M also as Integer(Y).
If N=16 and M=3, we get 3N/M=16 as Integer but N/M is not an Integer(N) and hence not sufficient.

Therefore from St 1 we can get 2 ans and hence not sufficient.

Thanks
Mridul

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26248 [1] , given: 2707

Re: A school administrator will assign each student in a group [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 03:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kelleygrad05 wrote:

Not so.

(2) implies that \frac{13n}{m}=integer but we also know that 3<m<13. If we were not told that, then it would be possible m to be for example 26 and in this case n may or may not be a multiple of m, for example consider n=2 and n=26.

Hope it's clear.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: A school administrator will assign each student in a group [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 00:59
I want to follow this posting.

not easy at all.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 578 [1] , given: 135

Premium Member
Re: A school administrator will assign each student in a group [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 03:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Explained perfectly by Bunuel. Still, those who have a problem visualizing it, just try to plugin numbers for N and M. Given that 3<M<13<N.

Let N=15, M=5. Thus "is it possible to assign each of the N students to one of the M classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it" NOW means is it possible to assign each of the 15 students to one of the classrooms(out of 5), the no of students being the same in each class. Thus, as we see that we can send 3 students to each of the 5 classes, we know that YES it is possible. Thus to prove whether the given generalized statement is possible, we have to prove that M is a factor of N.

From F.S 1, we know M is a factor of 3N. We have to find out whether M is a factor for N also. We can not say this with confidence. Assume M=6, and N =16. Here, M is not a factor of N. Yet,M(6) is a factor of 3N(48). Not sufficient.

From F.S 2, we know that M is a factor of 13N. Now, as 3<M<13, we know that M is co-prime to 13. Thus, it can only be a factor to N. Hence sufficient.

B.

All that is equal and not-Deep Dive In-equality

Hit and Trial for Integral Solutions

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 43

Re: A school administrator will assign each student in a group [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 10:17
The hardest part of this problem wasn't the math. It was the prompt.

Could someone break it down for me?

is it possible to assign each of the N students to one of the M classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it?

"is it possible" to me implied whether we can choose an two values within the problem's given inequality to make n/m an integer, at all which we could for condition 1.

We appreciate your kudos'

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26248 [0], given: 2707

Re: A school administrator will assign each student in a group [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 05:30
Expert's post
manimgoindowndown wrote:

is it possible to assign each of the N students to one of the M classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it?

"is it possible" to me implied whether we can choose an two values within the problem's given inequality to make n/m an integer, at all which we could for condition 1.

There are:
m classrooms where 3 < m < 13 < n.
n students where 3 < m < 13 < n.

We are asked to find whether we can divide equally n students in m classrooms, so whether n/m is an integer.

Does this make sense?

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 43

Re: A school administrator will assign each student in a group [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 08:50
Bunuel wrote:
manimgoindowndown wrote:

There are:
m classrooms where 3 < m < 13 < n.
n students where 3 < m < 13 < n.

We are asked to find whether we can divide equally n students in m classrooms, so whether n/m is an integer.

Does this make sense?

It is possible as you demonstrated in your solutions post to have a situation where premise I will make n/m an integer. However it is also possible that there is a situation where it wont be an integer. I guess I focused on the possibility part. Since its possible I would see I. As correct.

We appreciate your kudos'

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 10

Re: A school administrator will assign each student in a group [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 23:47
gwiz87 wrote:
A school administrator will assign each student in a group of N students to one of M classrooms. If 3<M<13<N, is it possible to assign each of the N students to one of the M classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it?

Given: 3<M<13<N

Question: Can N/M be an integer?

Statement 1: 3N/M is an integer. Not sufficient as this does not conclusively answer whether N/M is an integer. Either N/M is an integer or M is a multiple of 3. Both are possible. For example when 3N/M = (3*15)/5 then N/M is an integer but when 3N/M = (3*14)/6, M is a multiple of 3 and N/M is not an integer.

Statement 2: 13N/M is an integer. Either N/M has to be an integer or M is a multiple of 13. Because M<13, the latter is ruled out. Therefore N/M is an integer.

So the question can be answered from this statement alone.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com/courses.php

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A school admin will assign each student in a group of N [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 13:28
Bunuel wrote:
gwiz87 wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping someone can help me understand the problem below:

A school admin will assign each student in a group of N students to one of M classrooms. If 3<M<13<N, is it possible to assign each of the N students to one of the M classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it?

Welcome to GMAT Club. Below is a solution for your problem. Please don't hesitate to ask in case of any question.

A school administrator will assign each student in a group of n students to one of m classrooms. If 3 < m < 13 < n, is it possible to assign each of the n students to one of the m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it?

Basically the question asks whether n (# of students) is a multiple of m (# of classrooms), or whether \frac{n}{m}=integer, because if it is then we would be able to assign students to classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it.

Hi Bunuel, I could not understand how you inferred whether \frac{n}{m}=integer[/m] from this question stem?

I tried to plug in few values to the question stem to help me understand your line of thought, but I could not. As always, thank you for your great help and support.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26248 [2] , given: 2707

Re: A school admin will assign each student in a group of N [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 13:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mitmat wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
gwiz87 wrote:
Hi,

Hi Bunuel, I could not understand how you inferred whether \frac{n}{m}=integer[/m] from this question stem?

I tried to plug in few values to the question stem to help me understand your line of thought, but I could not. As always, thank you for your great help and support.

The question asks whether we can divide n students into m classes so that each classroom has the same number of students. For example, if there are 20 students and 10 classrooms, then we can assign 2 students to each of the 10 classrooms but if there are 20 students and say 9 classrooms, then we cannot assign (divide) 20 students to 9 classrooms so that each classroom to have the same number of students.

So, we need to determine whether n will be divisible by m, or which is the same whether n/m=integer.

Hope it's clear.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: A school admin will assign each student in a group of N [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2013, 14:22
Hi Bunuel!

What about n=24 and m=4?

13*24/4 is an integer, so the divisibility of the classes would still be possible. Awaiting for your reply.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26248 [0], given: 2707

Re: A school admin will assign each student in a group of N [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2013, 14:24
Expert's post
sebby05 wrote:
Hi Bunuel!

What about n=24 and m=4?

13*24/4 is an integer, so the divisibility of the classes would still be possible. Awaiting for your reply.

In this case too n (24) is a multiple of m (4).

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A school administrator will assign each student in a group [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2014, 09:31
kelleygrad05 wrote:

I picked numbers for statement 1 and found it to be insufficient
where:

N=15, M=5

and N=15, M=9

N=14

13N = 182

M=4 no M=5 no M=6 no

Because 3<m<13<n. Therefore 13 cannot divide m.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 100

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A school administrator will assign each student in a group [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2014, 04:05
Bunuel wrote:
gwiz87 wrote:
Hi,

Given: 3<m<13<n.

(1) It is possible to assign each of 3n students to one of m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it --> \frac{3n}{m}=integer, from this we can not say whether \frac{n}{m}=integer. For example n indeed might be a multiple of m (n=14 and m=7) but also it as well might not be (n=14 and m=6). Not sufficient.

(2) It is possible to assign each of 13n students to one of m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it --> \frac{13n}{m}=integer, now as given that 3<m<13 then 13 (prime number) is not a multiple of m, so \frac{13n}{m} to be an integer the n must be multiple of m. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope its' clear.

Dear Bunuel,

I have concern here.

To explain for (2) 13n/m to be integer, you said that since 13 is prime and 3<m<13 --> 13/m = non-integer --> n/m must be integer, then 13n/m = integer.
So why the same reasoning cannot be applied for (1) as following:
--> (1): 3n/m = integer. Since 3<m<13 and 3 is prime --> 3/m = non-integer --> n/m must be integer, then 3n/m = integer --> sufficient

Please help me to clarify this point. Thank you so much!

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

Re: A school administrator will assign each student in a group   [#permalink] 25 Jun 2014, 04:05