Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [54]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [27]
Given Kudos: 130
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [6]
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Re: A scientist is studying bacteria whose cell population doubles at [#permalink]
Hi mikemcgarry
thanks a lot.wonderful explanation......... :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A scientist is studying bacteria whose cell population doubles at [#permalink]
The OA doesn't make any sense, because the stem states:

Quote:
Four hours from now, immediately after the population doubles, the scientist will destroy the entire sample

That means the population doubles at the 4 hour mark. So, from the second statement:

Quote:
The population will double to 40,000 cells with one hour remaining until the scientist destroys the sample

We can infer that the doubling period is 1 hour.

So now I am confused about the usefulness of MGMAT. Plus it has some nonsense questions where non-convex polygons come into play.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
A scientist is studying bacteria whose cell population doubles at [#permalink]
Quote:
You are interpreting this as the first and only doubling period

I am not. I am saying it is a point in time where doubling occurs, however. If it also occurs at the 3hr mark (as the second statement would suggest), then the second statement is sufficient, because you can infer the doubling period as 1 hour.

Quote:
Does it double again at 6:00 pm? Maybe, we don't know.

But we do know, because the destruction occurs immediately after a doubling!

Here's an example:
Immediately after I take a bite of salad, I take a sip of water (and I never sip water without taking a bite of salad).

I took a bite of salad an hour ago. Right now I am taking a sip of water.

From that you can infer that I have taken a bite of salad just a moment ago (as well as an hour ago, and also that I took a sip of water an hour ago), because I take a sip of water immediately after a bite of salad. Given these facts, there is not a "we don't know" of whether I took a bite of salad or not.

Quote:
So now I am confused about the usefulness of MGMAT.

Here, I was just asking a question. Thanks for answering it. You're right that I was being a little too critical.

However, I would appreciate it very much if you could look at what I am actually saying, without making assumptions, and then tell me what you think.

I also appreciate the rest of your advice, but I'm really focusing on the question here.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Mkappa wrote:
Quote:
You are interpreting this as the first and only doubling period

I am not. I am saying it is a point in time where doubling occurs, however. If it also occurs at the 3hr mark (as the second statement would suggest), then the second statement is sufficient, because you can infer the doubling period as 1 hour.

Quote:
Does it double again at 6:00 pm? Maybe, we don't know.

But we do know, because the destruction occurs immediately after a doubling!

Here's an example:
Immediately after I take a bite of salad, I take a sip of water (and I never sip water without taking a bite of salad).

I took a bite of salad an hour ago. Right now I am taking a sip of water.

From that you can infer that I have taken a bite of salad just a moment ago (as well as an hour ago, and also that I took a sip of water an hour ago), because I take a sip of water immediately after a bite of salad. Given these facts, there is not a "we don't know" of whether I took a bite of salad or not.

Quote:
So now I am confused about the usefulness of MGMAT.

Here, I was just asking a question. Thanks for answering it. You're right that I was being a little too critical.

However, I would appreciate it very much if you could look at what I am actually saying, without making assumptions, and then tell me what you think.

I also appreciate the rest of your advice, but I'm really focusing on the question here.

Dear Mkappa,

My friend, yes, my fault, you are quite right. :-) The question explicitly says that the last "doubling" occurs immediately before the population was destroyed. Let's look careful at the text. I will provide some clock times just to make things clear.

The prompt:
A scientist is studying bacteria whose cell population doubles at constant intervals, at which times each cell in the population divides simultaneously. Four hours from now, immediately after the population doubles, the scientist will destroy the entire sample. How many cells will the population contain when the bacteria is destroyed?
OK, let's say right now is 2:00 pm. We know that, at 6:00 pm, there will be a final doubling event, followed immediately by the destruction of the sample. At this point we have absolutely no idea of absolute counts of the cells, and we don't know the doubling period.

I will look only at the second statement, since your question concerns that.
(2) The population will double to 40,000 cells with one hour remaining until the scientist destroys the sample.
Now, we know that at 5:00 pm, a doubling event occurred, and after this event, there were 40K cells. We know have pegged an exact count at one point in time. BUT, do we know the doubling period?
Interpretation #1: The 5:00 pm doubling was the last doubling event until the 6:00 pm event. The doubling period is 1 hour. There will be 80K after the 6:00 pm doubling event.
Interpretation #2: The doubling period is 30 minutes, and so there will doubling events at 5:30 pm and at 6:00 pm. There will be 160K after the 6:00 pm doubling event.
Interpretation #3: The doubling period is 20 minutes, and so there will doubling events at 5:20 pm, 5:40 pm, and 6:00 pm. There will be 320K after the 6:00 pm doubling event.
etc.
It's true that that this statement places a mathematical limit on the doubling period --- for example, the doubling period could not be, say, 45 minutes, because then it couldn't happen at exactly 5:00 pm and exactly 6:00 pm. Nevertheless, the text of the statement does not give us any basis of deciding between these and similar interpretations. The statement literally tells us that there's a doubling event at 5:00 pm, which is one hours before the final doubling event. It doesn't indicate anything about whether other doubling events came between 5:00 pm and 6:00 pm. That's the ambiguity left open by Statement #2, which prevents us from determining a definitive answer to the prompt question. This is why Statement #2 is insufficient.

Does this analysis answer your question about Statement #2?

Finally, my friend, I will apologize about any unwarranted assumptions. I will simply caution you: questions are always fantastic, genuine questions about individual problems or open-ended questions about the quality of a particular company or source, but as soon as you shift from the curious & open question mode to a judgmental & critical mode, especially criticism about a universally respected source, it shifts everything, and at times can obscure the precise content of your question itself. It is a tremendous art to ask excellent questions, an art not to be underestimated, and the skills involved are both cognitive and affective. See:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/asking-exc ... questions/
I share this, because it is one of the habits of excellence, and I hope it helps you thrive in all your studies.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your patience, Mike! I understand that I was misinterpreting it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.97
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
I'm happy to help with this. :-)

A scientist is studying bacteria whose cell population doubles at constant intervals, at which times each cell in the population divides simultaneously. Four hours from now, immediately after the population doubles, the scientist will destroy the entire sample. How many cells will the population contain when the bacteria is destroyed?

We know destruction is four hours from now. We don't know either (a) the number of cells, i.e. the size of the population, either now or at any point in time, or (b) the period of doubling, the size of the "constant interval". Both these must be ascertained to answer the prompt question.

(1) The population just divided and, since the population divided two hours ago, the population has quadrupled, increasing by 3,750 cells.
Since the division two hours ago and the division just now, the population quadrupled -- that's two doubling periods, so each doubling period is about an hour. That's piece (b).
Since two hours ago, it quadrupled, increasing by 3,750 ---- this means 3750 is three times what it was two hours ago. We don't need to calculate, but this means we could figure out how much there was two hours ago, how much now, and therefore how much four hours from now. This statement, alone and by itself, is sufficient.

(2) The population will double to 40,000 cells with one hour remaining until the scientist destroys the sample
Well, now we have an (a) piece of information, a population at one point in time, but we know nothing about the doubling interval, and without that, we cannot answer the prompt. This statement, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

Answer = A

Hi Michael,

Could you please provide a numerical example and explanation for (1)?

I failed to understand this part "The population just divided and, since the population divided two hours ago, the population has quadrupled, increasing by 3,750 cells.[/color]
Since the division two hours ago and the division just now, the population quadrupled -- that's two doubling periods, so each doubling period is about an hour. That's piece (b).
Since two hours ago, it quadrupled, increasing by 3,750 ---- this means 3750 is three times what it was two hours ago. We don't need to calculate, but this means we could figure out how much there was two hours ago, how much now, and therefore how much four hours from now. "

Quadrupled means - 4 times as great, so i assumed that if 3750 is not divisible by 4, then the answer can not be found.

at 1h ....
at 2h the population is x+937.5
at 3h the population is x+1875
at 4h the population is x+3750

Because the population doubles at constant intervals, it means that the population will quadruple in exactly 2hours. In other words, doubling period is about 1hour.

I cant understand where i am going wrong. Please help.

Thank you.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
dimson wrote:
Hi Michael,

Could you please provide a numerical example and explanation for (1)?

I failed to understand this part "The population just divided and, since the population divided two hours ago, the population has quadrupled, increasing by 3,750 cells.[/color]
Since two hours ago, it quadrupled, increasing by 3,750 ---- this means 3750 is three times what it was two hours ago. We don't need to calculate, but this means we could figure out how much there was two hours ago, how much now, and therefore how much four hours from now. "

Quadrupled means - 4 times as great, so i assumed that if 3750 is not divisible by 4, then the answer can not be found.

at 1h ....
at 2h the population is x+937.5
at 3h the population is x+1875
at 4h the population is x+3750

Because the population doubles at constant intervals, it means that the population will quadruple in exactly 2hours. In other words, doubling period is about 1hour.

I cant understand where i am going wrong. Please help.

Thank you.

Dear dimson,

I'm happy to respond. Please call me "Mike." :-)

There is a subtle idiomatic issue that I believe is causing the confusion. Consider these two statements.
(a) By the end of 2017, the population increased to 50,000.
(b) By the end of 2017, the population increased by 50,000.
Those two mean very different things.

Sentence (a) is giving us the final amount, the end result. It's telling us that, at the end of 2017, the size of the population was 50,000.

Sentence (b) is giving us something very different. It is tell us the increase, the change in population. This one tells us that, before some unspecified start time, there was some "beginning" value of the population--call it P--and by the end of 2017, the new value for the total number in the population is (P + 50,000). Version (b) is simply telling us the size of the change, but without more information, we won't be able to calculate the total value right now.

In this problem, Statement #1 says:
The population just divided and, since the population divided two hours ago, the population has quadrupled, increasing by 3,750 cells.

In other words,
two hours ago, before that doubling period, the population was x
now, after that doubling and this one, the population is 4x
this value, 3750, is the amount of change: 4x - x = 3x
thus, 3x = 3650

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
mikemcgarry

This all makes sense, but how do we know that the period mentioned in Statement 1 refers to period 3? How do we know it does not take place in period 4?

In the examples below, both change by 3750 from 2 periods ago:
- Pd 3 example: hour 3 vs hour 1
- Pd 4 example: hour 4 vs hour 2

We could stretch this out back to period zero as well. Thoughts?

Hour 1 Hour 2 Hour 3 Hour 4
Pd 3 1250 2500 5000 10000
Pd 4 625 1250 2500 5000
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1441 [3]
Given Kudos: 994
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM