Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 18:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

a scream of my soul

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2007, 10:50
Privet Olga. are you russian?

My first score was 400 something. And last score is 710. I posted my full debrief somewhere here. GMAT is all about practicing and utilizing concepts.

Ne perejivay. Vsyo budet OK. Ver' v sebya i v sud'bu. One eshyo nikogo ne podvodila. Udachi.

BTW, if you are top manager, why do you need MBA? with your 9 years managerial WE, you can find jobs even without MBA.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Re: a scream of my soul [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2007, 11:53
OlgaN wrote:
I am shamed to say but I score 460 (Q32V22) in GMAT Prep...

So many times I have read the amazing stories at this site, so many times I have said to myself that it can be done, but now I am here to ask any advise because I do not know what to do next. I dont want to give up...

My preparation began last November. That was super time, when I thought that GMAT would take 1-2 months of my time. Thank god, that it has not taken years yet. I attended GMAT course and at the fist day I saw that it was not for me... My dream to apply in February flow away and now, one year later I understand that only some wonder can safe my goal to apply this February.

April Kaplan 520
May OG test 410
May (next day) OG test 470 ( different one)
July OG test 540
August OG test 430????????? I thought it was a mistake!
max Math 35, max Verbal 32

Last week GMAT Prep test 460...

All these months I have been solving hundreds of Math and Verbal questions, each day I spent 2-3 hours on GMAT.
I know my weak areas - I work on it, I have error log.
My biggest problem is an inattention, BUT I am always in time at GMAT and I am afraid of it because it means that I am too self-confident when answering...
By the way I have when preparing:
PS - about 70-80% RA (right answers)
DS - 50-60%
SC - 70-90%
CR - 50-80% depends on day
RC - min 50 max 90% depens on text

In GMAT Prep test I had 20 incorrect math answers and 18 incorrect verbal answers, why is my score so low????!!!

I am tired of GMAT but I cant give up... Please, help with advise.

PS I have 9 years of work experience, 5 of them as top manager. I am married, have 2 boys, youngest is 8 months. As you see I am not an English native speaker...

Thanks, It was a scream of my soul. :cry:

Hi Olga,
good to hear from you again.
ur posts reflect ur 650+ score chances. I think that was a bad day only. one off happens.

keep trying. life is full of success!!!
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: a scream of my soul [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2007, 12:10
OlgaN wrote:

So many times I have read the amazing stories at this site, so many times I have said to myself that it can be done, but now I am here to ask any advise because I do not know what to do next. I dont want to give up...

My preparation began last November. That was super time, when I thought that GMAT would take 1-2 months of my time. Thank god, that it has not taken years yet. I attended GMAT course and at the fist day I saw that it was not for me... My dream to apply in February flow away and now, one year later I understand that only some wonder can safe my goal to apply this February.

April Kaplan 520
May OG test 410
July OG test 540

All these months I have been solving hundreds of Math and Verbal questions, each day I spent 2-3 hours on GMAT.
My biggest problem is an inattention, BUT I am always in time at GMAT and I am afraid of it because it means that I am too self-confident when answering...
DS - 50-60%
SC - 70-90%

In GMAT Prep test I had 20 incorrect math answers and 18 incorrect verbal answers, why is my score so low????!!!

PS I have 9 years of work experience, 5 of them as top manager. I am married, have 2 boys, youngest is 8 months. As you see I am not an English native speaker...

Just relax!!
Take a good Sleep.....Wake up and sit down to retrospect what went wrong both during Exam and during your preparation.

Ask yourself:

1. Are you really confident in solving PS and DS?
2. Are you really confident in handling SC, RC and CR?

If you get "No" as answer then you have to identify your weaknesses one by one and then start overcoming those weaknesses by doing more and more practice.

Time is also an important factor....You may solve a question with no time constraint but under time pressure you may make more mistakes.
So practice to time yourself.

GMAT prep reflects your present ability so if you score less then you have to look at your weak areas and focus more.

Don't be so hasty.....GMAT requires fair amount of time to prepare....
It's not just about clearing the GMAT but also about to improve yourself....

Looks like you need improvements in all areas, so divide your time wisely and spend time on each section until you gain enough confidence to face GMAT again!!

Always have faith that you can do it.....
Sometimes we may have to think in practical but first we should try our best and then see if GMAT is really meant for us or not.....

- Brajesh
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: a scream of my soul [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 05:31
Ravshonbek wrote:
OlgaN wrote:

April Kaplan 520
May OG test 410
July OG test 540

DS - 50-60%
SC - 70-90%

Hi Olga,
good to hear from you again.
ur posts reflect ur 650+ score chances. I think that was a bad day only. one off happens.

keep trying. life is full of success!!!

Uzbek faces!!!! Are you new to this forum, Ravshonbek?

Olga, I don't have those files here in US, since I left all my documents and files back in Uzbekistan. But, I e-mailed my friend to send it to me. I will forward it to you as soon as I get it.
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 09:48
Seems this has become a thread for russian-speaking people.

Olga, take a break and start over with fresh state of mind.

Terpenie, terpenie, i eshio nemnogo terpeniya!

You'll get to your magic 650+ barrier!

Good luck!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: a scream of my soul [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 22:34
Hi Olga,

It takes time to prepare for Gmat. We are not native speakers (leave alone verbal, sometimes simple math word problems can be too confusing). You are defentely not alone on this road.

I have spoken to several addmission offices here in NY, and they said, following is quote 'by no means, foreign students are put in the same group with the native speakers....'. And many friends who already study strongly recommend not to give up on certain schools just because of low Gmat score. From your post, you have good experience, plus good essays, good recommendations, great interview and you can make it into the wish school.

Now back to your question :)

just relax..stay away from Gmat for a day or two..then with fresh mind start over again. This time I would recommend to do the following (it seems to work for me) :

if it is math,

1 - categorize the questions that you answer incorrect
2 - note certain patters, they are different for each individual. For example, I noticed that about 40% of my incorrect answers is due to careless calculations, 8% is due to misunderstaing of certain concept....
Knowing my weakness helps me to expect certain mistakes from myself and thus concentrate.
3 - for each wrong answer identify action that would improve your position

I am attaching a file-format, I have been using for last two days.

After certain amount of practice it is best to just lay down and analyze...

read this nice debrief by necromonger, i really like it. And his position is somewhat closer to yours than mine is, i mean i am not as busy as you guys are...

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com/2006/08 ... wa-60.html

It says: "Instead of obsessing over every single type - I focused on a category. Here is how it actually worked for me....."

hope it helps,

good luck :)

you can also view the file here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... T_p9ahktPQ

had to edit*, cuz of typos and i added some more info.
Attachments

challanges1.xls [51.5 KiB]
Downloaded 62 times

To download please login or register as a user

Last edited by IrinaOK on 11 Oct 2007, 01:59, edited 5 times in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 15:38
Olga

The CAT uses a scaled algorithm to calculate your score. If you get the first 20 verbal right, and a few wrong later on, you get a 48-50V. If you get the first 4/10 wrong, you get a 40 max.
  [#permalink] 16 Oct 2007, 15:38