Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A scrub jay can remember when it cached a particular piece

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep SC : Gerund vs inifinitive [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 17:50
thank you very much for posting the screen shot

+1 for you
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: GMATPrep SC : Gerund vs inifinitive [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 07:19
In E it is "it stored". This construction would imply that it was intentional to let the treat rot.
Because I think it is not intentional I would choose D.
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 713 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scrub jay [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 04:12
IMO D.

The subject is singular as you can see in the initial part of the non-underlined section:
when it cached a particular

So, A/B/C are out. In D and E, D is better.
In E, the "it" at the end misleads.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: Scrub jay [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 04:51
Does "it" in option (E) not refer to Scrub Jay?...I picked (E).... :(

Can someone explain why (E) is wrong.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 713 [1] , given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scrub jay [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 21:40
This post received
KUDOS
Seekmba,

Let me try to explain:

First removing the middleman:
A scrub jay can remember and tends not bothering to recover a perishable treat it stored long enough to have rotted.

bothering to recover - awkward usage
In E, IT is redundant, if referring to SCRUB JAY. Moreover, IT can refer to TREAT, RESEARCHERS, SCRUB JAY. Even if you check the original sentence, there also we dont have IT.

gotmba,
Now, about the TEND and TENDS:
CAN REMEMBER - compound verb modifying WHEN IT....an action in the past.
TENDS - This is correct because singular SCRUB JAY. CAN is used to descibe the potential of SCRUB JAY that it remembers the past event. All this is discovered by the RESEARCHERS, else why we have , researchers have discovered, in the original senetence.

As per your question, TEND will occur if there is a need for parallelism. Here, we dont have this. Just confirm: ....can remember....and [can] tend not....This is awkward style.

Moreover, the explainatory particle RECOVERING is better usage than BOTHER TO.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Scrub jay [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 21:50
A scrub jay can remember when it cached a particular piece of food in a particular place, researchers have discovered, and tend not to bother to recover a perishable treat if stored long enough to have rotted.

A. tend not to bother to recover a perishable treat if
B. they tend not to bother recovering a perishable treat
C. tending not to bother to recover a perishable treat it
D. tends not to bother recovering a perishable treat
E. tends not bothering to recover a perishable treat it

Okay without looking right away A is wrong because the singular "a scrub jay" needs a singular verb form tends if in the present tense. Furthermore with that "researcher have discovered" in the middle we may have to look very carefully at the next answers. B. cannot work because they is unclear and it is now referring to the original single bird with they. C. Is difficult because I am not sure if the "and" is still there preceding it. If so C. is wrong. It is not parallel with the first verb form. So, D and E. D reads better right away. yes. it is D.

I hope my comments were helpful. If so, please give kudos.
Thanks,
Skip
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 335

Kudos [?]: 724 [0], given: 11

Re: Scrub jay [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 11:34
Hey All,

Just wanted to throw in one brief bit of info on a question that no one answered quite right. Unlike the OG, I don't like to leave any issue up to "awkward construction" if I can help it.

ANSWER

PROBLEM: the reason why "tends not bothering to" is incorrect is that many verbs require the use of the infinitive directly after them. For example, "I like to run" "I wouldn't care to go there" etc. This is one of those verbs (i.e. "I tend to eat four times a day" or "I tend not to eat four times a day"). We need the "to bother" to come right after tend.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 335

Kudos [?]: 724 [1] , given: 11

Re: Scrub jay [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 11:34
This post received
KUDOS
Oops. Just wanted to add that "not" can go in-between as well (and as is required here).

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scrub jay [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 07:38
Thanks TommyWallach for being the only one to provide an actual answer to differentiate bw D and E
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Scrub jay [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 08:15
tommy
this is special SC. Since it looks like the "tend" may be referring to the researchers. But later when we realize the meaning and the parallel marker "and" - its actually the scrub jay that will associate with "tend". Can you throw some light on the structure of A. Btw can I get rid of the non essentials like this

A scrub jay can remember when it cached a particular piece of food in a particular place, [strike]researchers have discovered[/strike], and tend not to bother to recover a perishable treat if stored long enough to have rotted.

TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Just wanted to throw in one brief bit of info on a question that no one answered quite right. Unlike the OG, I don't like to leave any issue up to "awkward construction" if I can help it.

ANSWER

PROBLEM: the reason why "tends not bothering to" is incorrect is that many verbs require the use of the infinitive directly after them. For example, "I like to run" "I wouldn't care to go there" etc. This is one of those verbs (i.e. "I tend to eat four times a day" or "I tend not to eat four times a day"). We need the "to bother" to come right after tend.

Hope that helps!

-t
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scrub jay [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 22:34
gotomba wrote:
A scrub jay can remember when it cached a particular piece of food in a particular place, researchers have discovered, and tend not to bother to recover a perishable treat if stored long enough to have rotted.

A. tend not to bother to recover a perishable treat if (subject-verb disagreement)
B. they tend not to bother recovering a perishable treat (subject-verb disagreement)
C. tending not to bother to recover a perishable treat it ( wrong tense )

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

For this question, how can you tell if we should use tend or tends? I know "A scrub jay" is singular, but the first verb is "can remember", doesn't it imply that the next verb would be "<can> tend not to"? Just like "He can swim and jump" but not "He can swim and jumps"... thoughts?

he can swim and jumps..... if jumps signifies the usage of another clause . here he can swim and jump, which you are using is being used in the same clause, but in the SC there are 2 different clauses .

hope that clarifies

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: GMATPrep SC : Gerund vs inifinitive [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 00:45
mikeCoolBoy wrote:

I believe that E suffers split infinitive problem. You're not allowed to separate "to" from the infinitive. For instance you cannot insert adverbs between the verb and "to". In this case you're putting bothering between. I believe it is not idiomatic.

Can you help me locate the split infinitive in E. I only see 'to recover' in E (which is obviously not a slit infinitive).

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Deloitte 3 yrs
WE 2: Prok going on
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: GMATPrep SC : Gerund vs inifinitive [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 01:02
zaarathelab wrote:

Cant seem to pick between D and E

Can someone pls provide a detailed explanation

My only take on it is 'it' in E lacks a clear antecedent. Is there something more to it?

I will go with D as tend should be used with to and sounds better compared to other choices.

Akhil Mittal

I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

If my post was helpful to you then encourage me by your kudos :)

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1621 [0], given: 249

Re: GMATPrep SC : Gerund vs inifinitive [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2011, 07:17
Expert's post
Quote:
zaarathelab wrote:
My only take on it is 'it' in E lacks a clear antecedent. Is there something more to it?

Kindly ponder whether 'it' cannot refer to the Jay, the only eligible noun according to me. If Jay is not a clear referent, what are the other ones that compete with Jay?

I still don’t take E as the answer. I am only trying to clarify the legitimacy of the pronoun reference. But the bigger problem in E is that the bird itself stored the perishable and allowed it to rot. I think that text rather means that the treat was somehow missed by the Jay and got stored longer than it should have been, an inadvertent action rather than an intentional one.

In addition between 'not to bother' and 'not bothering', I feel the infinitive is better because the Jay has a purpose not to bother, the purpose being that it is going to be futile to recover such out-stored stuff. This is just my perception

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep SC : Gerund vs inifinitive [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 11:58
Quote:

Answer: I am going with D.
subject-verb agreement - 'a scrub jay' (singular) must go with 'tends'. Hence, only D and E are possible answers.
E just sounds way too awkward and cumbersome IMO.

However, if I have to 'force it' and take E as an answer, I would think the logic is as follows:
parallelism - 'it cached...it stored...'
Also, if the sentence does not specify 'a perishable treat it stored', the treat could be one that has been stored by some other animal. Since the sentence is concerned with highlighting the scrub jay's excellent memory and its actions in relation to this ability, it would then seem necessary to specify that the treat is stored by the scrub jay itself??

Does that make sense? :roll:

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A scrub jay can remember when it cached a particular piece [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 10:03
(A)tend not to bother to recover a perishable treat if
(B)they tend not to bother recovering a perishable treat
(C)tending not to bother to recover a perishable treat it
(D)tends not to bother recovering a perishable treat
(E)tends not bothering to recover a perishable treat it

Kudos my back and I Kudos your back

Re: A scrub jay can remember when it cached a particular piece   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2014, 10:03