Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 00:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A seasoned bookie betting heavily on a high percentage

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 2304 [2] , given: 692

A seasoned bookie betting heavily on a high percentage [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 17:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (01:56) correct 34% (01:21) wrong based on 129 sessions
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 598 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: A seasoned bookie betting heavily on a high percentage [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 20:14
Expert's post
Quote:
Betting heavily on a high percentage hitter, especially one who has a good average and has performed consistently in the past, a seasoned rookie is likely to miss the decline in the hitter's performance, especially if it is interspersed with brilliant innings.

I am going with C here. Other options have ambiguity in the usage of "it". This sentence removes this ambiguity by using "hitter's performance".
Also, this sentence correctly uses the modifier.

Betting heavily on a high percentage hitter, especially one who has a good average and has performed consistently in the past, a seasoned rookie is likely to miss the decline in the hitter's performance, especially if it is interspersed with brilliant innings.

The "especially one who has a good average and has performed consistenty in the past" modifies "high percentage hitter". Being a non-essential modifier, we can safely cross it off too.
+1C

Let me know the OE and OA man.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

6 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 364 [6] , given: 241

Re: A seasoned bookie betting heavily on a high percentage [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 22:17
This post received
KUDOS
A seasoned bookie betting heavily on a high percentage hitter, especially one who has a good average & has performed consistently in the past, makes it likely to miss the decline in his performance, especially if it is interspersed with brilliant innings.

A) A seasoned bookie betting heavily on a high percentage hitter, especially one who has a good average & has performed consistently in the past, makes it likely to miss the decline in his performance, especially if it is interspersed with brilliant innings.
Use of "HIS" is ambiguous as it can refer to either Bookie or Hitter. First "IT" is used as a placeholder, but the sentence original intent requires a Noun to remove ambiguity. Second "IT" has no antecedent at all as it refers to "PERFORMANCE" but performance is not mentioned anywhere in the sentence.

B)A seasoned bookie who bets heavily on a high percentage hitter is likely to miss the decline in his performance, more so when it is interspersed with brilliant innings, especially one who has a good average & has performed consistently in the past.
"IF" should be used instead of "WHEN". The modifier "especially one who has a good average & has performed consistently in the past" is placed incorrectly, and thus appears to modify nearby noun "Innings" instead of "Hitter".

C)Betting heavily on a high percentage hitter, especially one who has a good average & has performed consistently in the past, a seasoned bookie is likely to miss the decline in the hitter’s performance, especially if it is interspersed with brilliant innings. - CORRECT.

D)A seasoned bookie who bets heavily on a high percentage hitter, especially one who has a good average & has performed consistently in the past, makes missing the decline in his performance likely more so when it is interspersed with brilliant innings.
Because the bold portion in this option is a non essential modifier, we can safely eliminate that portion.
---->A seasoned bookie makes missing the decline in his performance likely more so when it is interspersed with brilliant innings.
Apart from grammatical errors this option changes the original intent because it means that "Bookies makes the decline in performance". Use of "HIS" is ambiguous & WHEN is incorrectly used.

E)A seasoned bookie’s heavy betting on a high percentage hitter, especially one who has a good average & previously performed consistently, makes it likely to miss the decline in his performance being interspersed with brilliant innings.
Because the bold portion in this option is a non essential modifier, we can safely eliminate that portion.
---->A seasoned bookie’s heavy betting on a high percentage hitter,makes it likely to miss the decline in his performance being interspersed with brilliant innings.
Apart from grammatical errors this option changes the original intent because it means that "Betting makes to miss the decline in performance". Use of "HIS" is ambiguous. "IT" is incorrectly used the same way as in option A.

So the answer has to be C.
Hope this detailed explanation helps.
(Kudos encourages many others, like me.)

Fame

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Expert Post
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 2304 [0], given: 692

Re: A seasoned bookie betting heavily on a high percentage [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 04:21
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 103

Re: A seasoned bookie betting heavily on a high percentage [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 02:37
full marks for posting such brilliant question..
my approach is little diff For big sentences like this ...i look for meaning(always works best for full underlined no pattern sentences) modifier err(put it near the one it is modifying) , parallelism err( check if there is any list)

A seasoned bookie betting heavily on a high percentage hitter, especially one who has a good average & has performed consistently in the past, makes it likely to miss the decline in his performance, especially if it is interspersed with brilliant innings.

A) A seasoned rookie betting heavily on a high percentage hitter, especially one who has a good average and has performed consistently in the past, makesit likely to miss the decline in his performance, especially if it is interspersed with brilliant innings.-> decline of whose performance hitter's or bookies's also....it can not stand for humans ; second it (bolded one) correctly refers back to his performance

B) A seasoned rookie who bets heavily on a high percentage hitter is likely to miss the decline in his performance, more so when it is interspersed with brilliant innings, especially one who has a good average and has performed consistently in the past.
-> we need hitter before the modifier

C) Betting heavily on a high percentage hitter, especially one who has a good average and has performed consistently in the past, a seasoned rookie is likely to miss the decline in the hitter’s performance, especially if it is interspersed with brilliant innings. ->> Always check if the middle one can go modify both items coming after or before it - Check out OG12/105 ...->

D) A seasoned rookie who bets heavily on a high percentage hitter, especially one who has a good average and has performed consistently in the past, makes missing the decline in his performance likely more so when it is interspersed with brilliant innings.-> totally akward construction

E) A seasoned rookie’s heavy betting on a high percentage hitter, especially one who has a good average and previously performed consistently, makes it likely to miss the decline in his performance being interspersed with brilliant innings. subject becomes heavy betting ..meaning err

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1570

CAT Tests
Re: A seasoned bookie betting heavily on a high percentage [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 21:57
In the end, I chose D. I crossed out C, because I assumed that "Betting heavily...hitter" and "Especially one..in the past" were stacked modifiers. However, I realized that this was wrong, because the "Betting" modifier modifies the bookie and the "Especially one" modifier modifies the hitter. However, isn't C wrong, since noun modifiers must touch the noun they are modifying, and the "Especially one" modifier breaks this rule?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 54

Re: A seasoned bookie betting heavily on a high percentage [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 00:25
TooLong150 wrote:
In the end, I chose D. I crossed out C, because I assumed that "Betting heavily...hitter" and "Especially one..in the past" were stacked modifiers. However, I realized that this was wrong, because the "Betting" modifier modifies the bookie and the "Especially one" modifier modifies the hitter. However, isn't C wrong, since noun modifiers must touch the noun they are modifying, and the "Especially one" modifier breaks this rule?

C. Betting heavily on a high percentage hitter, especially one who has a good average and has performed consistently in the past, a seasoned bookie is likely to miss the decline in the hitter’s performance, especially if it is interspersed with brilliant innings.

You are absolutely correct in saying that "Betting" is a participle and hence should modify the noun that immediately follows it. But there is a subtlety in the scope in that a participle clause (Betting heavily on a high percentage hitter) and the main clause (a seasoned bookie is likely to miss...) must refer to/have the same subject (in our case, subject is seasoned bookie)

Another way of looking at the construction,
The highlighted part is between two commas (this is called a parenthetical element) and hence is an non-restrictive information (Meaning-wise also, if the highlighted part is removed, the meaning doesn't change).

We cannot move the highlighted part to anywhere else in the sentence. Because the non-restrictive clause is modifying high percentage hitter. And there is no other place where noun-subject high percentage hitter is used in the sentence. So, the construction is good.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Re: A seasoned bookie betting heavily on a high percentage   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2013, 00:25