Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A seemingly stupid question about earphones / earplugs...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
A seemingly stupid question about earphones / earplugs... [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 16:30
This post received
KUDOS
Hey everyone!

I have a quick question about earplugs / earphones. What type of sound dampening is used during the actual GMAT exam? Do the testing centers use giant over-the-ear earphones, foam earplugs, or what? I know that this sounds really ridiculous, but there is a reason. I have a psychological condition called synesthesia that links my sight to what I hear. If I wear earphones or earplugs that I'm not used to, then the sights that I see could be really distracting / unfamiliar.

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A seemingly stupid question about earphones / earplugs... [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 01:02
Both times that I took it, they had giant over-the-ear earphones (took it once in Florida, and once in New York, so it might be standard)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago,Tuck,Oxford,cambridge

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 7

Re: A seemingly stupid question about earphones / earplugs... [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 07:08
Hi,
I will advice you to contact GMAC in that case, if its possible to take ur own earplugs.u can fill out their form of disability in case they want you to submit it..
thanx
ATB
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: A seemingly stupid question about earphones / earplugs... [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 07:40
I don't think you're allowed to take your own headphones/earplugs, they pretty much don't want you to bring anything in from the outside.

I got two packs of orange earplugs, and large noiseblocking headphones (the kind at gun ranges or people that work around large machines use).

If you liked my post, please consider thanking me with Kudos! I really appreciate it! :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago,Tuck,Oxford,cambridge

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 7

Re: A seemingly stupid question about earphones / earplugs... [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 08:23
Yup thats y i requested to discuss this issue with GMAC people and submit a disability form in case they can allow!!!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: A seemingly stupid question about earphones / earplugs... [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 17:00
Thanks, guys!

No need to get disability status -- I'll just pick up a pair of over-ear headphones and see how they affect my vision.

Appreciate it!
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: A seemingly stupid question about earphones / earplugs... [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 18:22
Well, as a heads up, my test center had both types, standard ear plugs and over the hear heavy duty construction headphones. So I could have doubled up if I wanted to. Call your test center and they will let you know

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: A seemingly stupid question about earphones / earplugs...   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2010, 18:22