Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 19:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A set consist of 2n-1 element. What is the number of subsets

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
A set consist of 2n-1 element. What is the number of subsets [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 11:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (01:59) correct 44% (01:55) wrong based on 20 sessions
A set consist of 2n-1 element. What is the number of subsets of this set which contain at most n-1 elements?

A. 2^(2n-2)
B. 2^(2n) - 2
C. 2^(2n) -1
D. 2^(2n)
E. 2^(2n-1)

I dont really know what this question is asking. I dont know the reasoning or the idea behind an empty subset. Can someone explain this question and answer as if they were explaining it to a beginner? Thank you.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 945 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: A set consist of 2n-1 element from Walker's collection [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 12:01
it is saying if you have some elements a1,a2 till 2n-1 terms and you have to choose any number of items from it and form another set(which you can say is subset), in how many ways you can form the subset if you can choose at most n-1 terms..

First of all please tell the source as these type of questions seems to be out of scope.

IMO ans should be A

I took n=2 so total terms becomes 2n-1 = 3 and at most you can take n-1 = 1 term.

so the ans should be 3, but if you put n=2 in all the equations you wont get the ans. That means they have considered empty set as well, thus the total number of subsets with at most one is a1,a2,a3,0
so ans is 4.

put n=2 in all the equations , you will get A=4 hence A.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [1] , given: 268

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A set consist of 2n-1 element from Walker's collection [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2013, 16:31
This post received
KUDOS
ksharma12 wrote:
A set consist of 2n-1 element. What is the number of subsets of this set which contain at most n-1 elements?

A. 2^(2n-2)
B. 2^(2n) - 2
C. 2^(2n) -1
D. 2^(2n)
E. 2^(2n-1)

I dont really know what this question is asking. I dont know the reasoning or the idea behind an empty subset. Can someone explain this question and answer as if they were explaining it to a beginner? Thank you.

Yes answer is A indeed. Please allow me to show my procedure

I used n=3, so then we have

5!/2!3! + 5!/4!1! + 5!/0!5!

10 + 5 + 1 = 16

So our target is 16

Now replace in answer choices

A gives us 2^4 = 16

Hence A is the correct option

Read carefully it says at most so keep in mind that picking a small number such as 3 will help you save time since you have to list fewer outcomes
Avoid 2 since you will get 1 arrangement (n-1) and may be risky since 1 is a number with certain unique properties

Hope all of this helps
If it does, gimme some Kudos

Cheers!
J :)
Re: A set consist of 2n-1 element from Walker's collection   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2013, 16:31