Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618613 [214]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [59]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618613 [59]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [35]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in the set [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
eybrj2 wrote:
A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in the set, t + 2 is in the set. If -1 is in the set, which of the following must be in the set?

I. -3
II. 1
III. 5

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

Why not -3?
"for any number t in the set, t + 2 is in the set"
--- > t + 2 = r
t = r -2
if -1 = r, t can be -3 ( -3 = -1 -2)

What's wrong with my logic?

Question says that if t is in the set, 't+2' must be in the set. It doesn't say that 't+2' can be in the set only if t is in the set too.

Say, if I put 10 in the set, I have to put 12 and then 14 and then 16 etc. I don't necessarily have to put 8 in the set. 8 may or may not be there.

Similarly, if -1 is in the set, 1, 3 and 5 (and 7 etc) must be in the set. -3 may or may not be.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618613 [24]
Send PM
Re: A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in the set [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7793 [7]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in the set, t + 2 is in the set. If -1 is in the set, which of the following must be in the set?

I. -3
II. 1
III. 5

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

Why not -3?
"for any number t in the set, t + 2 is in the set"
--- > t + 2 = r
t = r -2
if -1 = r, t can be -3 ( -3 = -1 -2)

What's wrong with my logic?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2929 [3]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
dc123 wrote:
A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in the set, t+2 is in the set. If -1 is in the set, then which must also be in the set

I
II
I and II
II and III
all 3

Since -1 is in the set, 1 must be there
Since 1 is there, 3 must be there
Since 3 it there, 5 must be there

-1 may or may not be there

So answer is II and III (D)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [3]
Given Kudos: 188
Schools: LBS '17
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Tricky one ! The idea here is the *MUST* condition makes it strict to move forward from the seed number -1 since for any t , t+2 exists. The set could start from -1 and not have -3 in it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
But how could we assume that the set has n numbers in it when it is not given.. The set could also have -1 and 1 alone with 2 numbers in that set. Also if we assume that it could have 3 as well, then why could not we assume that -3 is also in that set, as they dint pinpoint that -1 is the starting number in that set. The starting number can also be -3.. I know its a must be not could be question.. But unless we know the starting number and number of elements perfectly, it will become could be question..
Manager
Manager
Status:I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [2]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
sheolokesh wrote:
But how could we assume that the set has n numbers in it when it is not given.. The set could also have -1 and 1 alone with 2 numbers in that set. Also if we assume that it could have 3 as well, then why could not we assume that -3 is also in that set, as they dint pinpoint that -1 is the starting number in that set. The starting number can also be -3.. I know its a must be not could be question.. But unless we know the starting number and number of elements perfectly, it will become could be question..

Maybe I can explain this. Don't know how much of this will be helpful.

The point here is -1 is our reference number i.e. t= -1
Now, since the question is "MUST BE TRUE", we have to find numbers that "RESULT FROM" the operation t+2.

When you say that -3 is present (it could be), we are in fact saying that the operation t+2 "RESULTS IN" the number -1. So here we are making t+2 the reference value and -1 the result of the operation.

In a vague way, when we say Ron is Sam's brother, its not necessary that Sam is also Ron's brother. Sam could be Ron's sister too.

Hope so it clears some of your doubt.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
I have trouble understanding this question. so the question says that if t is there then t+2 must be there. So -1 can be t or t+2. So if t+2=-1 then t=-3 therefore -3 is in the set. I know iam wrong somewhere in my concept. Can someone please clarify this to me . Thanks.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618613 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
longhaul123 wrote:
I have trouble understanding this question. so the question says that if t is there then t+2 must be there. So -1 can be t or t+2. So if t+2=-1 then t=-3 therefore -3 is in the set. I know iam wrong somewhere in my concept. Can someone please clarify this to me . Thanks.

The question says, if some number is in the set, then 2 more than that number is also in the set. It does not say that if some number is in the set, then 2 less than that number is in the set. We know that -1 is in the set, so -1 + 2 = 1 must also be in the set. We cannot say whether -3 is in the set because we are not told that -1 -2 is in the set but that -1 + 2 must be in the set.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
Would the answer be E, Had the question have "could be" instead of "must be"?

I am confused why E is not the answer.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618613 [1]
Send PM