Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 13:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in t

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in t [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 07:18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (01:36) correct 46% (00:41) wrong based on 187 sessions
A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in the set, t + 2 is in the set. If -1 is in the set, which of the following must also be in the set?

I. -3
II. 1
III. 5

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sequence problem from QR 2nd PS158 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 07:20
If -1 in the set, why would the set not include all odd numbers?

If -1 in the set, then -1 could be t + 2 and t would be -3. Shouldn't the problem state t = -1 if this isn't the case?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3497

Kudos [?]: 26371 [2] , given: 2710

Re: Sequence problem from QR 2nd PS158 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 07:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jpr200012 wrote:
A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in the set, t + 2 is in the set. If -1 is in the set, which of the following must also be in the set?

I. -3
II. 1
III. 5

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

If -1 in the set, then -1 could be t + 2 and t would be -3. Shouldn't the problem state t = -1 if this isn't the case?

The question is which of the following must be in the set, not could be in the set.

If -1 is in the set so must be -1+2=1, as 1 is in the set so must be 1+2=3, as 3 is in the set so must be 3+2=5 and so on. So basically knowing that -1 is in the set we can say that ALL odd numbers more than -1 are also in the set.

Answer: D.

Now, about your question: we don't know which is the source integer in the set, if it's -1 than odd number less than it won't be in the set but if source integer is let's say -11 than -3 will be in the set. So -3 may or may not be in the set.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 50

Re: Sequence problem from QR 2nd PS158 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 08:54
jpr200012 wrote:
must/could ARGH!

:-D :-D :-D I did not spot the difference the first time. Slowly getting into the groove :) .

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Retired Moderator
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 480 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: HELP [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 23:07
dc123 wrote:
A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in the set, t+2 is in the set. If -1 is in the set, then which must also be in the set

I
II
I and II
II and III
all 3

Since -1 is in the set, 1 must be there
Since 1 is there, 3 must be there
Since 3 it there, 5 must be there

-1 may or may not be there

So answer is II and III (D)

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 11:58
A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in the set, t + 2 is in the set. If -1 is in the set, which of the following must be in the set?

I. -3
II. 1
III. 5

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

Why not -3?
"for any number t in the set, t + 2 is in the set"
--- > t + 2 = r
t = r -2
if -1 = r, t can be -3 ( -3 = -1 -2)

What's wrong with my logic?

Last edited by Bunuel on 05 Apr 2012, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3497

Kudos [?]: 26371 [0], given: 2710

Re: A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 12:23
Expert's post
eybrj2 wrote:
A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in the set, t + 2 is in the set. If -1 is in the set, which of the following must be in the set?

I. -3
II. 1
III. 5

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

Why not -3?
--- > t + 2 = r
t = r -2

Merging similar topics. Your doubt is addressed in the posts above (for example: a-set-of-numbers-has-the-property-that-for-any-number-t-in-t-98829.html#p761683).

Similar questions to practice:
k-is-a-set-of-integers-such-that-if-the-integer-r-is-in-k-103005.html
if-p-is-a-set-of-integers-and-3-is-in-p-is-every-positive-96630.html
k-is-a-set-of-numbers-such-that-i-if-x-is-in-k-then-x-96907.html

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1116

Kudos [?]: 5055 [0], given: 164

Re: A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 19:27
Expert's post
eybrj2 wrote:

I. -3
II. 1
III. 5

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

Why not -3?
--- > t + 2 = r
t = r -2

Question says that if t is in the set, 't+2' must be in the set. It doesn't say that 't+2' can be in the set only if t is in the set too.

Say, if I put 10 in the set, I have to put 12 and then 14 and then 16 etc. I don't necessarily have to put 8 in the set. 8 may or may not be there.

Similarly, if -1 is in the set, 1, 3 and 5 (and 7 etc) must be in the set. -3 may or may not be.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1116

Kudos [?]: 5055 [1] , given: 164

Re: A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in t [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 04:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jpr200012 wrote:

I. -3
II. 1
III. 5

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

Responding to a pm:

Forget this question. Consider this:

If I go to the movies, my friend Disha must go with me. If Disha goes to the movies, Ari must go to the movies too.

So now what can you say if I tell you that I went to the movies?
You can say that Disha went too. And further, you can say that Ari went too.

What if I tell you Disha went to the movies? Does it mean I went too? If I go, Disha must go. But if Disha goes, is it necessary for me to go? No, she has no such hang ups. She can easily go with or without me. But if Disha goes, Ari must go too. So we can say that Ari went to the movies.

The question is very similar. If 't' is in the set, 't+2' must be in the set too. But is it essential for 't-2' to be in the set? No! Just like Disha doesn't need me, 't+2' doesn't need 't'. 't+2' needs only 't+4'.
If 't+2' is in the set, 't+4' must be picked too. If 't+4' is there, 't+6' must be there too and so on...

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 136

Re: A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in t [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 05:14
Hi Karishma,
Awesome Explanation. Wonderful Analogy.. Hats Off.. :-)

Thanks Again !
H

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
jpr200012 wrote:

I. -3
II. 1
III. 5

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

Responding to a pm:

Forget this question. Consider this:

If I go to the movies, my friend Disha must go with me. If Disha goes to the movies, Ari must go to the movies too.

So now what can you say if I tell you that I went to the movies?
You can say that Disha went too. And further, you can say that Ari went too.

What if I tell you Disha went to the movies? Does it mean I went too? If I go, Disha must go. But if Disha goes, is it necessary for me to go? No, she has no such hang ups. She can easily go with or without me. But if Disha goes, Ari must go too. So we can say that Ari went to the movies.

The question is very similar. If 't' is in the set, 't+2' must be in the set too. But is it essential for 't-2' to be in the set? No! Just like Disha doesn't need me, 't+2' doesn't need 't'. 't+2' needs only 't+4'.
If 't+2' is in the set, 't+4' must be picked too. If 't+4' is there, 't+6' must be there too and so on...

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sequence problem from QR 2nd PS158 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 17:37
Bunuel wrote:
jpr200012 wrote:

I. -3
II. 1
III. 5

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

The question is which of the following must be in the set, not could be in the set.

If -1 is in the set so must be -1+2=1, as 1 is in the set so must be 1+2=3, as 3 is in the set so must be 3+2=5 and so on. So basically knowing that -1 is in the set we can say that ALL odd numbers more than -1 are also in the set.

Answer: D.

Now, about your question: we don't know which is the source integer in the set, if it's -1 than odd number less than it won't be in the set but if source integer is let's say -11 than -3 will be in the set. So -3 may or may not be in the set.

Hope it's clear.

i selected E thinking the same way as above....now i realize what i should be thinking while answering :) Thanks Bunuel.

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

SVP
SVP
Followers: 196

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in t [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 07:13
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, International Business
GPA: 3.91
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in t [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2014, 02:24
If -1 is in the set, then

-1 + 2 = 1 is in the set
hence
1 + 2 = 3 is in the set
hence
3+2 = 5 is in the set.

So II and III are correct.

What about one?

if -1 is in the set, -3 COULD be in the set, but we don't know that, the set could also "begin" with -1.

Thus answer D.
Re: A set of numbers has the property that for any number t in t   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2014, 02:24