Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: A set S contains five numbers k, k + 1, 2k - 1, 5k + 7 and 6k + 8. If [#permalink]
Moumila wrote:
It's given that the average is less than 10 , so
as per condition 2 :

(k+ k+1 + 2k-1 +5k+7 + 6k+8) / 5 < 10
(15k + 15) /5 <10
3k + 3 < 10
3k < 7
and k is integer
so k = 1, 2

For k=1, s={1 , 2, 1, 12, 14} and Median= 2 (condition 1 satisfied)

for k=2, s={2, 3, 3, 17, 20} and Median =3 (condition 1 satisfied)

So K=1 and 2

Yeah but the average being less than 10 is given in statement nr. 2, so how can the answer be "A) Statement 1 alone is sufficient?"

Is there something in the prompt that I'm missing?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Send PM
Re: A set S contains five numbers k, k + 1, 2k - 1, 5k + 7 and 6k + 8. If [#permalink]
Kudos
Re-attempting this after some thought:

Placing all values in a number line, it is unclear where k+1 and 2k-1 go, since if k is given different values it is clear that they will shift depending on values for K

itzmyzone911 wrote:
A set S contains five numbers k, k + 1, 2k - 1, 5k + 7 and 6k + 8. If k is a positive integer, determine its value.

(1) The median of the elements of S is k + 1.

When given this information, we know that this means that k+1 > 2k-1, it is further to the right on the number line

Using this inequality we get that k<2 .... Which means that k MUST be 1 as it is a positive integer.

(2) The average of the elements of S is less than 10.
Given that statement 1 alone is sufficient, this one needs to be either insuff or suff on its own. It is not suff on it's own so that means that the answer is A.

Given OA is A.

My doubt: A is definitely true for k=1. However for k=2, k+1=2k-1, which is also compatible with stmt. 1. This means we have 2 values for k..1 and 2. Then how can A alone be sufficient?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V39
GRE 1: Q790 V650
GPA: 3.76
WE:Other (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
sabineodf wrote:
Re-attempting this after some thought:

Placing all values in a number line, it is unclear where k+1 and 2k-1 go, since if k is given different values it is clear that they will shift depending on values for K

itzmyzone911 wrote:
A set S contains five numbers k, k + 1, 2k - 1, 5k + 7 and 6k + 8. If k is a positive integer, determine its value.

(1) The median of the elements of S is k + 1.

When given this information, we know that this means that k+1 > 2k-1, it is further to the right on the number line

Using this inequality we get that k<2 .... Which means that k MUST be 1 as it is a positive integer.

(2) The average of the elements of S is less than 10.
Given that statement 1 alone is sufficient, this one needs to be either insuff or suff on its own. It is not suff on it's own so that means that the answer is A.

sabineodf, for statement 1, why don't you consider the equation as \(k+1>=2k-1\)
In this case, you would get \(k<=2\), which means k=1,2.
Thus, insufficient.

Please clarify.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
akhilbajaj

I tested the values.

If k = 2, then as you said 2+1=2*2−1 (3=3). But statement 1) tells us that k+1 is the median, and I think that this statement means that it is the only median, which is wouldn't be if K=2 because then we have a shared median, which leaves that k=1 since it's the only number that fits the parameters, and gives a unique value for the median.

I'm not 100% sure on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 409 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
sabineodf wrote:
akhilbajaj

I tested the values.

If k = 2, then as you said 2+1=2*2−1 (3=3). But statement 1) tells us that k+1 is the median, and I think that this statement means that it is the only median, which is wouldn't be if K=2 because then we have a shared median, which leaves that k=1 since it's the only number that fits the parameters, and gives a unique value for the median.

In this question, it is said that k+1 is the median, so you should not assume any extra information.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
PrepTap wrote:
sabineodf wrote:
akhilbajaj

I tested the values.

In this question, it is said that k+1 is the median, so you should not assume any extra information.

K+1 = median

7 values. There must be 3 values on either side of k+1. If k+1 = 2k-1 then they are interchangeable and k+1 is not 100 % the median. But we are given that it IS the median, so that means there must be 2 values either side. I don't think I've made any extreme assumptions/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Option A :The median of the elements of S is k + 1 .There are 5 elements so two elements on the left and two elements on the right of k+1
so at most k+1>=2k-1 or k+1<=5k+7 .Solving first equation gives us : k<=2 .Second gives k>=6/4 so k=2

Option B : (k +k + 1+2k - 1 +5k + 7 + 6k + 8)/5 < 10 .Solving 3k+3<10 so k<7/3 .k can have values 1,2 So B is not correct .

Hence A is the correct option.

Press Kudos if you like the solution.

Regards,
Manish Khare
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
I think the solution A would be correct if we changed 5k + 7 to 5k - 7:
set S contains five numbers k, k + 1, 2k - 1, 5k - 7 and 6k + 8. If k is a positive integer, determine its value.

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Data Sufficiency (DS) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts