Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A small debrief - from 580(V21) to 720(V41)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: None
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q49 V21
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 89

Reviews Badge
A small debrief - from 580(V21) to 720(V41) [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 01:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi everyone ,

Here I am to share my experience with GMAT. Two attempts ,a 720 in my second attempt , a 140 point improvement , and finally my good bye to GMAT.:)

First attempt :
Started way back in feb-2013 , my preparation was mainly on verbal. I was pretty good at math so put in less efforts for it. I studied with the local materials I had and others from internet. Took a couple of main exams and went to GMAT for my first attempt. No surprises that I got just a 580. Verbal was a fiasco ,just managed to get 21. Disappointed I was but knew I needed a good course to score high in my retake.

Second attempt:
I started going through others experiences in GMAT club. That's when I came across E-gmat. I went through few of their materials and immediately knew I was at the right place.

About the course :
a) Structured and well defined.
b) Importance to meaning and logic.
c) No shortcuts.

SC sessions, led by Payal , were one of the best I attended. Her session on meaning changed my approach towards SC and I started to like the subject.
Though the approach would take time initially , once mastered would really save you a lot of time in your exam . Trusting and diligently following their approach are all that one has to do to get a high accuracy in SCs. Though this section looks easy ,it is quite tricky if you do not understand how to approach it.

Pre-thinking approach n CR is another one that really works when it becomes a second nature to you when you solve CR questions. I tried my best to pre-think for most of the CRs and somehow I was able to manage my time.

RC sessions by Shraddha are the next in line that really helped me improve my score in Verbal. The approach that she teaches is quite simple but extremely effective and kind of helps you get into the passage ,be it any. I was even able to attempt a 5-6 para passage in my exam following her approach.

In addition to studying e-gmat course , I knew I was not really ready to take my second attempt. What really lagged in my first attempt and what really helped in my second were the mock tests and their analyses. I made sure I took enough mocks,close to 10, before I appeared for my second attempt and each of these were full length and even tried my best to simulate them to the original test with the breaks and others. Thanks to these tests, I felt the main exam similar to my mock.

Small tip :
Even if you have mastered you concepts , what really matters is how cool you are at the G-day. Take as many mocks as you can and help yourself stay at ease with your exam. Analyse thoroughly each and every question that you attempt in your mocks , trust me it helps a lot.
And unless you get your desired score in your mocks , at least consistently in few, there is no point in taking your GMAT. This was my downfall with my first attempt and hope none of you make it in yours.
The articles posted by egmat that you will find in this club are gold mines. They give you lot more information than you can find outside. Make sure you go through each of them before you appear for your GMAT.

For re-takers ,if you really wish to see a high improvement in your score , do try e-gmat. Improvement is guaranteed. If I can get a 41 in my verbal after scoring 21 in my first attempt , I believe anyone of you can do it.

Though not an expert , I would be happy to answer any of your questions and help in any way I can.

Good luck with your GMAT.

Starting my applications , hope this score is enough..:)

Thanks,
Sandeep.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 55

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A small debrief - from 580(V21) to 720(V41) [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 16:37
Congratulations on the great score; a 20 point improvement on verbal is very impressive!

a. How much gap did you have between your first and second attempts?
b. If possible, can you share your mock test scores with dates?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: A small debrief - from 580(V21) to 720(V41) [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 06:26
Can you also let us know what your Quant scores were both the times and what were the sources you used for Quant preparation.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: A small debrief - from 580(V21) to 720(V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2014, 10:26
Many congrats mate

Cud you tell when did u appear for the second attempt. and how long did u prep before the second shot?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: A small debrief - from 580(V21) to 720(V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2014, 11:21
Congratz!!

Please share your quant scores as well.. to get an estimate of how the total score varied. Thnx!
Re: A small debrief - from 580(V21) to 720(V41)   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2014, 11:21