Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 12:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A small orchard specializing in citrus fruits has been

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
A small orchard specializing in citrus fruits has been [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 06:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (02:01) correct 33% (00:02) wrong based on 6 sessions
A small orchard specializing in citrus fruits has been receiving fewer orders for oranges in the off season. Orchard owners expect demand to pick up in the coming weeks as harvest begins, but they are concerned about a neighboring orchard nearly three times their size. The neighboring orchard has announced plans to sell cases of oranges for 20% less than regular price in order to jump-start the season by attracting new business.

Which of the following, if true, points to the most serious flaw of the small orchard's plan to attract business by matching the prices of the competing orchard?

a The small orchard has a dozen customers under contract to purchase the first oranges of the season and may anger them by not extending the discount to them.

b The small orchard does not have time to advertise its oranges at lower prices.

c The small orchard will reduce the number of oranges in each case to minimize losses incurred by matching prices.

d The large orchard has a larger inventory and is more able to take losses on initially discounted oranges.

e The large orchard will target a different market than the small orchard.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 06:21
IMO B...the orchard will raise the prices but wont advertise.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 07:26
sanoasis wrote:
IMO B...the orchard will raise the prices but wont advertise.

try again man

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Retail)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 13

Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 07:46
man this is confusing. am clueless

i love kudos :moped consider giving them if you like my post!!

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-reasoning-for-beginners-82111.html
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/quant-notes-for-ps-ds-82447.html
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 07:49
I think it should be D.

Large orchard can take losses, but small one cannot. So it should go for a different way, rather than discounting the prices.
Manager
Manager

Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 08:01
From what i understand of Flaw questions; one need not bring in any outside information to refute conclusion but instead explain the shortfall given in the stimulus itself.. . .like in a weaken question you are supposed to find the additional information which if true would destroy the argument, whereas in flaw question, you know the evidence doesn’t support the conclusion very well at all, and its up to you to explain why

so i would second sdrandom1 for D . . as all the other option are bringing in outside information like, different market, reducing oranges, customers under contract, advertising etc. . .only D is apparent in the stimulus in form of "three times their size" indicating more oranges so more ability to take discount.

Hope my explanation is ok. . and answer is D

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 08:03
sdrandom1 wrote:
I think it should be D.

Large orchard can take losses, but small one cannot. So it should go for a different way, rather than discounting the prices.

If the large orchad has more inventory, good for them! but this is not about the large orchad but about the small one...

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager

Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 08:08
noboru wrote:
sdrandom1 wrote:
I think it should be D.

If the large orchad has more inventory, good for them! but this is not about the large orchad but about the small one...

so its clear that answer is not B or D. pls tell OA then. . . this CR doesn't seem to be my cup of Tea :-) i never get it right

Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 08:23
E for me.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager

Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 08:32
sudeep wrote:
E for me.

why do you think so!

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 08:33
sudeep wrote:
E for me.

I was with E too, but I was wrong...as you are...

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 08:40
I still feel the E is the biggest flaw!

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 09:58
It's D for me.
Plz post the OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 09:59
noboru, whats the OA then??? Also can you please post the OA for your other CR question with subject - "Country X" too. I have been waiting to hear from you on both these CR questions...
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 10:57
sdrandom1 wrote:
noboru, whats the OA then??? Also can you please post the OA for your other CR question with subject - "Country X" too. I have been waiting to hear from you on both these CR questions...

You got it: OA is D.

Situation: A small orchard desires to compete with a larger neighboring orchard.

Reasoning: Which point reveals the most serious flaw in the small orchard's plan? It can be determined from the passage that the large orchard has three times the inventory of the small orchard, and that they are looking to attract new business. It can also be inferred from the passage that the owners of the large orchard are confident that they are able to sell oranges at a discount and still remain solvent.

a The concern of the orchards is in attracting new business, not satisfying existing customers. Additionally, customers under contract have likely already agreed to a non-discount price.

b This item may be problematic, but does not address the concerns of the passage as a whole.

c This approach is not a flaw in the plan, but a possible, potentially unethical, solution.

d The large orchard's greater inventory will give them a flexibility that will outlast the small orchard. The small orchard could run out of stock before the large orchard has sold even a third of its oranges.

e This item makes it sound as if the two orchards will not actually be in competition, but does not address the soundness of the small orchard's plan.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager

Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 21:37
noboru wrote:
sdrandom1 wrote:
I think it should be D.

noboru wrote:
Target760 wrote:
From what i understand of Flaw questions; one need not bring in any outside information to refute conclusion but instead explain the shortfall given in the stimulus itself.. . .like in a weaken question you are supposed to find the additional information which if true would destroy the argument, whereas in flaw question, you know the evidence doesn’t support the conclusion very well at all, and its up to you to explain why

so i would second sdrandom1 for D . . as all the other option are bringing in outside information like, different market, reducing oranges, customers under contract, advertising etc. . .only D is apparent in the stimulus in form of "three times their size" indicating more oranges so more ability to take discount.

Hey noboru. I am confused. If answer was D then why did you not say yes to it when sdrandom1 and myself had given it as an answer choice.

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 01:54
Target760 wrote:
noboru wrote:
sdrandom1 wrote:
I think it should be D.

noboru wrote:
Target760 wrote:

Hey noboru. I am confused. If answer was D then why did you not say yes to it when sdrandom1 and myself had given it as an answer choice.

Just challenging you and trying to refuting your argument.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 02:05
D for me too
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 05:02
D it is

Key element of the problem is Size of the firm/orchard and how price/discount tends to effect them.
Easy way to tackle this problem is asking the question

What impact with the small orchard have if it apes the big orchard which will be different

D comes a clear winner

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: A small orchard [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 10:07
haha yeah i thought it was D, then read your replies noburu, and i went back but couldn't see any other possible answers...nice one.
Re: A small orchard   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2009, 10:07