Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A Smart Investor Would Skip The MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
A Smart Investor Would Skip The MBA [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 19:43
Expert's post
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [3] , given: 166

Premium Member
Re: A Smart Investor Would Skip The MBA [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 04:39
This post received
KUDOS
I tend to filter out this noise - it doesn't take into account career changers. I don't care what kind of networking and self-education you do, trying to go from one field/function to another is going to be difficult without an MBA.

This kind of thinking is much more valid for the entrepreneurial type. But if your goal is to work for McKinsey or Goldman Sachs, moving to New York City and taking a bunch of Coursera courses isn't going to help you get hired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [1] , given: 166

Premium Member
Re: A Smart Investor Would Skip The MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 06:29
This post received
KUDOS
Another flaw in the article - he talks about investing that $174,000 in yourself. If you don't have that on hand, I doubt you're going to be able to get that loan to move to somewhere as seed money to start your career. The basis of his argument is that money is better spent elsewhere, but the reality is, most people won't get that kind of money to spend unless they're going to get a degree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 450

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A Smart Investor Would Skip The MBA [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 04:15
CobraKai wrote:
I tend to filter out this noise - it doesn't take into account career changers. I don't care what kind of networking and self-education you do, trying to go from one field/function to another is going to be difficult without an MBA.

This kind of thinking is much more valid for the entrepreneurial type. But if your goal is to work for McKinsey or Goldman Sachs, moving to New York City and taking a bunch of Coursera courses isn't going to help you get hired.

Concur.

network: One can't get an easier opportunity to network with an elite pool of people than in the b-school.
knowledge: The premise of the article is that the knowledge imparted in the school can be in some way or the other gained in the outside world. Yes, it might be possible, but its impossible to create a structured course for oneself using coursera and experience practical stuff that a school will teach. Also, you won't get the peer learning experience.

Cobrakai is spot on with the career changing point. Also, one obviously can't think of opportunities with the bluechip firms without a business degree.

I can think of at least 2-3 more solid points, I'm sure there will be more. It is an interesting take but, probably the scenario the author talks about would be more feasible for schools ranked outside of top 50 range, where the ROI is very questionable.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: A Smart Investor Would Skip The MBA [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 22:28
If you're comparing pure entrepreneurship vs. b-school (I assume he is since he's the author of "Hacking Your Education", then Stephens makes an excellent point. There are arguments in favour of both sides of that coin.

But as the posters above have mentioned, this does not reflect the holistic picture for everybody. An MBA is not the right path for everyone. It's up to us to weigh the pros and cons and decide accordingly.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 6

Premium Member
Re: A Smart Investor Would Skip The MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 22:01
No, you can't buy in to a network. However, you generally aren't going to meet the people you'd meet at a top business school without going yourself.

"Most of all, put yourself in the shoes of your future boss and imagine whom you would rather hire: the candidate who built a profitable business over the course of two years, or the candidate who sat in lectures and reviewed case studies to get a degree?"

HR departments don't care about your profitable business. They care about checking off boxes. If their listing says you need an MBA, no amount of business sense is going to get you past that.

Furthermore, if I want to keep moving up in consulting, I need an MBA. My options are, get an MBA, or somehow manage to bring in another $20-30 million in work next year. Mind you, chances are the sales people will get the credit for those sales and I'll be in the same spot I'm in.

If I want to leave consulting, the only option is an MBA if I want to keep anywhere close to my current salary.

Hell, you could say the same about any degree. Why do you think Harvard grads generally go so far in life? It's not because of the coursework. A basic college math or chemistry course is generally the same everywhere. It's because you're surrounded by an elite pool of people who you meet and network with. Eventually you'll all take each other much further than you could have gone yourself. That's the way the world works. No amount of coursera or open courseware courses will change it.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Smart Investor Would Skip The MBA [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 07:59
It's also extremely misleading in that he quotes the $174k you'd spend on HBS, but then quotes the $46k 'average MBA graduate salary', which is practically a third of the average HBS graduate salary. The author should really compare apples to apples.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 610 Q37 V36
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: A Smart Investor Would Skip The MBA [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 11:59
This article should be a rc/cr question on the GMAT. I would rip it to pieces lol.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: A Smart Investor Would Skip The MBA [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 05:00
Okay, let's look at who the author is here, shall we?

Dale Stephens, founder of "UnCollege", which aims to change the notion that college and advanced education is the only path to success. Uh, ulterior motive much??

He attended Hendrix College in Arkansas and dropped out because he didn't like the experience. He based his entire view of academia and academic culture based on one, single full semester of college.

I respect what he's trying to do, but you have to take this article with a grain (no, a ton) of salt.

But yes, it does open a much-needed conversation about the state of academia, and what kind of education is truly necessary in our current economy.
Re: A Smart Investor Would Skip The MBA   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2013, 05:00