Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A specific skin rash has been linked to exposure to certain

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 3

A specific skin rash has been linked to exposure to certain [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 06:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

50% (02:22) correct 50% (01:31) wrong based on 157 sessions
A specific skin rash has been linked to exposure to certain types of high-intensity tanning beds. While not dangerous, these rashes are painful and often unsightly, at least in the eyes of those who contract them. Over 90% of females ages 24-30 who use a particular tanning bed called "The Bronzer" have contracted the rash in varying levels of severity. Although using "The Bronzer" does not always lead to a contraction of the rash, the only way to completely avoid the rash is to refrain from using "The Bronzer" and other tanning beds altogether.

Which of the following indicates a flaw in the author’s reasoning?

A. It relies on evidence about a specific product to make a recommendation about an entire class of products.

B. It assumes that one possible cause of a condition is the only cause of that condition.

C. It assumes to be true what it sets out to prove.

D. It makes a generalization based on one segment of the population.

E. It contradicts itself by proclaiming a condition to be not dangerous and then offering a recommendation to avoid that condition.

Thanks and regards,
Sidd

Edit: by carcass
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 247 [1] , given: 67

Re: please help with this CR [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 06:51
This post received
KUDOS
I think that option A and d are both correct and hence either cannot be considered as the correct answer.Now option B,C and E are left. Option E can be eliminated since its out of scope. The argument is concerned about the banning of the product as a whole....
Out of B and C Option B is right since the argument recommends on the basis of just one reason mentioned.....and does not considers other reasons to eliminate the options..

Hence Answer is b

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!!!

Archit
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: please help with this CR [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 07:00
can please explain why d is not the answer and how did you you come to your answer

Thanks and regards,
Sidd
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 67

Re: please help with this CR [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 07:23
Can you explain how did you eliminate A ...If you cannot eliminate D than i think you also cannot eliminate A as well.
Pls provide you reasoning and than i will help you..

Archit
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 249

Kudos [?]: 860 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: please help with this CR [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 08:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
siddharth86 wrote:
Please explain as i am totally stumped by this one.

A specific skin rash has been linked to exposure to certain types of high-intensity tanning beds. While not dangerous, these rashes are painful and often unsightly, at least in the eyes of those who contract them. Over 90% of females ages 24-30 who use a particular tanning bed called "The Bronzer" have contracted the rash in varying levels of severity. Although using "The Bronzer" does not always lead to a contraction of the rash, the only way to completely avoid the rash is to refrain from using "The Bronzer" and other tanning beds altogether.

Thanks and regards,
Sidd

Hi Sidd,

It is an LSAT question and LSAT questions have a list of error types and this one comes under the category of "False Causation"

The stimulus says that Bronzer is the cause of rash in females who use this tanning bed. Then goes on to conclude that the ONLY way to avoid the rash is to be away from any kind of tanning bed.

Well, if you notice, this is a very far fetched conclusion. It is similar to saying "90 % of people catch cold if they get wet in the rain, so the only way to stay away from cold is to not to get wet in any possible way". The author does assume one cause of a problem as the only cause; this in fact is the flaw in the reasoning of the argument. Most other answer choices are telling what the author is doing to make a conclusion but not identifying the flaw in reasoning.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Expert Post
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 860 [0], given: 82

Re: please help with this CR [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 08:19
Expert's post
siddharth86 wrote:
can please explain why d is not the answer and how did you you come to your answer

Thanks and regards,
Sidd

Hi Sidd,

Yes the author is making generalization based on one segment of population, but it still does not explain the flaw. It is something that the author is doing.

Suppose we correct this point and change in the stimulus so that it includes the segment of population discussed: "the only way in which females aged 24-30 can avoid rashes is to stay away from Bronzer and other tanning beds". Would this make the argument no longer flawed? No; therefore (D) is incorrect.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Expert Post
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 2241 [0], given: 690

Re: A specific skin rash has been linked to exposure to certain [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 09:42
Expert's post
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 860 [2] , given: 82

Re: please help with this CR [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 09:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
Can you explain how did you eliminate A ...If you cannot eliminate D than i think you also cannot eliminate A as well.
Pls provide you reasoning and than i will help you..

Archit

Hi Archit,

Now lets consider answer choice A

(A) It relies on evidence about a specific product to make a recommendation about an entire class of products.

Similar to (D) the author is doing this; i.e. the argument does relies on evidence about Bronzer to make recommendations about an entire class of products. If we address the point mentioned in (A), the argument still remains flawed.

lets change the argument so that (A) is addressed.

New Conclusion: The only way to stay away from rashes is to refrain from using "Bronzer" tanning bed.

In this case we are not making a recommendation about an entire class of products. But, the argument still remains flawed in its reasoning because even after refraining from just "Bronzer" tanning bed does not guarantee that one will not catch the rash. So, the reason mentioned in (A) in not the flaw in reasoning.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A specific skin rash has been linked to exposure to certain [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2014, 08:14
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A specific skin rash has been linked to exposure to certain [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2014, 16:09
siddharth86 wrote:

A. It relies on evidence about a specific product to make a recommendation about an entire class of products.

B. It assumes that one possible cause of a condition is the only cause of that condition.

C. It assumes to be true what it sets out to prove.

E. It contradicts itself by proclaiming a condition to be not dangerous and then offering a recommendation to avoid that condition.

Thanks and regards,
Sidd

Edit: by carcass

Snookie goes into her favorite tanning salon with all her gal pals. She then hops in a greased out and over used tanning bed only to emerge hours later with a rash that will prevent even the most desperate of guidos from hollering at her. Naturally she is worried and proceeds to blame the equipment (bronzer) for her first world problems. When she tells her pal J-Wow about her dilema, J-Wow promptly tells her the only thing she can do is to take the "tan" out of Gym Tan Laundry.

However, immediately after J-Wow has imparted her knowledge of tanning on Snookie, Mike walks into the room and tells everyone to chill out because just because she got a rash from entering the womb of the Bronzer, does not mean the Bronzer is the only cause of Snookie's rash.

Snookie, now relieved that she won't have to part with her bronzing sessions, sits down in her favorite chair. As she sits down in her chair she feels a slimy sensation on her arm and almost immediately her rash comes back. Mike starts screaming at her from the top of his lungs "Don't sit there! A bunch of grenades just vomited all over that chair last night!" Snookie screams at him "what?? I fell asleep on this chair right before I went to the tanning salon!!" to which Mike responds "well maybe that's why you got a rash"

/end scene

I pick (B)
Re: A specific skin rash has been linked to exposure to certain   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2014, 16:09