Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 805+ Levelx   Geometryx   Must or Could be True Questionsx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618640 [702]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618640 [173]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618640 [49]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [27]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Re: A square wooden plaque has a square brass inlay in the center, leaving [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
hrish88 wrote:
A square wooden plaque has a square brass inlay in the center ,leaving a wooden strip of uniform width around the brass square.if the ratio of the brass area to the wooden area is 25 to 39,which of the following could be the width ,in inches ,of the wooden strip.

I. 1
II. 3
III. 4

A.I only
B.II only
C.III only
D.I and III only
e.I,II and III

Area of brass square/ area of wooden strip = 25 /39
lets say length of the wooden plaque= l and length of the square brass = x
then
x^2 / (l^2 - x^2) = 25/39
=>39x^2 = 25l^2 - 25x^2
=>64x^2 = 25l^2
=>8x = 5l
Width of wooden strip should be l-x
=>x = 5l/8
so l -x = l = 5l/8 = 3l/8

Now 3l/8 could be any value depending on the value of l
so answer is E.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: A square wooden plaque has a square brass inlay in the center, leaving [#permalink]
so doest it mean any width <= 39/4 is possible.

this is the 2nd last problem in OG.so i thought it would be difficult. :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [5]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
 Q51  V34
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: 5 Years
Send PM
Kudos
let the width of the wooden part = w
let the width of the brass part = b
given brass area/wooden area = 25/39
area of brass part = b^2
area of wooden part = (b+2w)^2 - b^2
Simplifying
64b^2=25(b+2w)^2
8b=5b+10w
b=10w/3

b has to be an integer or a terminating decimal. We can't have a width of 10/3 in real life (note the question doesn't ask for approximate width.) hence w has to be a multiple of 3.
Answer is B.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618640 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
atish wrote:
let the width of the wooden part = w
let the width of the brass part = b
given brass area/wooden area = 25/39
area of brass part = b^2
area of wooden part = (b+2w)^2 - b^2
Simplifying
64b^2=25(b+2w)^2
8b=5b+10w
b=10w/3

b has to be an integer or a terminating decimal. We can't have a width of 10/3 in real life (note the question doesn't ask for approximate width.) hence w has to be a multiple of 3.
Answer is B.

Are you saying that in real life everything has integer or terminating decimal length? Why cannot we have repeated decimal or even irrational number as width of something?

Take the square with side 1, diagonal would be \(\sqrt{2}\), it's not an integer or terminating decimal.

Also it's possible to divide the line segment into three equal parts, Google it and you find that it's quite easy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
 Q51  V34
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: 5 Years
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
Are you saying that in real life everything has the integer or terminating decimal length? Why can not we have repeated decimal or even irrational number as width of something?

Take the square with side 1, diagonal would be \(\sqrt{2}\), it's not an integer or terminating decimal.

Also it's possible to divide the line segment into three equal parts, google it and you find that it's quite easy.

That takes the question to a whole new dimension, I do understand what you are saying though. If the width of something is 10/3 that means you can never (accurately) measure it. The width of the brass square can never be measured practically, it can be only measured mathematically. If such a square was to be made, the creator would have to take a square of 10/10 dimension, divide it into 9 exactly equal parts and use one of them, he/she could never make just the square as it would be impossible to measure 10/3 inches. I do get the concept, but don't like the fact that a question can be based on it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

Basically we are given the ratios of the sides (5/8), half of their difference can be any value we choose, there won't be any "impossible" values at all.

Hope it's clear.

Wow such a simple concept i must have left my brain someplace else.

Nice explanation.You rock man as always.
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&amp;Gas
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
hrish88 wrote:

No I mean ANY width is possible.

Let the the side of small square be \(x\) and the big square \(y\).

Given: \(\frac{x^2}{y^2-x^2}=\frac{25}{39}\) --> \(\frac{x^2}{y^2}=\frac{25}{64}\) --> \(\frac{x}{y}=\frac{5}{8}\).

We are asked which value of \(\frac{y-x}{2}\) is possible. \(\frac{y-\frac{5}{8}y}{2}=\frac{3}{16}y=?\).

Well, expression \(\frac{3}{16}y\) can take ANY value depending on \(y\): 1, 3, 4, 444, 67556, 0,9, ... ANY. Basically we are given the ratios of the sides (5/8), half of their difference can be any value we choose, there won't be any "impossible" values at all.

Hope it's clear.

To generalize then, since the answer does not seem to depend on the fact that the ration is 25/39, can it be said that regardless of what the ratio is, the width of strip can be ANYTHING?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618640 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mainhoon wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
hrish88 wrote:

No I mean ANY width is possible.

Let the the side of small square be \(x\) and the big square \(y\).

Given: \(\frac{x^2}{y^2-x^2}=\frac{25}{39}\) --> \(\frac{x^2}{y^2}=\frac{25}{64}\) --> \(\frac{x}{y}=\frac{5}{8}\).

We are asked which value of \(\frac{y-x}{2}\) is possible. \(\frac{y-\frac{5}{8}y}{2}=\frac{3}{16}y=?\).

Well, expression \(\frac{3}{16}y\) can take ANY value depending on \(y\): 1, 3, 4, 444, 67556, 0,9, ... ANY. Basically we are given the ratios of the sides (5/8), half of their difference can be any value we choose, there won't be any "impossible" values at all.

Hope it's clear.

To generalize then, since the answer does not seem to depend on the fact that the ration is 25/39, can it be said that regardless of what the ratio is, the width of strip can be ANYTHING?

Yes, width can have any positive value: the larger the width is the larger the whole square would be.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 281 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 01-30-2012
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

Thanx for the explanation.
I didn't understand one part:

We are asked which value of \frac{y-x}{2} is possible. \frac{y-\frac{5}{8}y}{2}=\frac{3}{16}y=?

Please enlighten me.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618640 [6]
Send PM
Kudos