Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 08:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 33

A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 23:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (02:16) correct 49% (01:14) wrong based on 146 sessions
A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS), the football team captain did a volte-face on Thursday by backing the controversial innovation and saying it would have to be used if the standard of umpiring keeps going down
A. A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS), the football team captain did a volte-face on Thursday by backing the controversial innovation and saying
B. A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS), the controversial innovation was backed by the football team captain when he did a volte-face on Thursday saying that
C. A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS), the football team captain did a volte-face on Thursday and backed the controversial innovation saying that
D. A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS), the football team captain had a volte-face on Thursday and is backing the controversial innovation by saying that
E. A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS), the football team captain did a volte-face on Thursday and has now decided to back the controversial innovation when he said that

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C
Source: Aristotle Prep SC Grail #26

I just wanted to clarify, in the correct option does not "saying that" have to be preceded by a comma? Otherwise we have "innovation saying" or it is correct as is? If it is correct, then please explain.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

There are times when I do not mind kudos...I do enjoy giving some for help

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 23:01
Agree that C is correct but without commait seems its not the captain but the innovation saying. I believe a comma is needed before Saying to modify the clause.

Please confirm!
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System [#permalink] New post 07 May 2014, 09:14
obs23 wrote:
A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS), the football team captain did a volte-face on Thursday by backing the controversial innovation and saying it would have to be used if the standard of umpiring keeps going down
A. A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS), the football team captain did a volte-face on Thursday by backing the controversial innovation and saying
B. A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS), the controversial innovation was backed by the football team captain when he did a volte-face on Thursday saying that
C. A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS), the football team captain did a volte-face on Thursday and backed the controversial innovation saying that
D. A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS), the football team captain had a volte-face on Thursday and is backing the controversial innovation by saying that
E. A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS), the football team captain did a volte-face on Thursday and has now decided to back the controversial innovation when he said that

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C
Source: Aristotle Prep SC Grail #26

I just wanted to clarify, in the correct option does not "saying that" have to be preceded by a comma? Otherwise we have "innovation saying" or it is correct as is? If it is correct, then please explain.

we need an expert to reply .. pls

And kudos pls if others have same doubt ... i need to unlock the club tests
Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 28

Re: A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System [#permalink] New post 07 May 2014, 22:02
I feel A) is a better choice than C). Here are the reasons :

1. C) doesn't seem to be correct because the "and" is a parallel marker should express two independent ideas, while "did a volte-face" and "backed" are not independent ideas. Also, "saying" should be preceded by a comma, as rightly pointed out by obs23 and sarang31, to express the relation between the 2 ideas.

2. A) seems correct because "by backing ... and saying.. " refers to how the "the football team captain did a volte face".

Thanks
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System [#permalink] New post 07 May 2014, 23:32
obs23 wrote:

Initially, I also have confusion as you in the lack of comma before "saying that". However, if put comma before "saying that", the sentence will be ambiguous because "saying that..." will modifies preceded subject and clause before comma, including both two action "did a volte-face ..." and "backed...", while in the intent meaning, "saying that..." only modifies action "backed..."

Below is my process of elimination:

(A) backing paralleled with saying => not intent meaning
(B) wrong modifier the controversial innovation
(C) no error
(D) past tense go with present continue tense is strange to me
(E) not intent meaning "has now decided to back... when said that..."

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 10-28-2014

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2014, 09:46
Phoenix72 wrote:
Agree that C is correct but without commait seems its not the captain but the innovation saying. I believe a comma is needed before Saying to modify the clause.

Please confirm!

I feel the same , saying should be followed by a comma to make sense.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.84

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 109

Re: A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2014, 09:06
Hi all,

can you plz explane why D is wrong?

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 10-28-2014

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2014, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
krikatkat wrote:
Hi all,

can you plz explane why D is wrong?

@krikatkat
Hi,
The question stem looks as follows:

A. A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS), the football team captain did a volte-face on Thursday by backing the controversial innovation and saying >> should be followed by "that"
B. A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS), the controversial innovation was backed by the football team captain when he did a volte-face on Thursday saying that >>> The controversial innovation is not " A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS)"
C. A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS), the football team captain did a volte-face on Thursday and backed the controversial innovation saying that >>> Correct
D. A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS), the football team captain had a volte-face on Thursday and is backing the controversial innovation by saying that >>> Multiple errors : Error1 -> Verb tenses are not parallel in the series, showing a sequence and there by changing the original meaning of the sentence. Error2: The original sentence reads "the football team captain did a volte-face " , where as option D reads "the football team captain had a volte-face " both have different meaning. The change in meaning is unwarranted because the meaning of the original sentence is unambiguous.
E. A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS), the football team captain did a volte-face on Thursday and has now decided to back the controversial innovation when he said that >>>> Change in tense in parallel verbs is changing the meaning of sentence.

Kudos if my post helped
Re: A staunch critic of the Umpire Decision Review System   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2014, 11:33