Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [13]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Send PM
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Re: A Story of Persistence - 740 (3 Years and 3 Attempts) [#permalink]
Thanks to both of you!

The large increase in my Verbal score in my last attempt was mainly due to keeping my composure. I always had very high Verbal scores in my mocks but because of increased stress during the actual test, fatigue set in halfway through the Verbal section in my earlier attempts.

Over the course of my studies I took a ton of mock tests and had pretty much used up all good resources by the end of my second attempt. Here are my mock scores from the last attempt. I had a couple of repeated questions on each of these tests though:

MGMAT CAT 1, 670 Q43/V38 (without any practice)
GMAT Prep 1 (1st), 770 Q49/V48
GMAT Prep 2 (1st), 770 Q50/V46
GMAT Prep 1 (2nd), 760 Q49/V45
GMAT Prep 2 (2nd), 770 Q50/V45

I also took quite a few GMAT Club Quant tests.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
great improvement. congratulations!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [0]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
GShine wrote:
3. Time Management (25%)
4. Coping with Anxiety (25%)[/b]

Every individual is different, some people might not have any trouble with anxiety and others might feel the need to put more emphasis on theory and concepts. Nevertheless, I would advise anyone to keep these four aspects in mind throughout his/her preparation and fine-tune whenever needed.

Hey GShine, can't agree more about the importance of Time and Anxiety management ,both of these aspects are usually neglected by most test takers. I struggled with the Timing aspect myself and have been able to considerably improve my mock scores by just avoiding the temptation to spend extra time on questions in order to get them ALL correct. Most of us who do well during practice mocks but fail to replicate that on test day have Timing and/or Anxiety issues and this explains the big drop in the score on the Gday.Great you pointed it out. Congrats of the great score and good luck with the applications.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepeneurship
Schools:Wharton, UCLA, NYU, Cornell, Michigan, Columbia
GMAT 2: 620 GMAT 3: 700  Q46  V40
GPA: below 3.
WE 1: Nokia Siemens Networks
Send PM
dentobizz wrote:
GShine wrote:
3. Time Management (25%)
4. Coping with Anxiety (25%)[/b]

Every individual is different, some people might not have any trouble with anxiety and others might feel the need to put more emphasis on theory and concepts. Nevertheless, I would advise anyone to keep these four aspects in mind throughout his/her preparation and fine-tune whenever needed.

Hey GShine, can't agree more about the importance of Time and Anxiety management ,both of these aspects are usually neglected by most test takers. I struggled with the Timing aspect myself and have been able to considerably improve my mock scores by just avoiding the temptation to spend extra time on questions in order to get them ALL correct. Most of us who do well during practice mocks but fail to replicate that on test day have Timing and/or Anxiety issues and this explains the big drop in the score on the Gday.Great you pointed it out. Congrats of the great score and good luck with the applications.

I have almost the same story (2009,2010 and 2011 finally). I would like to add here that it is equally important not to be ahead of the time on the test as it is to be behind the time on the test. If you finish the sections say 10 minutes earlier you loose points as well because you end up making some careless mistakes. So it is extremely important to finish each section (Q,V) with 2 to 3 minutes remaining. Not more than that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Send PM
A Story of Persistence - 740 (3 Years and 3 Attempts) [#permalink]
Kudos
So finally, one and a half years after my GMAT debrief, my B-School application journey has ended with an acceptance to the Class of 2017 of Columbia Business School - my top choice.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
GShine wrote:
I was always more inspired by people who first got beat by the GMAT but who then worked relentlessly until they reached their goal.

How true! I am a part of a coaching establishment, and can vouch that over the years, the most humbling experience for us is when a person, who got beaten by GMAT in the first attempt(s) does not given up, and ultimately tames it!

I have always maintained that there is absolutely no shame in trying and not succeeding; it takes a lot of guts to persevere, and prevail.

Congratulations on your admit too. God Bless.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts