Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A straight picket fence is composed of x pickets each of whi

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2004
Posts: 593
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A straight picket fence is composed of x pickets each of whi [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2004, 00:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (02:26) correct 64% (01:18) wrong based on 114 sessions
A straight picket fence is composed of x pickets each of which is 1/2 inch wide. If there are 6 inches of space between each pair of pickets, which of the following represents the length of fence in feet?

A. 13x/2
B. 13x/2 - 6
C. 13x/24
D. (13x+1)/24
E. (13x-12)/24
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Attachments

Fence.JPG
Fence.JPG [ 13.67 KiB | Viewed 1951 times ]


Last edited by Bunuel on 20 Sep 2013, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2004
Posts: 893
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2004, 10:56
E for me too

let X = 4
the length = 3*6 + (1/2)*4 = 20 inches = 20/12 feet = 5/3 feet.

Applying 5/3 in answer choices we have for E) (13*4 - 12)/24 = 5/3feet


I had made some silly mistakes earlier. Stand corrected. Thanks to sdanquah

Last edited by venksune on 08 Sep 2004, 11:56, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 136
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2004, 11:12
I think bot of you are missing something to this question,I hope I could compy the question here and digest it properly.
I think the answer shd be E

Number of pickeks = x
Size of pickets = 1/2
length of pickets = 1/2x
If there are x pickets, it implies that there are x -1 spaces between the picket
Length of space = 6

total number of length = 1/2 x + 6(x-1) in inches
total lenth in feet =( 1/2 x + 6(x-1))/12
Simplify to get (13X-12)/24
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2004
Posts: 97
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2004, 11:50
sdanquah wrote:
I think bot of you are missing something to this question,I hope I could compy the question here and digest it properly.
I think the answer shd be E

Number of pickeks = x
Size of pickets = 1/2
length of pickets = 1/2x
If there are x pickets, it implies that there are x -1 spaces between the picket
Length of space = 6

total number of length = 1/2 x + 6(x-1) in inches
total lenth in feet =( 1/2 x + 6(x-1))/12
Simplify to get (13X-12)/24


Alternatively, each picket and the adjacent empty space represents a length of 6.5 inches.

Thus, total length of the fence = 6.5x - (6 inches for the one fewer empty space) = (13x-12)/2 in inches = (13x-12)/24 in feet.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2004
Posts: 593
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2004, 19:57
Yes, E it is.

Always look out for changes in units trap.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2004, 22:15
This is crazy. I got to the point where I do not know what the conversion factor is from inches to feet. Since GMAT is taken by an international community, shouldn't they stick to SI units?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2013
Posts: 91
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A straight picket fence is composed of X pickets each of [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 01:24
Can someone please explain why the answer is not D

I did it algebraically.

Basically since the 'space between pickets' is 6 inches and the pickets are 1/2 inch

why can't we just use 6 1/2 x + 1/2
Because each picket will have 6 inches of space and then you just add 1/2 inch for the extra picket. Doing this algebraically I get D

(6.5 x + .5) / 12 --> (13x - 12) / 24
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23535
Followers: 3483

Kudos [?]: 26102 [0], given: 2705

Re: A straight picket fence is composed of X pickets each of [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 01:35
Expert's post
laserglare wrote:
Can someone please explain why the answer is not D

I did it algebraically.

Basically since the 'space between pickets' is 6 inches and the pickets are 1/2 inch

why can't we just use 6 1/2 x + 1/2
Because each picket will have 6 inches of space and then you just add 1/2 inch for the extra picket. Doing this algebraically I get D

(6.5 x + .5) / 12 --> (13x - 12) / 24


A straight picket fence is composed of x pickets each of which is 1/2 inch wide. If there are 6 inches of space between each pair of pickets, which of the following represents the length of fence in feet?
A. 13x/2
B. 13x/2 - 6
C. 13x/24
D. (13x+1)/24
E. (13x-12)/24

x pickets mean x-1 fences, each of which is 6 inches wide.

So, the length = 6(x-1)+\frac{1}{2}*x=\frac{13x-12}{2} inches, or \frac{13x-12}{24} feet.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2013
Posts: 20
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A straight picket fence is composed of X pickets each of [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 20:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
laserglare wrote:
Can someone please explain why the answer is not D

I did it algebraically.

Basically since the 'space between pickets' is 6 inches and the pickets are 1/2 inch

why can't we just use 6 1/2 x + 1/2
Because each picket will have 6 inches of space and then you just add 1/2 inch for the extra picket. Doing this algebraically I get D

(6.5 x + .5) / 12 --> (13x - 12) / 24


A straight picket fence is composed of x pickets each of which is 1/2 inch wide. If there are 6 inches of space between each pair of pickets, which of the following represents the length of fence in feet?
A. 13x/2
B. 13x/2 - 6
C. 13x/24
D. (13x+1)/24
E. (13x-12)/24

x pickets mean x-1 fences, each of which is 6 inches wide.

So, the length = 6(x-1)+\frac{1}{2}*x=\frac{13x-12}{2} inches, or \frac{13x-12}{2} feet.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.



A small typo...you wrote 2 instead of 24 in denominator.
_________________

The First and Last time !!!



BKPL - Below Kudos Poverty Line .....Need your help.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23535
Followers: 3483

Kudos [?]: 26102 [1] , given: 2705

Re: A straight picket fence is composed of X pickets each of [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 02:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
StormedBrain wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
laserglare wrote:
Can someone please explain why the answer is not D

I did it algebraically.

Basically since the 'space between pickets' is 6 inches and the pickets are 1/2 inch

why can't we just use 6 1/2 x + 1/2
Because each picket will have 6 inches of space and then you just add 1/2 inch for the extra picket. Doing this algebraically I get D

(6.5 x + .5) / 12 --> (13x - 12) / 24


A straight picket fence is composed of x pickets each of which is 1/2 inch wide. If there are 6 inches of space between each pair of pickets, which of the following represents the length of fence in feet?
A. 13x/2
B. 13x/2 - 6
C. 13x/24
D. (13x+1)/24
E. (13x-12)/24

x pickets mean x-1 fences, each of which is 6 inches wide.

So, the length = 6(x-1)+\frac{1}{2}*x=\frac{13x-12}{2} inches, or \frac{13x-12}{2} feet.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.



A small typo...you wrote 2 instead of 24 in denominator.


Thank you. Edited. +1.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: A straight picket fence is composed of X pickets each of   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2013, 02:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Which of the following describes all the values of x for whi goodyear2013 3 30 Jul 2014, 01:53
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Fence X is twice as long as fence y... Maxirosario2012 5 28 Mar 2014, 16:58
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic A fence consists of m lengths of fence that are each n feet akshayb2 11 09 Dec 2012, 10:53
A straight picket fence is composed of x pickets each of gayathri 2 14 Jan 2005, 08:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A straight picket fence is composed of x pickets each of whi

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.