Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A study attempting to link fertility with increased sexual

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: La Martiniere for Boys
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [2] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
A study attempting to link fertility with increased sexual [#permalink] New post 07 May 2009, 03:55
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

45% (01:55) correct 55% (01:08) wrong based on 450 sessions
A study attempting to link fertility with increased sexual availability concluded that women unconsciously dress more attractively during ovulation. The study was conducted using pairs of photographs of 200 women and volunteer viewers who chose the photograph in which they thought the woman appeared more attractive. Researchers found that 67% of the time viewers chose the photo taken when the woman was ovulating.

The methodology of the study above is flawed for which of the following reasons?

(A) The study fails to specify what is meant by the word attractive, leaving it up to the opinion of the individual viewer.
(B) Because all the viewers were male, the results of the study were skewed by individual responses to attractive women.
(C) The study fails to account for the psychological complexity of sexual desire in women
(D) The study assumes that women will dress more attractively when they have greater sexual desire.
(E) Most women do not know when they are ovulating, and so would not dress more attractively on that day.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Thanks
rampuria

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 07 May 2009, 05:02
IMO E

A study attempting to link fertility with increased sexual availability concluded that women unconsciously dress more attractively during ovulation. The study was conducted using pairs of photographs of 200 women and volunteer viewers who chose the photograph in which they thought the woman appeared more attractive. Researchers found that 67% of the time viewers chose the photo taken when the woman was ovulating.
The methodology of the study above is flawed for which of the following reasons?

A.The study fails to specify what is meant by the word attractive, leaving it up to the opinion of the individual viewer --> sexual attractive is a basic instinct of human and needn't to be explained.
B.Because all the viewers were male, the results of the study were skewed by individual responses to attractive women --> the purpose of a study poll is to collect individual responses to form a general response to any issue. So, it's not flawed no matter what viewers are men or women
C.The study fails to account for the psychological complexity of sexual desire in women --> irrelevant
D.The study assumes that women will dress more attractively when they have greater sexual desire -->strengthen
E.Most women do not know when they are ovulating, and so would not dress more attractively on that day --> this asserts that woman does not dress more attractively on ovulating periods. Therefore, the result of the poll does not reflect that most viewers choose the photo that was taken on the ovulation periods because of attractive dress of woman but because of other factor that makes the woman attractive on that day
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 07 May 2009, 08:07
E

if they dont know when to dress attractively then the researchers rationale for getting the percentage is wrong.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 07 May 2009, 10:44
Ya E
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 07 May 2009, 13:35
C study doesnt explain what sexual "availability" means
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 07 May 2009, 16:13
E it is.

Always tag your question

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 07 May 2009, 16:38
Agree with E.

E suggests that women aren't aware of their ovulation periods. So,if E were true, the argument is flawed as the pictures can't be placed to ovulation periods in women.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 07 May 2009, 21:49
typhoidX wrote:
Now that I've read others' replies, here is my big concern with E:

The original info states that women UN-consciously dress better while ovulating. It seems that one of the conclusions of this study is to show that even though most women do not know their exact ovulation schedules, some kind of physiological phenomenon urges women to pay more attention to their own outward appearance/attractiveness... hence the fact that they do not know their own ovulation schedule would strengthen the conclusion that ovulation causes women to UNconsciously make an effort to increase their sexual attractiveness.

My thoughts exactly...still struggled with an answer though
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: La Martiniere for Boys

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 08 May 2009, 21:04
OA-A

Thanks
rampuria

SVP
SVP
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 12 May 2009, 00:47
rampuria wrote:

1.The study fails to specify what is meant by the word attractive, leaving it up to the opinion of the individual viewer.
2.Because all the viewers were male, the results of the study were skewed by individual responses to attractive women.
3.The study fails to account for the psychological complexity of sexual desire in women
4.The study assumes that women will dress more attractively when they have greater sexual desire.
5.Most women do not know when they are ovulating, and so would not dress more attractively on that day.

I get A .

study was conducted using pairs of photographs of 200 ()
|
|
viewers chose more attractive photos graphs ( Each viewer has his/her own definitioin of attractiveness. for e.g. one viewer may thought one photo attractive and other viewers may oppose the same viewer's)
|
|

67% of the time viewers chose the photo taken when the woman was ovulating
|
|
conclusion:women unconsciously dress more attractively during ovulation

A--> will false apart the argument

Option E:"Most women do not know when they are ovulating" directly contradicting Conclusion "women unconsciously dress more attractively during ovulation", but not finding flaw in the reasons which lead conclusion.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 14 May 2009, 10:10
Agree with A as well. I think E strengthens the argument instead.

x2suresh wrote:
rampuria wrote:

1.The study fails to specify what is meant by the word attractive, leaving it up to the opinion of the individual viewer.
2.Because all the viewers were male, the results of the study were skewed by individual responses to attractive women.
3.The study fails to account for the psychological complexity of sexual desire in women
4.The study assumes that women will dress more attractively when they have greater sexual desire.
5.Most women do not know when they are ovulating, and so would not dress more attractively on that day.

I get A .

study was conducted using pairs of photographs of 200 ()
|
|
viewers chose more attractive photos graphs ( Each viewer has his/her own definitioin of attractiveness. for e.g. one viewer may thought one photo attractive and other viewers may oppose the same viewer's)
|
|

67% of the time viewers chose the photo taken when the woman was ovulating
|
|
conclusion:women unconsciously dress more attractively during ovulation

A--> will false apart the argument

Option E:"Most women do not know when they are ovulating" directly contradicting Conclusion "women unconsciously dress more attractively during ovulation", but not finding flaw in the reasons which lead conclusion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 05:01
rampuria wrote:

(A) The study fails to specify what is meant by the word attractive, leaving it up to the opinion of the individual viewer.
(B) Because all the viewers were male, the results of the study were skewed by individual responses to attractive women.
(C) The study fails to account for the psychological complexity of sexual desire in women
(D) The study assumes that women will dress more attractively when they have greater sexual desire.
(E) Most women do not know when they are ovulating, and so would not dress more attractively on that day.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A

It has to be A. Because word attractive is not defined, every individual has his own view on attractiveness.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 16

Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 14:03
bigtreezl wrote:
typhoidX wrote:
Now that I've read others' replies, here is my big concern with E:

The original info states that women UN-consciously dress better while ovulating. It seems that one of the conclusions of this study is to show that even though most women do not know their exact ovulation schedules, some kind of physiological phenomenon urges women to pay more attention to their own outward appearance/attractiveness... hence the fact that they do not know their own ovulation schedule would strengthen the conclusion that ovulation causes women to UNconsciously make an effort to increase their sexual attractiveness.

My thoughts exactly...still struggled with an answer though

right. My answer was A as well.

always make sure to understand the stimulus correctly

If you like my post, a kudos is always appreciated ;)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 23:04
I picked A the moment I saw it. But then I got a doubt whether the question maker would give the answer so easily and I started looking through the other answers for mistakes/ways to weaken the argument. Sometimes the most obvious answers is right and in this case I wasted time trying to prove otherwise.

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 11:21
This post received
KUDOS
Agree with E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 02:36
A
Can we please have the answer

Success is my Destiny

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 16

Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 22:02
click the "Reveal" link in the original post for the answer. It is A
hardnstrong wrote:
A

If you like my post, a kudos is always appreciated ;)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 23:09
firasath wrote:
click the "Reveal" link in the original post for the answer. It is A
hardnstrong wrote:
A

Thanks @ firasath

Success is my Destiny

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 10:04
A for me too, but option E was actually a distraction.
However, a closer look at E shows that it kind of distort the line reasoning
of argument.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: CR- Research [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 23:35
Answer is A.
Re: CR- Research   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2010, 23:35