Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [23]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64891 [18]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
Re: A study comparing a group of chronically depressed individuals with an [#permalink]
I agree C is correct..but I don't understand why E is incorrect. E clearly weakens the argument by saying that there are other sources(high exposure to infections in this case) that can cause disorder to immune system and it need not be primarily because of the mental state.
As far as C is concerned, it weakens the argument by stating the opposite of what's stated in the conclusion.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [3]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: A study comparing a group of chronically depressed individuals with an [#permalink]
Kudos
shahPranay14 wrote:
I agree C is correct..but I don't understand why E is incorrect. E clearly weakens the argument by saying that there are other sources(high exposure to infections in this case) that can cause disorder to immune system and it need not be primarily because of the mental state.
As far as C is concerned, it weakens the argument by stating the opposite of what's stated in the conclusion.

Posted from my mobile device

As you mentioned:
"As far as C is concerned, it weakens the argument by stating the opposite of what's stated in the conclusion."
Bingo. Choice C attacks the conclusion. Choice E has no bearing on the conclusion, as the claim can still stand.
Choice E does nothing to change the author's claim, because it doesn't attack the claim.

The author's claim: The results strongly support the hypothesis that mental states influence the body’s vulnerability to infection.

Choice E: A high frequency of infections can stem from an unusually high level of exposure rather than from any disorder of the immune system.

We're looking at the correlation between depression and the immune system, and how the author uses the results to come to her claim. That's why Choice C works, because it affects the evidence the author relies on in order to make her conclusion.
Choice E doesn't do that at all. It just says that a high frequency of infections can stem from a high level of exposure. Period.
We're not concerned with a rate of infections that stem from any disorder of the immune system.
The author can still use her evidence from the tests, and still come to her same conclusion. Therefore, Choice E can't work.

Hope that helps :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
shahPranay14 wrote:
A study comparing a group of chronically depressed individuals with an otherwise matched group of individuals free from depression found significantly more disorders of the immune system among the depressed group. According to the researchers, these results strongly support the hypothesis that mental states influence the body’s vulnerability to infection.
Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the researchers’ interpretation of their findings?
(A) The researchers’ view does little more than echo a familiar theme in folklore and literature.
(B) Chronically depressed individuals are no less careful than others to avoid exposure to infections.
(C) Disorders of the immune system cause many of those individuals who have them to become chronically depressed.
(D) Individuals who have previously been free from depression can become depressed quite suddenly.
(E) A high frequency of infections can stem from an unusually high level of exposure rather than from any disorder of the immune system.

My answer : E beacause it states that disorder of immune system can be because of high level of exposure to the infections.

Please start commenting with your answers

Premises:
People who are depressed are found to have more immune system disorders.

Conclusion:
Mental states influence the body’s vulnerability to infection. (In other words, depression causes immune system disorders)

Doesn't this make you think that it could be the other way around too (in which case the conclusion would be wrong)? Just because depression and immune system disorders appear together, it doesn't necessarily mean that depression causes immune system disorders. What if actually immune system disorders often cause depression? You will see similar results if you study depressed people vs others in that case too.

Anyway, let's look at the options now to find the one that weakens.

Option (C) is right on target -
(C) Disorders of the immune system cause many of those individuals who have them to become chronically depressed.

(E) A high frequency of infections can stem from an unusually high level of exposure rather than from any disorder of the immune system.
On the other hand, (E) gives you an alternative cause of immune system disorders. Note that this does not weaken our conclusion. Just because there are additional ways that lead to immune disorders, it does not mean that depression may not be responsible for immune disorders.

Taking a simple example:
If we see that A and B appear together, can we say that A causes B? Well, that's not necessary. B could cause A instead.
What if I tell you that C causes B? Does it mean that A cannot cause B? Absolutely not! Perhaps both A and C can lead to B. So knowing that C causes B, does not weaken A causes B.
Hence (E) is not correct.

I slightly disagree with you. I see that C happens to weaken the arguement more that E. But E would have been a correct choice if the word "Can" was not used in it.
Am I correct?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64891 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shahPranay14 wrote:
I slightly disagree with you. I see that C happens to weaken the arguement more that E. But E would have been a correct choice if the word "Can" was not used in it.
Am I correct?

No, even if "can" was not used, you could not say that (E) is correct. We are seeking the connection between "immune disorders" and "depression". (E) says that "Infections can stem from high level of exposure rather than from immune disorders". It says that causes of frequent infection could be exposure instead of immune disorders. It has no connection to our argument.

Note our conclusion: "mental states influence the body’s vulnerability to infection"
In other words, depression (mental state) affects immunity (body's vulnerability to infection)

What actually causes or does not cause infections is none of our business. We are only concerned with depression and vulnerability to infection.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
A study comparing a group of chronically depressed individuals with an otherwise matched group of individuals free from depression found significantly more disorders of the immune system among the depressed group. According to the researchers, these results strongly support the hypothesis that mental states influence the body's vulnerability to the infection.

Q: Which of the following, if true, cast the most serious doubt on the researcher's interpretation?

A: The researchers' view does little more than echo a familiar theme in folklore an literature
B Chronically depressed individuals are no less careful than others to avoid exposure to infections
C: Disorders of the immune system cause many of those individuals who have them to become chronically depressed
D: Individuals who have previously been free from depression can become depressed quite suddenly
E: A high frequency of infections can stem from an unusually high level of exposure rather than from any disorder of the immune system

OA : C

Question : why is E not the answer? Following was my reason for picking E

Conclusion : Mental state causes vulnerability to the infection.

Goal : Weaken conclusion

E states, infections come from high level of exposure ....so its not related to the disorder of the immune system or the mental state of the person....Doesnt this weaken the argument ?

Please let me know where I am going wrong !

Thank you

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 23 May 2017, 05:47.
Last edited by broall on 23 May 2017, 08:21, edited 2 times in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Let's go with C.
Conclusion: mental states influence the body's vulnerability to the infection.
E mentions another factor that influences body's vulnerability to infection. Another cause does not necessarily negate the conclusion. Both of them can be true at the same time.
C states that disorders of inmune system make people become chronically depressed. This claim casts doubt on the experiment. You can see if C is true, the whole arguement is a mess of cause and effect.
C is the answer.

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
The argument is of the form A causes B.

In order to weaken it we need to find either one of the following:

1. B causes A
2. A and B occurred together at the same time.

Note that if we are saying A causes B then it may also happen that C can also cause B. So, any alternate cause of B WILL NOT be a weakener.

A: The researchers' view does little more than echo a familiar theme in folklore an literature : Irrelevant. There view is OFS.

B Chronically depressed individuals are no less careful than others to avoid exposure to infections : Whether they are careful is OFS.

C: Disorders of the immune system cause many of those individuals who have them to become chronically depressed B causes A

D: Individuals who have previously been free from depression can become depressed quite suddenly : We don't care. Do we?

E: A high frequency of infections can stem from an unusually high level of exposure rather than from any disorder of the immune system It is saying C caused B. Fine but not a weakener.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: ESCP Europe
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Hi,

Option C talks about "Chronic Depression", Shouldn't that be a clue for out of scope. The question stem does not really talk about chronic or acute depression.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
Send PM
Nihalkale wrote:
Hi,

Option C talks about "Chronic Depression", Shouldn't that be a clue for out of scope. The question stem does not really talk about chronic or acute depression.

A study comparing a group of chronically depressed individuals with an otherwise matched group of individuals free from depression found significantly more disorders of the immune system among the depressed group. According to the researchers, these results strongly support the hypothesis that mental states influence the body’s vulnerability to infection.

neither option c nor the question stem ever talked about the chronic depression, rather both talked about chronically depressed individuals, which conveys totally different from chronic depression.

Hope this helps you.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nihalkale wrote:

You may have skimmed over a word in the question stem -- the first sentence specifically mentions "chronically depressed individuals". But even if it didn't, I wouldn't describe C as "out of scope", since the chronically depressed are a subset of the depressed. Sometimes information about a subset is relevant to a conclusion about the set as a whole, sometimes not, but that kind of information is at least always within the scope of the conclusion. An answer that talked about how those with immune disorders are more likely to suffer injuries, for example, would be plainly out of scope, because the conclusion is about mental state, not about physical injury.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts