Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A study conducted by the National Institutes of Health

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which of the following, if true, best resolves this paradox?

• 10% [1]
  • 10% [1]
  • 0% [0]
  • 10% [1]
  • 70% [7]
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 689

Kudos [?]: 3028 [1] , given: 890

A study conducted by the National Institutes of Health [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 09:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (02:40) correct 32% (01:52) wrong based on 95 sessions
A study conducted by the National Institutes of Health demonstrated that the decrease in the number of deaths due to incorrect prescriptions in the US last year was the greatest since such statistics were first tracked. However, the same study also showed that public concern over incorrect prescriptions was greater last year than ever before.

Which of the following, if true, best resolves this paradox?

A) Stricter penalties for physicians who wrote erroneous prescriptions were the primary cause of last year’s decrease in death rates due
to incorrect prescriptions.

B) The news media did not increase its reporting of public concern over incorrect prescriptions in proportion to last year’s increase
in such concern.

C) Most people do not know that the National Institutes of Health tracks statistics regarding changes in the death rate due to incorrect prescriptions.

D) People who have the greatest concern about incorrect prescriptions are usually among those at greatest risk of receiving an incorrect prescription.

E) The news media covered substantially more cases of incorrect prescriptions that resulted in death last year than it had in
previous years.

OA: In a while.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Last edited by souvik101990 on 28 Jul 2012, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [1] , given: 75

Re: Tricky Paradox CR Question [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 10:16
This post received
KUDOS
Tricky indeed !

The demonstration given by the National Institutes of health shows both the decrease in death toll due to incorrect prescription and the public anxiety over the deaths caused by the same.This creates a paradox that what was the reason behind the people's worry.Maybe, because of some of the negative inputs given to people by some other reasonable authority?(E) clarify the paradox that - the media focused on the death caused by the incorrect prescription and so the hype created by the media made people to worry more.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Last edited by thevenus on 29 Jul 2012, 01:10, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Tricky Paradox CR Question [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 18:44
E Wins for me too..It gives a good reason for the people's anxiety
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: Tricky Paradox CR Question [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 12:15
I'm not able to understand the paradox here.
The Arugment says - decrease in the number of deaths due to incorrect prescriptions was the greatest because public concern over incorrect prescriptions was greater. Where is the paradox? Can someone assist?

Cheers!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 75

Re: Tricky Paradox CR Question [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 13:49
A study conducted by the National Institutes of Health demonstrated that the decrease in the number of deaths due to incorrect prescriptions in the US last year was the greatest since such statistics were first tracked. However, the same study also showed that public concern over incorrect prescriptions was greater last year than ever before.

Although less deaths were recorded last year,but people were anxious about the genuineness of prescription.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Last edited by thevenus on 29 Jul 2012, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: Tricky Paradox CR Question [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 15:24
Capricorn369 wrote:
The Arugment says - decrease in the number of deaths due to incorrect prescriptions was the greatest because public concern over incorrect prescriptions was greater. Where is the paradox? Can someone assist?

Cheers!

The paradox is when the death reduced we would assume that people would be happy. In this case the public concern should have reduced. Where as the public concern actually increased ..

Last edited by badribaba1984 on 28 Jul 2012, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Tricky Paradox CR Question [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 15:44
badribaba1984 wrote:
Capricorn369 wrote:

Cheers!

The paradox is when the death reduced we would assume that people would be happy. In this case the public concern should have reduced. Where as the public concern actually increased .. This is the paradox in the above question.

@thevenus & @badribaba1984 -
Folks - Thx for comments. Let me put this another way -
People concerns were high last year and that why they were cautious wrong prescriptions. This resulted in decrease in the number of deaths last year. I don't see any paradox here.
Makes sense?

What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!

Manager
Manager

Re: Tricky Paradox CR Question [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 15:52
Capricorn369 wrote:
badribaba1984 wrote:
Capricorn369 wrote:

Cheers!

The paradox is when the death reduced we would assume that people would be happy. In this case the public concern should have reduced. Where as the public concern actually increased .. This is the paradox in the above question.

@thevenus & @badribaba1984 -
Folks - Thx for comments. Let me put this another way -
People concerns were high last year and that why they were cautious wrong prescriptions. This resulted in decrease in the number of deaths last year. I don't see any paradox here.
Makes sense?

Here you are assuming a causation effect . where as these 2 are observations. Cause and effect is not mentioned anywhere.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Tricky Paradox CR Question [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 21:04
@badribaba1984 - looks like you've changed your answer and I am with you now. :-D My answer is E as well.

Btw, I agree that it is not a causation effect and both actions are taking place together.

Manager
Manager

Re: Tricky Paradox CR Question [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 21:35
@Capricorn369 i am glad that the explanation was helpful to you..
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 689

Kudos [?]: 3028 [0], given: 890

Re: Tricky Paradox CR Question [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 23:42
Expert's post
If deaths due to incorrect prescription decrease a lot, then public will be less concerned.
For e.g we are more concerned about deaths resulting from AIDS than those resulting from Polio
Hence the Paradox

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Re: Tricky Paradox CR Question   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2012, 23:42