Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 16:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 15:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.

A) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing

B) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in

C) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing

D) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in

E) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 21:21
Sorry there is a typo....the word "creatures" is plural in both choices
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 22:50
Please post the full question and may I ask you to reduce your jumbo sized avatar ? It takes lots of space.

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 23:12
The answers are super long and I only wrote down the 2 choices I was confused about down. It was in GMATPREP and I deleted the test already. I only need explaination between the 2 choices.

BTW - Didn't know my JUMBO size icon bothered you so much. Reduced - happy?
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 05:28
In A the phrase possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period is ambiguous...It can refer to either the sea creatures or to the dwindling food supplies.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 09:42
vineetgupta wrote:
In A the phrase possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period is ambiguous...It can refer to either the sea creatures or to the dwindling food supplies.

Vineet .. I don't think there's any ambiguity here...the phrase "resulting from increasing sea surface temp.." points clearly to dwindling food supplies... except that dwindling food supplies can't result from anything - supplies can only dwindle BECAUSE OF some external cause (like increasing surface temps).

Swagat - it's really heart-warming to see you'll never stop taking digs at people
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 11:37
Just a thought:
This forum is a not just about posting questions and getting the OA. It is about healthy discussions that fosters the learning process in other members. I can say that from my experience now that I have been around for quite some time in this great forum.
If someone is new to the forum and does not follow the guidelines that are laid down, a gentle reminder should solve the purpose. It is always good to stick to the rules but it is more important to see the motive behind the same.
Let us not get involved in making comments on other members but rather do what is expected of a member who knows what GMAT Club is all about. It is always good if we make a suggestion rather than a harsh comment.
Please let us do what is in good interests of everybody around us and not think of one as a lone ranger in this forum.
There have been many great members before who have made GMAT Club a family rather than an unknown forum where you come and go. So let us continue the spirit of GMAT Club .

Happy GMAtting.

Trying hard to conquer Quant.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC: Creature of Seabed [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 12:14
Witchiegrlie wrote:
Someone please explain to me why the original sentence is not correct.

A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creature of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.

The correct answer is:

that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in

After reading through both choices, I thought perhas the problem with the original is that the "possibly resulting from....." is modifying the noun food supplies and in the correct choice it's modifying the act of the food supplies dwindling? However, I'm still not sure so someone please help explain. Thanks!

Correct answer: "that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in "

-In this answer choice the reason for lack of food supplies is clearly explained.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 22:20
dwivedys wrote:
vineetgupta wrote:

Vineet .. I don't think there's any ambiguity here...the phrase "resulting from increasing sea surface temp.." points clearly to dwindling food supplies... except that dwindling food supplies can't result from anything - supplies can only dwindle BECAUSE OF some external cause (like increasing surface temps).

Swagat - it's really heart-warming to see you'll never stop taking digs at people

Hi dwivedys,I still think that it is ambiguous...
It is not always necessary that a participle phrase following a comma refers to the previous noun.If that is the case there is no need of the comma.

A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.

In this case it refers properly to the noun supplies...I know the sentence sounds awkward but my point is the noun reference...any thoughts??
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 16:13
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.

a) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing

b) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in

c) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing

d) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in

e) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: creatures of the seabed [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 16:19
"revealed that" d,e are out
c sounds just too awkward
a should be possibly resulted

I'd go with B

pi10t wrote:

a) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing

b) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in

c) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing

d) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in

e) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: creatures of the seabed [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2007, 17:43
cruiser wrote:
pi10t wrote:

Whats wrong with A? I think it should be A.

Same thing. I was wondering why A could not be OA?

'possibly resulted from' is required in A?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2007, 18:52
My take is A.

'Suffering From' is the right idiom.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2007, 10:41
Can some one explain why not "A"
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2007, 23:37
L.Doit.08 wrote:
IMO B
In A, the clause is not referring to the correct noun!

Still don't understand why A is incorrect. Can someone please explain it? What would make A correct? Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 255 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
13 A study of food resources in the North Pacific between [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 00:49
This post received
KUDOS
13 A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. North Pacific [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 11:56
My coice A .suffering from is correct ,also A maintains parallelism and correct meaning
We require that with revealed ,so D and E are out .
C has modifier problem ,its not due to food supplies but dwindling food supplies
B is wordy .Because - as a result of
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. North Pacific [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 13:24
sondenso wrote:
13 A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.

I have to go with B.

We all know that D and E are wrong because of the placement of "that".
In C, the modifier are non-essential, and it makes the sentence sounds like the "creatures were suffering from food supplies" instead of "from dwindling food supplies". Incorrect meaning.
There are two reasons why I picked B, not A.
(1) To me, "as a result of" is absolutely fine, not wordy at all. It is idiomatic.
(2) In A, "increasing" indicates that the event is continuing until today when the sentence clearly states that the event ended in 1996.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. North Pacific [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 15:18
I choose B.
In A this phrase does not sound right - "increasing sea surface temperatures".
A better option is "an increase in..." which is present in B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. North Pacific [#permalink] New post 20 May 2008, 21:05
sondenso wrote:

Well, GMAC thinks that VERB_ING which plays as noun is usually WRONG and UNCLEAR, fr example, KNOWING vs. KNOWLEDGE.
That why I do not choose A as my final choice, but rather B. Agree with BKK say.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC. North Pacific [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2008, 17:50
ldpedroso wrote:
sondenso wrote:
Thanks all of you.

The OA is A

But I like to see the reasoning of bkk, and geta. No mater what the choice you chose, the reasoning you made is more than useful! I learn a lot from all of you. :thanks

Hey, the OA at the GMATPrep is B
I chose A, but I was wrong

Thanks Idp, and sorry everybody, I double check and it is real that OA is B.!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: SC. North Pacific   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2008, 17:50