Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 22:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2005
Posts: 941
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 15:44
1
This post received
KUDOS
7
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.

A) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing

B) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in

C) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing

D) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in

E) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2007
Posts: 30
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:A study of food [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 19:05
jitendra wrote:
a) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing
b) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in---Perfect
c) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing
d) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in-We require that here
e) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing- same as D


Could anyone explain me how the grammar modifier follows ","...i always pick wrong choice when i face this kind of problem.

Thanks
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1436
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:A study of food [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 13:31
paeagain wrote:
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.
a) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing
b) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in
c) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing
d) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in
e) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing


D & E are out as they seem to say that creatures of the seabed were revealed

C is out because, both of them seem to say that suffering was because of food supplies

A is out because food supplies are possibly result of some thing. No

B is good because dwindling is possibly a result of some thing

What is the as in B? Is it a typo?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2008
Posts: 112
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:A study of food [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 14:19
paeagain wrote:
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.
a) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing
b) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in
c) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing
d) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in
e) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing


B is the correct one.
A is not considered to be correct because after a comma, "resulting from" is not the correct way to use. Instead, the more correct one is "as a result of".
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 956
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 712 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. North Pacific [#permalink] New post 01 May 2010, 04:49
It is incorrect to have “resulting from” after a comma. So, A is Incorrect.

C says that:
that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies,

Its meaning is that the creatures were suffering from food supplies. This is rather incorrect as the modifying part is missing in this introductory clause. So, incorrect.

OA is B.
_________________

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. North Pacific [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 11:19
ykaiim wrote:
It is incorrect to have “resulting from” after a comma. So, A is Incorrect.

C says that:
that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies,

Its meaning is that the creatures were suffering from food supplies. This is rather incorrect as the modifying part is missing in this introductory clause. So, incorrect.

OA is B.


why do you say that "resulting from" after a comma is wrong?
Thanks.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2008
Posts: 186
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. North Pacific [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 08:37
Reasons to go with B:

---it should be increase in sea surface temperature rather than increasing sea surface temperatures. Increasing means its still increasing
---seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling the usage of suffering because is right as we can say i was suffering because i had cold.
---of food supplies, which were dwindling-- which perfectly modifies food supplies.
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Matriculating
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 931
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: SC. North Pacific [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2011, 02:45
C is illogical - creatures were suffering from food supplies. So cause is food supplies or dwindling of food supplies?

A - "resulting from" is awkward.

B is correct.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1726
Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. North Pacific [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2011, 14:56
+1 B

I knew it!
"..., posibly resulting from" cannot modify "creatures of seabed". It is ilogical.
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Posts: 50
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Schulich (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.13
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: SC. North Pacific [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 08:56
A is wrong because seabed cannot suffer from (dwindling) food supplies. Seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling - perfectly makes sense. Hence B
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2011
Posts: 58
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: SC. North Pacific [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 15:14
Even though suffering from is correct usage .. you cannot say X is suffering from low food supply. Its is X is suffering because of low food supply.

B.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: GMAT BATTLE - WIN OR DIE
Joined: 02 May 2011
Posts: 175
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. North Pacific [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 04:41
I voted for A because B is passive "food supplies were dwindling".

sondenso wrote:
13 A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.
a) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing
b) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in
c) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing
d) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in
e) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2011
Posts: 386
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 87

GMAT Tests User
Re: A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 02:08
whats wrong in A v/s B?

A says suffering from dwindling food supplies

B says suffering because food supplies were dwindling

I voted for A because B is passive "food supplies were dwindling".


whats the difference in meaning ??? I dont understand


Also, whats wrong with C?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 331
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
13 A study of food resources in the North Pacific between [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 20:48
13 A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.
a) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing
b) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in
c) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing
d) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in
e) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing

In a, What does the sentence " possibly resulting from increasing~~" modify? food supply? creatures of the seabed? or
whole sentence?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Flying over the cloud!
Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 818
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: food resources [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 05:46
eybrj2 wrote:
13 A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.
a) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing
b) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in
c) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing
d) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in
e) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing

In a, What does the sentence " possibly resulting from increasing~~" modify? food supply? creatures of the seabed? or
whole sentence?


Nope, the action "food supplies were dwindling" is result of increasing temperature => result... modifies this action. Only B and C remain. C is modified by restrictive adjective phrase that is wrong. Only B is correct one.
_________________

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Joined: 04 Apr 2010
Posts: 185
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '15, Stanford '15
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: food resources [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 15:13
IMO A , since "as a result of an increase" means a one time increase but "increasing " means a gradual increase.
The sentence is more logical when considering a gradually increasing temperature rather than a one time increase.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Posts: 276
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: food resources [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 20:23
eybrj2 wrote:
13 A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.
a) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing
b) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in
c) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing
d) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in
e) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing


In A, "suffering from dwindling food supplies" means that "dwindling food supplies" is some kind of disease. e.g. "suffering from fever". This is nonsensical.
In C, "food supplies" is not the cause of the "suffering" that the creatures of the seabed endure. The way the sentence is written incorrectly implies that "food supplies" is the cause of the suffering.
In D and E, "revealed creatures of the seabed" is at best unidiomatic. The creatures of the seabed were not revealed. Rather, the suffering that the creatures were enduring was revealed. "Revealed that" is a proper idiom.

That leaves B, the correct answer.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 1576
Location: New York, NY
Followers: 289

Kudos [?]: 663 [1] , given: 6

Re: food resources [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 22:12
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This is one of those questions that the GMAC folks have focused on - namely you come down to 2 answer choices but the correct answer choice is the one that makes sense within the sentence - though gramatically both can be correct.

In this case, C does not make sense because creatures of the seabed were NOT suffering BECAUSE of food supplies. They were suffering because the food supplies were DWINDLING.

How the sentence is structured comes to this reasoning, though in speech you may have heard people talking this way. But on the GMAT exam, it's not a sentence that makes sense.
_________________


... and more


Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)


GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2011
Posts: 30
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.44
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: food resources [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 22:25
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.
a) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing - Suggests as if the food supplies resulted from increasing temperatures. Wrong meaning. The food supplies only dwindled because of increasing temperatures.
b) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in - Correct. 'possibly as a result...' modifies the previous clause 'food supplies were dwindling'
c) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing - Creatures suffering because of food supplies! totally wrong meaning
d) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in - means such that the study revealed the creatures. Wrong. The study revealed some fact about the creatures.
e) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing - Same as (D)
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1726
Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 10:11
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.
a) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing
b) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in
c) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing
d) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in
e) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing

In my opinion, A is wrong because "possibly resulting from increasing...period" is an adverbial phrase that is modifyfing a clause, which is "creatures of the seabed were suffering...supplies". In this sense, that modifier would be ilogical because the creatures of the seabed don't result from increasing sea temperatures.

However, reading some posts written by Ron Purewal, a master jedi in the GMAT, it seems that he and his team are not so sure that the error in that choice is the error that I commented above. They believe that error is that the comma shouldn't be after supplies. But after all the discussion, they don't really know :s

I believed that the rule was clear: A participial modifier (v-ing) after a clause and a comma modifies that clause. I don't understand why the confussion, or maybe I am not seeing something that I don't see.

Also, please confirm that the participial modifier is modifiying the clause "creatures of the seabed....", and not "A study of food resources....revealed that...".

Or, maybe I am becoming more expert than Ron Purewal 8-)

PS. Additional question: What is the difference between "increasing sea surface temperatures" and "an increase in sea surface temperatures"? In choice C, it seems that food supplies are increasing temperature. Possibly, the same case in A. Please confirm.
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Final Countdown
Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 564
Location: India
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 75

Re: A study of food resources [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 10:42
metallicafan wrote:
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.
a) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing
b) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in
c) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing
d) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in
e) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing

In my opinion, A is wrong because "possibly resulting from increasing...period" is an adverbial phrase that is modifyfing a clause, which is "creatures of the seabed were suffering...supplies". In this sense, that modifier would be ilogical because the creatures of the seabed don't result from increasing sea temperatures.



However, reading some posts written by Ron Purewal, a master jedi in the GMAT, it seems that he and his team are not so sure that the error in that choice is the error that I commented above. They believe that error is that the comma shouldn't be after supplies. But after all the discussion, they don't really know :s

"...... were suffering because food supplies were dwindling....."-direct cause effect relation (,) was less preferred.

I believed that the rule was clear: A participial modifier (v-ing) after a clause and a comma modifies that clause. I don't understand why the confussion, or maybe I am not seeing something that I don't see.

isn't is a working verb, not verb+_ing modifier for sure


Also, please confirm that the participial modifier is modifiying the clause "creatures of the seabed....", and not "A study of food resources....revealed that...".

latter is correct.

Or, maybe I am becoming more expert than Ron Purewal 8-)

PS. Additional question: What is the difference between "increasing sea surface temperatures" and "an increase in sea surface temperatures"? In choice C, it seems that food supplies are increasing temperature. Possibly, the same case in A. Please confirm.



food supplies were dwindling as a result of an increase in
preferred construction
even though it is not, when other things are not in place , this pair got no place eventually
_________________

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Re: A study of food resources   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2012, 10:42
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 limzzon 0 28 Jul 2008, 10:21
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 tarek99 0 28 Oct 2011, 02:08
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 pi10t 0 05 Sep 2007, 23:37
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 jerrywu 0 13 Sep 2006, 21:57
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 jjhko 0 03 Sep 2006, 13:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 106 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.