Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 01:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A study plan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2005, 23:45
BB thanks for the post, but I am curious has to how your balanced your time between the quant section and verbal.

Is it better to go big bang and study up on one section as much as possible then move to the next, or is it better to do a little bit of each section.

I am always worried that i am going to forget what i leanred in quant while studying for verbal and vice versa.....

Anyone else have any thoughts on whatworked for them?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2005, 23:48
Also

How did you convince your company to let you come in at noon? I have an amazingly difficult time trying to balance work lifeand the gmat.

Anyone have any time allocation tips on how to balance it all out.

My current schedule is

530 - 8am wake up, gym, commute to work
8 - 6pm work
7-10 gmat
Repeat

Throw in about 8 hours on the weekend for the GMAT
4 hours a week playing in a basketball leauge for life
And helping my GF start her company for some more work

is this ever going to work, or am i going to have to cut something out?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2005, 19:50
thenine wrote:
Also

How did you convince your company to let you come in at noon? I have an amazingly difficult time trying to balance work lifeand the gmat.

My current schedule is

8 - 6pm work
7-10 gmat
Repeat

is this ever going to work, or am i going to have to cut something out?

3 hours per day plus 8 hours on the weekend. I've done that for the GRE and it worked well for me. But I had to stay disciplined for 4 months and stick with the schedule. I'm sure you'll do just fine.

If it's possible, try to sneak in an hour or two of study time at work, that would help. Try to work on math problems at work while being distracted by emails and so forth. When you get to the exam center, you'll find out how distracting it can really get. CR questions are also challenging and fun while being distracted. Pulling off 20-30 CR questions throughout the day at work will definitely help you ace that section.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 13:33
Like BB one of my major areas where i bomb is probability...it really isnt that hard but can make you spend that extra 5-10 minutes on figuring out a problem which can make a enormous difference between finishing comfortably and rushing through the last few problems...
here is a pretty good website
http://www.probabilitytheory.info/
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2005, 18:51
[quote="supraboy888"][quote="thenine"]Also

My current schedule is

8 - 6pm work
7-10 gmat
Repeat

is this ever going to work, or am i going to have to cut something out

Hello All,
I'm new to this forum. But I've been a silent participant for a week now.
I plan to take my GMAT around the end of May (haven't registered yet).
With a hectic job and 2 kids, I seem to have the same problem of allocating enough time every week for serious preparation. To be honest, I have started my GMAT prep and given up several times because I hvn't been able to stick to a strict schedule :( . Any tips / gameplans that I can follow. Thanks, SSAP [/list]
Intern
Intern

Which books? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2005, 08:58
What is OG?

I am a scientist with a Ph.D. in EE. I just tried the power prep software and the only thing that seems hard to me is the sentence correction (I am not a native english speaker). What material would you recommend? I plan to start my EMBA in 2006 at Wharton, Columbia or NYU. Right now my preference is Wharton.

thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

A Study Plan [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2005, 22:12
I have just joined this forum a month back, and was a passive reader, trying to work out a gmat study plan for myself. I thought I shall share my study plan with the forum here. But before that, a brief background about myself. I am a software project leader, in India. I have a masters in computer applications, and with a work experience of 9 years. I think I should start looking at EMBA to move myself up the ladder.

I am looking at joining a good business school in India, and I am looking at IIM (Indian Institue of Management) and ISB (Indian School of Business) as the first choice. I know they are very premier institutes in India, and I need to have a score of 700+ to get in.

I plan to take my GMAT by end october or early November in 2005. I should be registering for my exams by end july. I think I have a good time to prepare, but I need to balance my preparation, with my work and home. I have the following books to help me.
1) Arco
2) Princeton Review
3) Kaplan
4) OG
I am bit confident about Quants, and verbal is where I have to concentrate a lot. I have also bought a book "High School, English Grammar and composition" by Wren & Martin. People in India, would be very much aware of this book, it gives you a very strong basics on English grammar.

I have been concentrating on Critical reasoning for the past 15 days, and Arco has been very good in this aspect. I have now started to work on the exercies in CR, and I am slowly getting confident in this area.

In the month of May, I plan to work on comprehension and basics on Math.

June I plan to get into the advanced topics of math like probablity and permutation - combinations.

July I plan to spend one full month for sentence correction. By this time, I would have also enrolled for the exam.

From hereon, I plan to review whatever I have learnt, and start taking practice test by September.

I shall keep this forum informed on my plans, and I am sure, I shall be able to get my questions answered, whenever I have them.

I know, I have a ambitious plan on hand - Where there is a will there is a way. Isn't it.

Thanks to all of you. And I hope to help all those, wherever I can. All the best to each of you.

regards
Intern
Intern

Re: A study plan [#permalink] New post 26 May 2005, 14:29
Can anybody advice me how to prepare for GMAT.I have finished my Bachelors a month ago.And with a month preparartion ,i sat for GMAT exam -ended up with just 500 (Scale scored 41/Q ,19/V).
I am very depressed. I am planing for MS in finance in Oct sem 2006, for which i need to score 700.
Plz guide me how to prepare in a month.I have not attended any coachings.I am self preparing with the books -OG,Kaplan,PR and Barron.
I am mostly weak in verbal part.
I am not working so can study whole day.Waiting for suggestions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Where to get the delta course? [#permalink] New post 30 May 2005, 08:25
Hi everyone,

I'm new and starting to gather all the resources I need. How to I get info/ access to the delta course you mentioned above?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern

How are these Practice Sections? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2005, 11:28
Hi,
I just downloaded a bunch of practice material (it came in ps.zip, ds.zip, cr.zip, sc.zip, rc.zip) from gmatclub website. The zip files contain various sections and each section contains a timed set of questions. For example, the ps section 1 contains 20 questions to be done in 30 minutes.

I just wanted to know how good are these for the exam prep - I was thinking of charting out a plan of study and was considering putting these in the plan - has anyone practiced with these?

Thanks!
- HJ
Intern
Intern

Strategy [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 12:27
Dear Friends ,

I have only a month to prepare for GMAT.Please advice me the schedule.From where should I start preparing .I have OG 10TH Edition ,PR , KAPLAN , Barron's.Plz suggest me whether these are sufficient for preparation?

Really urgent plz reply soon.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2006, 12:17
What exactly is powerprep and where can I get it?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2006, 12:10
I think Cracking the GMAT is also good in the beginning. Barrons is not bad - why not?

I study 1-2 hours every day(after work 1 hour rest and then 1-2 hours study), weekends -try 3-4 hours per day (mostly tests). I am planning to take one week of vacation before the test and practice, study as much as possible also before the test.

Take 1 day before the test as relaxing day - otherwise you will explode!!!

What you think about it?
Manager
Manager

Hi all - new member here. [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 18:11
Hi all,

I've just finished my PR book and want to move on to a Kaplan one and I'm stuck. I have 2-

a. Kaplan Primier Program 2007 Ed
b. Kaplan GMAT 800 2006-2007 Ed

Which book should I go to next? I've heard some mention a third Kaplan book: "Kaplan 200x With BD". Is this the same as (a.) above or an entirely different book.

I've also read some say (a.) above is not worth spending time on...?

Thanks for your help,

-Saumil
saumster@yahoo.com

Saumil Annegiri,
Business Analyst (Philly, PA)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 19:23
I believe that anyone with an engineering background should focus more on scoring as high as possible on the quant and less on verbal. Preparation will not help much in increasing the verbal scores beyond a point. I usually spend around 15 hours a week on GMAT which includes 1 or 2 full length tests.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Revisiting the strategy [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2006, 11:05
Hi All,
I took a GMATPrep test today and scored 620. Can anyone suggest the what could be further strategy. Q - 22/37 , V - 25/41

Regards,
Amit
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 12:37
delta course it is, thanks!
Intern
Intern

Sentence Correction issues [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2007, 16:13
I am studying for the GMAT and I realised that i am doing good on the RC and CR but the sentence correction gives me the most trouble. Does anyone have any recommended strategies for this ? I am using Kaplanbut the OG problems seem harder. Seems like Kaplan books doesnt cover all concepts.
Intern
Intern

19 more days to go [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 11:55
Good heavens, I have to face the music in less than three weeks. I'm relying completely on Kaplan Planner CD. Let's see what's going to happen. Today I took Kaplan Diag. test and got 640 (Q - 39, V - 40) though Q score doesn't show my actual Q potential. With this, SC was 100% up to mark and RC was pathetic. Long way to go.....
Intern
Intern

Re: Sentence Correction issues [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2007, 00:40
tlntd177 wrote:
I am studying for the GMAT and I realised that i am doing good on the RC and CR but the sentence correction gives me the most trouble. Does anyone have any recommended strategies for this ? I am using Kaplanbut the OG problems seem harder. Seems like Kaplan books doesnt cover all concepts.

With all my vast experience with SC, I can say that this is the most scoring section of Verbal and the easiest one. I don't see any reason why people should make phobia out of it.
Do 10 questions of SC at a time and try to narrow the choices from five of each question to 2 or 3. If you do mistake, analyse the mistake and make a category of it. There aren't many miskate-related concepts in SC. But remember to do your homework of analyzing. In addition, SC is all about practicing and identifying the incorrect ones. The more your practice, the faster you'll identify.
Re: Sentence Correction issues   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2007, 00:40