Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618866 [9]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [3]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 477 [2]
Given Kudos: 219
Send PM
Re: A study was designed to establish what effect, if any, the long-term [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
A study was designed to establish what effect, if any, the long-term operation of offshore oil rigs had on animal life on the bottom of the sea. The study compared the sea-bottom communities near rigs with those located in control sites several miles from any rig and found no significant differences. The researchers concluded that oil rigs had no adverse effect on sea-bottom animals.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the researcher’ conclusion?

Hi burh4ni

Please find my explanation below:

Conclusion : Oil rigs had no adverse effect on sea-bottom animals

Pre-Thinking :
1) Maybe we aren't analyzing the long-term effect of these rigs on the sea-bottom animals.
2) As we are just conducting the tests near the rigs vs control sites, there might be a butterfly effect. As conclusion is generic to all the sea-bottom animals. These rigs should not affect sea-bottom animals anywhere else.

(A) Commercially important fish depend on sea-bottom animals for much of their food, so a drop in catches of these fish would be evidence of damage to sea-bottom communities.OFS, Irrelavant to the conclusion.

(B) The discharge of oil from offshore oil rigs typically occurs at the surface of the water, and currents often carry the oil considerable distances before it settles on the ocean floor.Yeah in line with our pre-thinking. This could affect the life of sea-bottom animals in those places.

(C) Contamination of the ocean floor from sewage and industrial effluent does not result in the destruction of all sea-bottom animals but instead reduces species diversity as well as density of animal life.Trap, This contamination is not caused by oil rigs. We are only concerned about Oil rigs contamination.(This is a perfect trap)

(D) Only part of any oil discharged into the ocean reaches the ocean floor: some oil evaporates, and some remains in the water as suspended drops.Strenghtens as there might not be much contamination.

(E) Where the ocean floor consists of soft sediment, contaminating oil persists much longer than where the ocean floor is rocky.OFS, Irrelavent with is argument.

If you find this post helpful, Please give me kudos and help me to reach the next level.Thanks :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A study was designed to establish what effect, if any, the long-term [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts