Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which [#permalink] New post 24 May 2005, 15:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
33.A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, is cultivated in China as part of a program to integrate traditional herbal medicine into a contemporary system of health care.
(A) A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,
(B) A derivative, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, of the Madagascar periwinkle,
(C) A Madagascar periwinkle derivative, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,
(D) The Madagascar periwinkle has a derivative which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, that
(E) The Madagascar periwinkle, a derivative of which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc-PERIWINKLE [#permalink] New post 24 May 2005, 23:49
perezhan wrote:
33.A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, is cultivated in China as part of a program to integrate traditional herbal medicine into a contemporary system of health care.
(A) A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,
(B) A derivative, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, of the Madagascar periwinkle,
(C) A Madagascar periwinkle derivative, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,
(D) The Madagascar periwinkle has a derivative which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, that
(E) The Madagascar periwinkle, a derivative of which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,

I'll pick E.
It is The Madagascar periwinkle which is being cultivated and it's derivative that has proved useful in decreasing mortality

The rest of the choices change the meaning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2005, 04:23
My answer differ from others. I was oscillating betweeb B/C. Though I like B over C but the comma at the end of the sentence made me pick C.

I think C is best here if B has no typos.

Saurabh Malpani
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2005, 08:24
I think it's C.

"which" should refer to "substance" or "derivative".

in A, "which" refers to "Madagascar periwinkle", which I believe is wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2005, 10:20
I think this Sentence has a dobious SUBJECT. In my opinion answer can be C or E either.

Saurabh Malpani
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2005, 13:11
saurabhmalpani wrote:
I think this Sentence has a dobious SUBJECT. In my opinion answer can be C or E either.

Saurabh Malpani

E - Wrong - How can Madagascar periwinkle be a derivate...the original sentence , clearly states a substance derived from Mad Peri.

I think C is good.

HMTG
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2005, 07:39
Perez, What is the source of this question.
Both A and C could be equally correct.

Check this rule out from

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/clauses.htm

the relative pronoun "which" could be used to refer to more than just the word it precedes:

E.g:

Some relative clauses will refer to more than a single word in the preceding text; they can modify an entire clause or even a series of clauses.

Charlie didn't get the job in administration, which really surprised his friends.

Charlie didn't get the job in administration, and he didn't even apply for the Dean's position, which really surprised his friends.

What is the OA?
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2005, 08:49
its definitly E). only the madagascar periwinkle itself can be cultivated. neither a substance in A) nor a derivative in C) can be cultivated. a "derivative" derives from something. the madagascar periwinkle can in fact derive from something else.

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2005, 09:09
not knowing what a prewinkle is....

I am going with A!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 30 May 2005, 09:54
I don't think the substance (derived from MP) is cultivated... cultivated should correspond to MP.. So I'll go with E

krish

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2005, 11:40
Older discussion thread:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=79652

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc-PERIWINKLE [#permalink] New post 31 May 2005, 16:45
perezhan wrote:

What is cultivated in china ? The periwinkle, so first phrase has to refer to the periwinkle.
A. Substance is not cultivated
B. Derivative is not cultivated
C. "which" is redundant here, and the derivative is not the one being cultivated.
D. seems odd. "that" is used wrongly here.
E. best answer.

ash

Re: sc-PERIWINKLE   [#permalink] 31 May 2005, 16:45