Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 05:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A summary section in the resume

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2011
Posts: 61
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

A summary section in the resume [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2012, 20:08
I am debating on whether to have a summary at the top of the resume.

I am thinking of something like:

"An engineer with extensive experiences at three medical device startups seeking admission to xx MBA program to further career in healthcare and entrepreneurship."

I am not sure if it is really necessary and helpful. What do you guys think?
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: A summary section in the resume [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2012, 20:17
travisz wrote:
I am debating on whether to have a summary at the top of the resume.

I am thinking of something like:

"An engineer with extensive experiences at three medical device startups seeking admission to xx MBA program to further career in healthcare and entrepreneurship."

I am not sure if it is really necessary and helpful. What do you guys think?

I think it's unnecessary. You're stating why you want to go to the school in your career goals essay. No need to be repetitive. Save that space for all of the professional and academic accomplishments you need to include in the resume.
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2011
Posts: 61
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: A summary section in the resume [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2012, 20:21
Make sense, Thanks man.

I was thinking since the interviewer will only have my resume, it is helpful to have a short summary. Plus, it is not obvious that the companies are startups.
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: A summary section in the resume [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2012, 20:42
travisz wrote:
Make sense, Thanks man.

I was thinking since the interviewer will only have my resume, it is helpful to have a short summary. Plus, it is not obvious that the companies are startups.


No problem. FYI, I'm a woman. :-D

As for explaining your companies are startups simply put a description next to the company title (i.e. Technology startup specializing in iPhone apps, $10MM annual revenue, 25 employees). Takes up no additional lines in the resume, unlike a summary. HTH.
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2011
Posts: 61
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: A summary section in the resume [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2012, 20:48
cheetarah1980 wrote:
travisz wrote:
Make sense, Thanks man.

I was thinking since the interviewer will only have my resume, it is helpful to have a short summary. Plus, it is not obvious that the companies are startups.


No problem. FYI, I'm a woman. :-D

As for explaining your companies are startups simply put a description next to the company title (i.e. Technology startup specializing in iPhone apps, $10MM annual revenue, 25 employees). Takes up no additional lines in the resume, unlike a summary. HTH.


sorry!

thanks for the comments again.
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3143
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 519 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: A summary section in the resume [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2012, 22:55
Expert's post
Yeah. Totally agree. Unnecessary. And a waste of space. Your resume is sooooo short, that EVERY line should be adding value.
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: A summary section in the resume   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2012, 22:55
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Including "personal interests" section on resume brosnan6 9 30 Dec 2012, 18:37
1 Resume - Skills section Yalephd 5 12 Sep 2011, 08:58
1 Geometry Summary daijy1234 1 26 May 2011, 14:22
employment section vs resume peaceyall 2 04 Nov 2008, 10:40
resume - include a summary? willdearborn 1 02 Oct 2006, 14:58
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A summary section in the resume

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.