Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A survey of charitable giving in the state found that the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 323

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
A survey of charitable giving in the state found that the [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2013, 13:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (02:31) correct 45% (01:38) wrong based on 242 sessions
A survey of charitable giving in the state found that the average dollar amount contributed annually by residents of urban areas to programs for the homeless was $15 greater than the amount contributed by residents of rural areas. The survey’s creators, an urban-promotion group known as Live in the City, concluded that city dwellers are on average more generous than residents of rural areas.

EACH of the following, if true, casts doubt on the conclusion of the survey’s creators EXCEPT

A)An unrelated survey of annual charitable giving finds that residents of rural areas give 3% less to charity than residents of urban areas.
B)There are more homeless people in urban areas than rural areas, making it more likely that urban residents would contribute to those charities.
C)There are more charities in general operating in urban areas than in rural areas.
D)The survey is calculated based on dollar amount rather than percentage of income, and does not account for the fact that incomes in urban areas are often higher.
E)The group Live in the City has been known to alter survey results for marketing purposes.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by guerrero25 on 01 Jun 2013, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2622 [0], given: 696

Re: A survey of charitable giving in the state found that the [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2013, 13:49
Expert's post
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 19

Re: A survey of charitable giving in the state found that the [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2013, 16:01
My choice is C.

We are looking for the odd one out, C talks about the number of charities, which has no bearing on whether the conclusion can be flawed. Other choices do.

MV
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing.” ― George S. Patton Jr

5 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1197 [5] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A survey of charitable giving in the state found that the [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2013, 16:14
This post received
KUDOS
My take here is A:

A)An unrelated survey of annual charitable giving finds that residents of rural areas give 3% less to charity than residents of urban areas.
This supports the conclusion, which states that urban dwellers are more generous. Even if in this particular case urban dwellers donated more, this additional info supports the hypotesis that urban residents are in fact more generous.
B)There are more homeless people in urban areas than rural areas, making it more likely that urban residents would contribute to those charities.
Since the program in the passage is about homeless people, urban residents are more likely to donate to that cause. But we cannot generalize saying that they are more generous in general. This weakens the conclusion.
C)There are more charities in general operating in urban areas than in rural areas.
This could translate in more opportunities to donate, and in this case urban dwellers could donate more not because they are generous, but because they have more possibilities to do so.
I saw a lot of Cs before my post, and here is why I think is not correct:
I go out every day with 5$, willing to donate them. If I live in the city, I can find more charities and I can donate them easily; but if I live in a rural area I cannot (take the case in which there is only one charity organization). Does this mean that I am less generous if I live in the rural area? I don't think so...
This is why IMO C casts doubts on the conclusion.
D)The survey is calculated based on dollar amount rather than percentage of income, and does not account for the fact that incomes in urban areas are often higher.
The first part (before the comma) points out that the dollar amount is not a good estimator of the generosity compared to a percentage indicator.
The second part gives credit to the fact that, because incomes in the urban area are higher, the "15 $ difference" should not transalate into more generosity.
E)The group Live in the City has been known to alter survey results for marketing purposes.
Since the group is an "urban-promotion group" it could alter the results in favor of the city.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '15
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 97

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A survey of charitable giving in the state found that the [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2013, 16:17
carcass wrote:
The answer should be C

Each choice is related to the amount of donations or the survey carried out.

C instead talk of number of charities in an area

Carcass,
On reading ur response the first thought that comes to my mind is 'so what?'
Can u explain in more details?
Intern
Intern
Sat: V
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-22-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: A survey of charitable giving in the state found that the [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 11:47
A is the answer IMO, here question is to strengthen the conclusion

C--> more charities does not imply greater value of contribution in fact the average $ value may also reduce.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A survey of charitable giving in the state found that the [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2014, 06:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
Re: A survey of charitable giving in the state found that the [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2014, 07:53
A actually negates, but C looks like it's irrelevant.
Can anyone weigh in?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

A survey of charitable giving in the state found that the [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2014, 13:51
C should not be correct.

Basically Live In The City attributes "more donation in urban" to "urban people are more generous", yet C suggests that "more donation in urban" could be caused by another fact that " it is easier for urban people to make donation due to more charity opportunities". Therefore, C weakens.

carcass wrote:
The answer should be C

Each choice is related to the amount of donations or the survey carried out.

C instead talk of number of charities in an area
A survey of charitable giving in the state found that the   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2014, 13:51