Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:56 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [5]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 482 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: A tough Journey to 730 [#permalink]
Many Many Congratulations... Nice debrief...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Send PM
Thanks alicegmat and neeraj7k.

Feels good to be done with the GMAT!

On to applications now !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
congratulations!!!!! and good luck for the application part
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-29-2011
GPA: 3.5
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Congrats.. Hardwork rewards.. Thanks for ur valuable suggestions..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you guys.

I've gotten a few messages to share some tips for RC. Hope I can help you with that.

First and foremost, I'd highly recommend that try to take interest interest in RC passages. IF you read them with a will to learn about the subject you'll gain a lot more.

Sometimes, NOT ALWAYS, especially in bio passages, I made notes while reading the passages. For example: just write down names of people who discovered something and the years with a brief description of what happened in that year. WRiting down names will not only help u make notes but also help you to remember who did what and who said what, when. Sometimes when you've 10 people saying 10 different things in a passage its always good to write down names to distinguish who said what.

I always used process of elimination effectively to eliminate wrong answers. Wrong answers will always mean something more or something else other than the real answer choice. Don't actively look for the right answer choice right away. Pre-phrase your answer if you can and then browse through the choice and eliminate the ones you think can not be the answer. You'll be left with the right answer choice in most cases.

Always try to read the first few lines carefully to learn what the passage is about. Pay attention to words that change the flow of the passage for example words such as however, although, Nevertheless, on the contrary, These words usually introduce an opposing view. Other words such as because, since, as a result introduce some premise to support the conclusion as in CR. Practice as much as you can. In some time, while reading the passage, you'll figure out what questions gmat is going to ask you.

Some passages are very hard to understand cuz of their scientific or historical background. In those cases just read as much as you can and understand as much as you can. Most of the times gmat doesn't even want you to understand the whole passage so if there's something that you don't understand something in the passage, chances are you won't even need to know it.

TO be on the safer side just try to memorize the location of the information in the passage so that you can come back to it if need be.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey congrats ! Could you tell us what your practice test scores were ? ( like practice tests other than the GMAT prep )

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Other than GMAT prep, I took MGMAT and Knewton tests only.

Towards the end I also did a few GMAT club tests.

MGMAT scores

Test 1 520 (Diagnostic)
Test 2 610
Test 3 640
Test 4 680
Test 5 720
Test 6 680

I got my MGMAT tests reset after my first attempt on the GMAT.

I only took 3 MGMAT tests the second time.

Test 1 710 Q48 V40
Test 2 700
Test 3 720

In gmatclub tests, I consistently got 32+ correct on quant and 35+ correct on verbal.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Re: A tough Journey from 520 to 730 [#permalink]
So based on that Mgmat tests are a little bit harder than the actual GMAT right ?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Also from your Mgmat test 5 and Mgmat test 6 there was a 40 pt drop , is it normal for the fluctuations to be this large ? I'm asking because I took a Kaplan test 2 weeks ago and scored a 690 , then I took another one 4 days later and dropped to 640 !

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Send PM
It's tough for me to comment on that without knowing the kind of mistakes you made. But I'd suggest you to not to worry about it at all.

Moreover, kaplan is worse known for scoring algorithm on its tests, so if you see such fluctuations on kaplan's tests, I'd say don't let it bother you. I know some people who got 53 in quant on kaplan tests and some got 45 when they only made one mistake in the whole section.

Try this calculator online. https://gmatclub.com/gmat-score-calculator/

Reading debriefs on this website, I've learnt that people usually score more on the GMAT than on kaplan.

Regarding MGMAT Tests, they're definitely much harder than the GMAT CATs, especially quant. Verbal is about the same level. The only difference is that in MGMAT tests you'll find 3-4 RC passages of 60-70 lines in every single passage which is unusual on the GMAT, results in less time available on verbal sections.

In hindsight, I had better chance of scoring higher on the GMAT than any of these tests because they were harder than the real gmat or gmat prep tests.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Cool thanks !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
congratulations!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
a nice de-brief....congrats n wish u luck...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks meisam63 & rajeevrks27.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Great job! Thank you for your advice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
First of all, a big congrats on breaking the 700 mark.

I'm currently working on SC and its really killing me. Could you please tell me how you studied for SC. I'm using Manhattan SC however, due to lack of questions at the end of each chapter, I feel the concepts aren't really sticking in my head. The book refers you to OG problems but I haven't touched OG yet since I did not want to waste those questions this early on. But I'm having second thoughts now. Maybe I should just practice those. I would really appreciate if you could shed light over this issue. Also a silly question. What is SC1000 :oops:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aisha12 wrote:
First of all, a big congrats on breaking the 700 mark.

I'm currently working on SC and its really killing me. Could you please tell me how you studied for SC. I'm using Manhattan SC however, due to lack of questions at the end of each chapter, I feel the concepts aren't really sticking in my head. The book refers you to OG problems but I haven't touched OG yet since I did not want to waste those questions this early on. But I'm having second thoughts now. Maybe I should just practice those. I would really appreciate if you could shed light over this issue. Also a silly question. What is SC1000 :oops:

Aisha,

I believe the practice questions at the end of chapters in MGMAT SC are sufficient to consolidate the concepts learned, so give it another look. I actually made notes from each chapter to memorize the grammar rules.
For example, where ever you see "since" you've to use present perfect. (easy one anyway)
Another example, where ever you see "within past few years" it has to be present perfect again. Memorizing these things helped me identify key words. They are all mentioned in MGMAT SC in a whole page and I summarized it for myself in two lines.

Write down some examples in notes if you like. So in the end I had about 30 pages of hand written notes and I had the whole MGMAT SC concepts condensed in 30 pages and I was able to learn and use all the grammar rules.

Sentence correction 1000 = SC1000. It's a collection of 1000 old GMAT questions. Search for it through google search engine and you'll be able to find some useful practice questions. It helped me become confident on my second attempt. Before I used SC 1000, I was always able to narrow it down to 2 options and then always ended up picking the wrong answer. But practicing 1000 real gmat questions helped me learn from mistakes I made.

KEY THING for me was to eliminate the wrong answer choices rather than finding the right one. Always looked out for change in meaning, voice, tense. Try to prove that the answer choice is wrong and the one you're left with should be the answer, provided you did your due diligent to eliminate the wrong answers.

Most importantly, its okay to make mistakes now but not okay to make mistakes on the real GMAT so take time to practice as much as you can and learn from mistakes.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37297 posts