Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [28]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [6]
Given Kudos: 1036
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618871 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [3]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: A translation invariably reflects the writing style of the translator. [#permalink]
Kudos
its C --- MY reasoning :

C is taking about the style difference among computer programs ...that is irrelevant as one document is converted by only one computer program that will create a consistent doc.....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [1]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: A translation invariably reflects the writing style of the translator. [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO C
As option c talks about the computer's writing style which is irrelevant because a long document is fully translated by a single computer, so the document would not have any difference in the translation .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
gmatexam439 wrote:
A translation invariably reflects the writing style of the translator. Sometimes when a long document needs to be translated quickly, several translators are put to work on the job, each assigned to translate part of the document. In these cases, the result is usually a translation marked by different and often incompatible writing styles. Certain computer programs for language translation that work without the intervention of human translation can finish the job faster than human translators and produce a stylistically uniform translation with an 80 percent accuracy rate. Therefore, when a long document needs to be translated quickly, it is better to use a computer translation program than human translators.

Which one of the following issues would be LEAST important to resolve in evaluating the argument?

(A) whether the problem of stylistic variety in human translation could be solved by giving stylistic guidelines to human translators
(B) whether numerical comparisons of the accuracy of translations can reasonably be made
(C) whether computer translation programs, like human translators, each have their own distinct writing style
(D) whether the computer translation contains errors of grammar and usage that drastically alter the meaning of the text
(E) how the accuracy rate of computer translation programs compares with that of human translators in relation to the users’ needs

nightblade354 eakabuah
Well, i am having a bad day.
As per my understanding the problem discussed was that a long document when translated was not uniform in style, but when the same was translated by a computer program it was uniform in style, but the document now has some accuracy issues. So the argument must be assuming that Uniformity matters over Accuracy or that the accuracy of translation is same when translated by either of the two, in order to draw conculsion: "Therefore, when a long document needs to be translated quickly, it is better to use a computer translation program than human translators.". Isn't option E brings into play the assumption which if stated strengthens the argument.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5738 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
A translation invariably reflects the writing style of the translator. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
deveshj21, we are trying to find the item that LEAST helps our cause. Your explanation shows that you understand that (E) helps in a tremendous way, so there is no way it can be our answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
nightblade354
Kill me seriously kill me, I misread the question particularly "LEAST". Thankyou for making me notice.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
gmatexam439 wrote:
A translation invariably reflects the writing style of the translator. Sometimes when a long document needs to be translated quickly, several translators are put to work on the job, each assigned to translate part of the document. In these cases, the result is usually a translation marked by different and often incompatible writing styles. Certain computer programs for language translation that work without the intervention of human translation can finish the job faster than human translators and produce a stylistically uniform translation with an 80 percent accuracy rate. Therefore, when a long document needs to be translated quickly, it is better to use a computer translation program than human translators.

Which one of the following issues would be LEAST important to resolve in evaluating the argument?

(A) whether the problem of stylistic variety in human translation could be solved by giving stylistic guidelines to human translators
(B) whether numerical comparisons of the accuracy of translations can reasonably be made
(C) whether computer translation programs, like human translators, each have their own distinct writing style
(D) whether the computer translation contains errors of grammar and usage that drastically alter the meaning of the text
(E) how the accuracy rate of computer translation programs compares with that of human translators in relation to the users’ needs

Hi! In this question though I know that C is correct answer, but I wasn't able to eliminate B. Because in the passage it is already mentioned that computers translate with an 80% accuracy rate. So, that would already cover the grammar and meaning error. Please tell what am I missing. AndrewN IanStewart DmitryFarber
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
Hi! In this question though I know that C is correct answer, but I wasn't able to eliminate B. Because in the passage it is already mentioned that computers translate with an 80% accuracy rate. So, that would already cover the grammar and meaning error. Please tell what am I missing.

First, C is clearly irrelevant here, while B talks about something that might be relevant (accuracy), so C will be the right answer -- in a test situation, you wouldn't want to spend any time working out why B is wrong.

Answer B is a bit strange, for the reason you mention. I don't think you'd see a similar answer choice on the GMAT, because B seems to bring a premise into question, and I can't think of any GMAT questions that tread close to that line. It is, however, reasonable to wonder what that "80% accuracy" figure means, since, as the stem says, translation is a very complex task. What is the numerator and what is the denominator? If the author of the argument arrived at the 80% figure by one method (counting spelling mistakes per word, say), but there are many other methods you could use (grammar mistakes per sentence, say, or meaning errors per paragraph), there might not be a reasonable way to measure accuracy numerically. That's how I read answer B -- even reading the stem, the possibility is still open that accuracy can't correctly be numerically compared, and it would be useful to know if that's possible. There might be a better way to think about it, but in any event, if we learned we can't compare translators numerically, the 80% figure in the stem becomes meaningless, so we have less evidence that computer translators are competent. So B certainly matters.

On a side note, I find the argument bizarre: an 80% accuracy rate in translation sounds hopelessly bad to me, but the author of the stem seems to want us to think it's very good.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts