Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 03:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 285 [4] , given: 164

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (medium)

Question Stats:

24% (02:03) correct 75% (01:26) wrong based on 111 sessions
A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If a circle is drawn such that it is tangent to exactly three sides of the trapezoid and is enclosed entirely within the trapezoid, what is the diameter of the circle

(1) The parallel sides of the trapezoid are 10 inches apart.
(2) Of the parallel sides of the trapezoid, the shorter side is 15 inches long.

Will appreciate an algebraic proof.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Spring has passed, summer is gone and winter is here. And the song that I meant to sing remains unsung.
For I have spent my days stringing and un-stringing my instrument.

1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 2889

Kudos [?]: 18492 [1] , given: 2361

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
AbhiJ wrote:
A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If a circle is drawn such that it is tangent to exactly three sides of the trapezoid and is enclosed entirely within the trapezoid, what is the diameter of the circle

Given; the circle is is entirely enclosed within the isosceles trapezoid, so that it is tangent to exactly three sides

Below is the only case possible to satisfy the following conditions:
1. Height is 10.
2. Shorter base is 15.
Attachment:
Trapezoid.png
Trapezoid.png [ 5.66 KiB | Viewed 3268 times ]
So, diameter of the circle is 10.

Answer: C.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Intern
Intern
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Re: A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 19:39
I still have doubt.
1. If we consider, the height to be diameter, then wouldnt just A suffice

Bunuel wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:

Given; the circle is is entirely enclosed within the isosceles trapezoid, so that it is tangent to exactly three sides

1. Height is 10.
2. Shorter base is 15.
Attachment:
Trapezoid.png

Kudos if you like the post!!!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 19:46
I too thought the same , then with 1 you can fix the distance between the parallel sides of the trapezoid , but will not be able to restrict the size of the trapezoid until unless there is some extra info to do that , which here is the shorter side in 2.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 164

Re: A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 01:53
If we consider the case when the circle touches the two equal sides of isosceles trapezium and the shorter side, here I am not able to prove rigorously that the distance between the two parallel sides must be more than 10.

Spring has passed, summer is gone and winter is here. And the song that I meant to sing remains unsung.

2 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 18492 [2] , given: 2361

Re: A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 04:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
devpanda wrote:
I still have doubt.
1. If we consider, the height to be diameter, then wouldnt just A suffice

Bunuel wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:

1. Height is 10.
2. Shorter base is 15.
Attachment:
The attachment Trapezoid.png is no longer available

Consider the diagram below for statement (1):
Attachment:
1.png
1.png [ 6.92 KiB | Viewed 3148 times ]
As you can see we have two circles with different radii.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 05:08
I agree with Bunuel..
Both are needed to understand which combination of sides will be touching the circle.
Is it 1 Non-Parallel side and 2 Parallel sides OR 2 Non-Parallel sides and 1 Parallel side.

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT Date: 05-10-2012
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 05:18
I have a doubt..
there is also this statement in the question that "the trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical line". But the solution is arrived by assuming it symmetrical about a horizontal line.??
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 18492 [1] , given: 2361

Re: A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 05:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Prashant85 wrote:
I have a doubt..
there is also this statement in the question that "the trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical line". But the solution is arrived by assuming it symmetrical about a horizontal line.??

Vertical line: |

The trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical line (|) means that the trapezoid is isosceles.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 05:23
This post received
KUDOS
Nope.. The solutions is arrived by considering the statement that "the trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical line".
It cannot have non parallel sides on the y-aixs if it was assumed that the trapezoid is symmetrical about a horizontal line because the non parallel sides will intersect at some point..

Cheers,
Varun

Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 18492 [0], given: 2361

Re: A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 05:27
Expert's post
varunmaheshwari wrote:
Nope.. The solutions is arrived by considering the statement that "the trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical line".
It cannot have non parallel sides on the y-aixs if it was assumed that the trapezoid is symmetrical about a horizontal line because the non parallel sides will intersect at some point..

What you mean "nope"?

Stem says "a trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line" which means that that the trapezoid is isosceles. All diagrams show trapezoids which are symmetrical about a vertical center line.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 05:30
Bunuel,
The nope was for Prashant85 question that the solution is arrived by assuming it symmetrical about a horizontal line..
I think we both started answering at the same time and that's why I missed you answer while posting mine..

Cheers,
Varun

Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 18492 [0], given: 2361

Re: A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 05:34
Expert's post
varunmaheshwari wrote:
Bunuel,
The nope was for Prashant85 question that the solution is arrived by assuming it symmetrical about a horizontal line..
I think we both started answering at the same time and that's why I missed you answer while posting mine..

That's why I didn't understand your response. I guess all is clear then.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT Date: 05-10-2012
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 07:08
Thanks Bunuel and Varun...
Its clear now.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Re: A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 11:50
Bunuel wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:

1. Height is 10.
2. Shorter base is 15.
Attachment:
Trapezoid.png

Hi Bunuel,
Why can't you have a circle touching the isosceles side, in which case the radius is 15. I did not understand your solution. could you please explain.

thank you
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 164

Re: A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 02:23
jayaddula wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:

1. Height is 10.
2. Shorter base is 15.
Attachment:
Trapezoid.png

Hi Bunuel,
Why can't you have a circle touching the isosceles side, in which case the radius is 15. I did not understand your solution. could you please explain.

thank you

This is my doubt as well, I can see how it is true from the diagram. However when I try to prove it mathematically , i fail.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 6

Re: A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2012, 05:03
This post received
KUDOS
jayaddula wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:

1. Height is 10.
2. Shorter base is 15.
Attachment:
Trapezoid.png

Hi Bunuel,

thank you

Hi Jayaddula,
If we take only option B, then the diameter is >15 and not 15, i.e. it can be any number, so we can't say B.
Now for C If we have circles touching the isosceles sides, then the diameter will be >15 and not 10, i.e. the circle will not be inside the Trapezoid. This implies that circle will touch the parallel sides and not the non-parallel sides of the Trapezoid.Thus the two statements together are sufficient to answer the question.
Hope I am clear.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you like my solution kindly reward me with Kudos.

VP
VP
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 11:40
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: A trapezoid is symmetrical about a vertical center line. If   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2013, 11:40