Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 00:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1171

Kudos [?]: 3015 [3] , given: 176

A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM) [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 05:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi folks,

Here is a tricky 2 part question on Multi Level Marketing company (MLM).

A Multi Level Marketing company (MLM) builds its business through sponsorship with the company associates. An associate is rewarded a commission based on how much business is generated in his group i.e. people under him.
A new associate joins the business at the level immediately below his/her sponsor associate .
The business generated by an associate is termed as 'Individual Points', while total (or sum of ) business generated by the associate's group (including him) is termed as 'Cumulative Points'.
The associate's 'Commission Points' equals 'Cumulative Points' of associate's group less Maximum 'Cumulative Points' generated by any of the associates directly under him.
Pat is one such company associate, who has 3 levels of hierarchy under him.
Pat's 'level 1' (i.e. directly under Pat) has 2 associates, 'level 2' (associates directly under any of the level 1 associates) has 5 associates, & 'level 3' has 1 associate. In a particular month, Pat and each of his group associates have generated individual business worth 100 points.

Based on the information provided, select the maximum, & minimum possible values for 'Commission Points' for Pat, in the table. Different hierarchical structures of the associates in the group can lead to different values of 'Commission Points'.

Make only two selections, one in each column.

-Shalabh

Free Webinar: July 12, 2014 - Key to score 760 on the GMAT: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your GMAT strategy and create your own study plan to ace the GMAT. Click here to register.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 17

Re: A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM) [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 14:46
Maximum 500, Minimum 200. Too many words confused me, and hence was totally thrown out and ended up mixing Commission points and Cumulative points. But took a step back and realized that Commossion Points were to be calculated only for Pat, coz associates' commission points under Pat have no significance.

Anyways, my bet is Max 500 and Min 200. Let me know the OA.
Intern
Intern

Re: A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM) [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 15:06
And the reasoning is as follows:
Total Commission Point For Pat == 900 - (Max Cumulative Point of Level 1 Associates)
So Commission Point For Pat is
1. Maximum when "Max Cumulative Point of Level 1 Associates" is Minimum and
2. viceversa.

So,

1. Max Cumulative Point of Level 1 Associates is Maximum when All the Level 2 and Level 3 Associates are under one Level 1 Associates
So one of the Level 2 Associate Cumulative Point will be 700 and the other one’s cumulative point will be 100. Hence Commission Point for Pat == 900 – 700 = 200.

2. Max Cumulative Point of Level 1 Associates is Minimum when the Level 1 Associates have same Cumulative Point. (Coz a mismatch in Cumulative Points will decrease the Commission Point for Pat).
So the Level 2 Associates have Cumulative Point == 400 each. Hence Commission Point for Pat == 900 – 400 = 500.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3015 [0], given: 176

Re: A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM) [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 21:04
Expert's post
abikumar wrote:
Maximum 500, Minimum 200. Too many words confused me, and hence was totally thrown out and ended up mixing Commission points and Cumulative points. But took a step back and realized that Commossion Points were to be calculated only for Pat, coz associates' commission points under Pat have no significance.

Anyways, my bet is Max 500 and Min 200. Let me know the OA.

Hi abi,

Yes you are correct. Answer is 200 &500. Just posted an add-on question. You must attempt. what-you-choose-is-what-you-weigh-143895.html

-Shalabh

Free Webinar: July 12, 2014 - Key to score 760 on the GMAT: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your GMAT strategy and create your own study plan to ace the GMAT. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern

Re: A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM) [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 22:03
Shalabh,

Thanks. I tried that other question too. Please let me know whether my solution there is right.

Regards,
Abhishek
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3015 [1] , given: 176

Re: A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM) [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 20:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
abikumar wrote:
Shalabh,

Thanks. I tried that other question too. Please let me know whether my solution there is right.

Regards,
Abhishek

Hi Abhi,

Yes, you are correct. Keep it up. Pl. try this one too. multi-source-reasoning-question-advertising-channels-143952.html

-Shalabh

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 389 [0], given: 99

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM) [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 01:59
Expert's post
Shalabh,
Kudos man.. :)
Can you please share the explanations for this qs. ?
This is indeed a tricky one and also very time consuming I think..

It would be really great if you can come up with strategies to shot them within 2 minutes time constraint.

Appreciate your reply.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 52

Re: A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM) [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 09:41
abikumar wrote:
Total Commission Point For Pat == 900 - (Max Cumulative Point of Level 1 Associates)
2. viceversa.

So,

1. Max Cumulative Point of Level 1 Associates is Maximum when All the Level 2 and Level 3 Associates are under one Level 1 Associates
So one of the Level 2 Associate Cumulative Point will be 700 and the other one’s cumulative point will be 100. Hence Commission Point for Pat == 900 – 700 = 200.

2. Max Cumulative Point of Level 1 Associates is Minimum when the Level 1 Associates have same Cumulative Point. (Coz a mismatch in Cumulative Points will decrease the Commission Point for Pat).
So the Level 2 Associates have Cumulative Point == 400 each. Hence Commission Point for Pat == 900 – 400 = 500.

i have got the minimum value equalet to 200,,,,but can't figure out the maximum value, which in my case is 600,,,can u plz help me out in simple explanation,,,thank u in anticipation,,,,
Intern
Intern

Re: A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM) [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 23:46
Hi Maryam, the tree for the maximum value is something like this:

---------Pat-------
---A---------B-----
--CD-------EFG---
----H--------------

Value of cumulative point of B will be 400 which is as follows: B(100)+E(100)+F(100)+G(100) = 400
Value of cumulative point of A will be 400 which is as follows: A(100)+C(100)+D(100)+H(100) = 400

Remember the catch is that for A and B we need to calculate the cumulative point and not the commission point (which will be 300).

Extremely sorry for a late reply and for the distorted tree, am not very good at posting pictures on gmatclub.

Please let me know if you need any more clarity. Hope it helps.

Regards,
Abhishek
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Re: A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM) [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 21:08
Expert's post
abikumar wrote:
Hi Maryam, the tree for the maximum value is something like this:

---------Pat-------
---A---------B-----
--CD-------EFG---
----H--------------

Value of cumulative point of B will be 400 which is as follows: B(100)+E(100)+F(100)+G(100) = 400
Value of cumulative point of A will be 400 which is as follows: A(100)+C(100)+D(100)+H(100) = 400

Remember the catch is that for A and B we need to calculate the cumulative point and not the commission point (which will be 300).

Extremely sorry for a late reply and for the distorted tree, am not very good at posting pictures on gmatclub.

Please let me know if you need any more clarity. Hope it helps.

Regards,
Abhishek

That's nice explanation Abhishek.

-Shalabh

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Re: A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM) [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 21:11
Expert's post
Maryam787 wrote:
abikumar wrote:
2. viceversa.

So,

i have got the minimum value equalet to 200,,,,but can't figure out the maximum value, which in my case is 600,,,can u plz help me out in simple explanation,,,thank u in anticipation,,,,

Hi Maryam,

Pl. see this image. Hope it helps.

-Shalabh

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM) [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 23:21
Hi Egmat,

I have a small doubt regarding Max value i got 600 as the max value

I have drawn a tree some thing like

--------------A--------------
----B----- ----C--------
-----D---- -- -E-F-G-H-----
-----I----

in the above case we get 900-300=600, may i know how you ruled out the above case?

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Re: A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM) [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 01:49
Expert's post
mydreammba wrote:
Hi Egmat,

----B----- ----C--------
-----I----

in the above case we get 900-300=600, may i know how you ruled out the above case?

Hi,

Pl. read the 4th line of the dataset/question narration. It says... The associate's 'Commission Points' equals 'Cumulative Points' of associate's group less Maximum 'Cumulative Points' generated by any of the associates directly under him.

As per your arrangement, A's (Pat) commission Points = A's Cumulative points - C's Cumulative points, since between B & C; C (500) has more points than B. The condition says choose maximum of the two, so we have to choose C rather than B. You have deducted B's cumulative points (300) in the calculation.

Hope you get it right.

-Shalabh

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM) [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 02:40
egmat wrote:
mydreammba wrote:
Hi Egmat,

----B----- ----C--------
-----I----

Hi,

Pl. read the 4th line of the dataset/question narration. It says... The associate's 'Commission Points' equals 'Cumulative Points' of associate's group less Maximum 'Cumulative Points' generated by any of the associates directly under him.

As per your arrangement, A's (Pat) commission Points = A's Cumulative points - C's Cumulative points, since between B & C; C (500) has more points than B. The condition says choose maximum of the two, so we have to choose C rather than B. You have deducted B's cumulative points (300) in the calculation.

Hope you get it right.

-Shalabh

Thanks shalabh Now i get it, i guess i need to improve my reading skills

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Re: A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM) [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 05:53
Expert's post
mydreammba wrote:
egmat wrote:
mydreammba wrote:
Hi Egmat,

----B----- ----C--------
-----I----

Hi,

Hope you get it right.

-Shalabh

Thanks shalabh Now i get it, i guess i need to improve my reading skills

Thank you!

Pl. view this video on RC by Ms. Shraddha Jaiswal- 1 M user on GC contest winner. Hope this helps improve your reading skills. http://www.facebook.com/gmatclubforum?s ... TUNQRK1gIA

-Shalabh

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM) [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 23:34
So many words :lol:
Maximum = 500
Minimum = 200
Re: A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM)   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2013, 23:34