Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 08:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 22
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 8

A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 04:00
2
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

24% (03:04) correct 75% (02:06) wrong based on 385 sessions
A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented a business strategy to encourage sales by creating a product that could be legally sold over the counter, without the need for a prescription from a veterinarian. The product was a collar for cats intended as a repellent against fleas that, through biting the host animal's epidermis, would die after ingesting some of its blood. Despite the advantage of not having to consult a veterinarian in order to buy one, the collar was not successful commercially.

Which of the following, if true, does the most to explain why the manufacturer's strategy failed to achieve its objective?

    A) Although the collar was only to be worn externally, its chemical components, through constant contact with the animal's skin, would be absorbed into the bloodstream, not only killing newly-attached fleas, but also ceasing the reproductive cycle of already present fleas and eggs.

    B) It has been proven that pet products with recommendations made by veterinarians printed on their packaging sell far more successfully than those that do not have such recommendations printed on their packaging.

    C) The sales of flea collars and other repellents used to maintain pet health are greatly affected by the changes of season, usually very low during the winter and autumn months of the year, rising with the beginning of spring.

    D) To be able to sell non-prescription products with active ingredients such as propuxer, the chemical used in anti-pest products, legislation requires that manufacturers limit the presence of the active ingredient.

    E) Consultation with a professional veterinarian is always advisable when confronting an issue regarding an animal's health since even someone with a fair amount of medical knowledge may not be aware of illnesses or ailments associated with a specific animal.

Source: gmat.babson.edu
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Working & 1st GMAT 750
Joined: 01 Dec 2012
Posts: 85
Location: United States (OH)
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [4] , given: 57

Re: A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 05:33
4
This post received
KUDOS
Wonderful question, thank you!

I initially fell for Option E (also had given consideration to B) but option D is the right one IMHO.

The lack/limiting of the active ingredient (because it a non-prescription product) would affect its performance as a flea-killer & logically perform worse than prescribed products, leading to lower sales.
_________________

Regards,
Vishnu

Article --> http://www.topmba.com/blog/could-mba-de ... ay-forward

4 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1577
Followers: 1064

Kudos [?]: 2541 [4] , given: 164

GMAT Tests User
Re: A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 10:02
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shailendrasharma wrote:
A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented a business strategy to encourage sales by creating a product that could be legally sold over the counter, without the need for a prescription from a veterinarian. The product was a collar for cats intended as a repellent against fleas that, through biting the host animal's epidermis, would die after ingesting some of its blood. Despite the advantage of not having to consult a veterinarian in order to buy one, the collar was not successful commercially.

Which of the following, if true, does the most to explain why the manufacturer's strategy failed to achieve its objective?

    A) Although the collar was only to be worn externally, its chemical components, through constant contact with the animal's skin, would be absorbed into the bloodstream, not only killing newly-attached fleas, but also ceasing the reproductive cycle of already present fleas and eggs.

    B) It has been proven that pet products with recommendations made by veterinarians printed on their packaging sell far more successfully than those that do not have such recommendations printed on their packaging.

    C) The sales of flea collars and other repellents used to maintain pet health are greatly affected by the changes of season, usually very low during the winter and autumn months of the year, rising with the beginning of spring.

    D) To be able to sell non-prescription products with active ingredients such as propuxer, the chemical used in anti-pest products, legislation requires that manufacturers limit the presence of the active ingredient.

    E) Consultation with a professional veterinarian is always advisable when confronting an issue regarding an animal's health since even someone with a fair amount of medical knowledge may not be aware of illnesses or ailments associated with a specific animal.

Source: gmat.babson.edu


Responding to a PM

Option B is incorrect because printing recommendations on packaging is different from requirement of prescriptions. Option B is actually out of scope. Just because a vet product does not require prescription before use, it does not mean that it cannot be recommended by vets. For example: there are many medicines available over the counter, which are recommended by the doctors. So, whether pet products recommended by vets are more successful or not does not affect the argument.

Option D is correct for the reason stated by Vishnu above. However, this option is also not GMAT like. The clarity that I find in correct GMAT options is not at all there in this option statement. Are fleas considered pests? Does limiting the active ingredient affect the performance of the product? These are important questions but unanswered.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
_________________

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 185
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 103

Re: A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 21:11
shailendrasharma wrote:
A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented a business strategy to encourage sales by creating a product that could be legally sold over the counter, without the need for a prescription from a veterinarian. The product was a collar for cats intended as a repellent against fleas that, through biting the host animal's epidermis, would die after ingesting some of its blood. Despite the advantage of not having to consult a veterinarian in order to buy one, the collar was not successful commercially.

Which of the following, if true, does the most to explain why the manufacturer's strategy failed to achieve its objective?

    A) Although the collar was only to be worn externally, its chemical components, through constant contact with the animal's skin, would be absorbed into the bloodstream, not only killing newly-attached fleas, but also ceasing the reproductive cycle of already present fleas and eggs.

    B) It has been proven that pet products with recommendations made by veterinarians printed on their packaging sell far more successfully than those that do not have such recommendations printed on their packaging.

    C) The sales of flea collars and other repellents used to maintain pet health are greatly affected by the changes of season, usually very low during the winter and autumn months of the year, rising with the beginning of spring.

    D) To be able to sell non-prescription products with active ingredients such as propuxer, the chemical used in anti-pest products, legislation requires that manufacturers limit the presence of the active ingredient.

    E) Consultation with a professional veterinarian is always advisable when confronting an issue regarding an animal's health since even someone with a fair amount of medical knowledge may not be aware of illnesses or ailments associated with a specific animal.

Source: gmat.babson.edu



I doubt D can be correct ans. As per D

D) To be able to sell non-prescription products with active ingredients such as propuxer, the chemical used in anti-pest products, legislation requires that manufacturers limit the presence of the active ingredient.

If to sell legislation requires to limit the ingredient , then he must have already done that , otherwise how could he sell any of the products.
So it is not explaining why the manufacturer's strategy failed to achieve its objective
_________________

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Intern
Intern
Joined: 18 Apr 2012
Posts: 9
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Re: A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 03:09
Option C i.e. "Sales of flea collars and other repellents used to maintain pet health are greatly affected by the changes of season, usually very low during the winter and autumn months of the year, rising with the beginning of spring" does seem to suggest a reason for low sales. Could you please explain why not option C ?
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1125
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 92

Kudos [?]: 1000 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 03:16
sreekanthssn wrote:
Option C i.e. "Sales of flea collars and other repellents used to maintain pet health are greatly affected by the changes of season, usually very low during the winter and autumn months of the year, rising with the beginning of spring" does seem to suggest a reason for low sales. Could you please explain why not option C ?


C suggests that sales are affected by the seasons.

C) The sales of flea collars and other repellents used to maintain pet health are greatly affected by the changes of season, usually very low during the winter and autumn months of the year, rising with the beginning of spring

This does not explain why the sales OVER THE YEAR were low. Even if in winter they could have sold less collars than in spring, the sales number overall could still be very high (as long as winter<spring).

Hope I've explained myself well
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Neeley Thread Master
Status: Prep Mode
Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 165
Location: India
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 69

Reviews Badge
Re: A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 06:53
BukrsGmat wrote:
I doubt D can be correct ans. As per D

D) To be able to sell non-prescription products with active ingredients such as propuxer, the chemical used in anti-pest products, legislation requires that manufacturers limit the presence of the active ingredient.

If to sell legislation requires to limit the ingredient , then he must have already done that , otherwise how could he sell any of the products.
So it is not explaining why the manufacturer's strategy failed to achieve its objective


Let me try. I would say choice D is the best that would explain why the strategy failed to meet its objective.

Think this way, the practitioner followed the legislation (as you mentioned),but still the plan failed. He failed to anticipate that the active chemical ingredient he is using wouldn't last forever and would lose its intended effect against other products in the market. There was a flaw in his approach because if the legislation itself limits the active ingredient, then he should have given a thought that limited quantity won't last longer.But, he still went on with this plan and the whole project failed.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Status: Persevering
Joined: 15 May 2013
Posts: 220
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2013, 05:31
Gian wrote:
BukrsGmat wrote:
I doubt D can be correct ans. As per D

D) To be able to sell non-prescription products with active ingredients such as propuxer, the chemical used in anti-pest products, legislation requires that manufacturers limit the presence of the active ingredient.

If to sell legislation requires to limit the ingredient , then he must have already done that , otherwise how could he sell any of the products.
So it is not explaining why the manufacturer's strategy failed to achieve its objective


Let me try. I would say choice D is the best that would explain why the strategy failed to meet its objective.

Think this way, the practitioner followed the legislation (as you mentioned),but still the plan failed. He failed to anticipate that the active chemical ingredient he is using wouldn't last forever and would lose its intended effect against other products in the market. There was a flaw in his approach because if the legislation itself limits the active ingredient, then he should have given a thought that limited quantity won't last longer.But, he still went on with this plan and the whole project failed.

Hope it helps.



D because the quantity itself is limited as compared to the other products, hence the collar tends to be less effective than other such products.
_________________

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2012
Posts: 368
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 291

Re: A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 04:11
Took 4 minutes, but finally got it right. Wonder if I can afford such luxury on the day of the xam :(
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Nov 2013
Posts: 62
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 21:40
Well, there is a problem with option D

the options D is "To be able to sell non-prescription products with active ingredients such as propuxer, the chemical used in anti-pest products, legislation requires that manufacturers limit the presence of the active ingredient.

The problem with option D is that the mentioned limited ingredient can't not be concluded as below required level as it might be limited to what is require but not in access.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 359
Location: India
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 8

Re: A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 23:06
shailendrasharma wrote:
A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented a business strategy to encourage sales by creating a product that could be legally sold over the counter, without the need for a prescription from a veterinarian. The product was a collar for cats intended as a repellent against fleas that, through biting the host animal's epidermis, would die after ingesting some of its blood. Despite the advantage of not having to consult a veterinarian in order to buy one, the collar was not successful commercially.

Which of the following, if true, does the most to explain why the manufacturer's strategy failed to achieve its objective?

    A) Although the collar was only to be worn externally, its chemical components, through constant contact with the animal's skin, would be absorbed into the bloodstream, not only killing newly-attached fleas, but also ceasing the reproductive cycle of already present fleas and eggs.

    B) It has been proven that pet products with recommendations made by veterinarians printed on their packaging sell far more successfully than those that do not have such recommendations printed on their packaging.

    C) The sales of flea collars and other repellents used to maintain pet health are greatly affected by the changes of season, usually very low during the winter and autumn months of the year, rising with the beginning of spring.

    D) To be able to sell non-prescription products with active ingredients such as propuxer, the chemical used in anti-pest products, legislation requires that manufacturers limit the presence of the active ingredient.

    E) Consultation with a professional veterinarian is always advisable when confronting an issue regarding an animal's health since even someone with a fair amount of medical knowledge may not be aware of illnesses or ailments associated with a specific animal.

Source: gmat.babson.edu


We can treat this as a strengthen question for why the product failed.

Choice D does the best to explain why the product failed because even though we may not be sure that the performance decreased, we can say that decrease in performance is a definite possibility.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
sravna@gmail.com

Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com
Online courses and 1-on-1 Online Tutoring for the GMAT and the GRE

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Student
Joined: 26 Aug 2013
Posts: 262
Location: France
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 397

Re: A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 14:21
Finally chose E...

Does not see clearly why D is wrong.. There is a lot of flaws in those questions...

Consultation with a professional veterinarian is always advisable when confronting an issue regarding an animal's health since even someone with a fair amount of medical knowledge may not be aware of illnesses or ailments associated with a specific animal. ==> Meaning for me that the advantage to buy something without seeing a veterinarian is flawed, because you will still need to see him at one point...

Strange question
_________________

Think outside the box

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 03 May 2013
Posts: 295
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 35

CAT Tests
Re: A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 18:40
PREMISES 1. THERE IS A business strategy to encourage sales by creating a product sold over the counter, without the need for a prescription.

2. The product was a collar for cats intended as a repellent against fleas that, through biting the host animal's epidermis, would die after ingesting some of its blood.

COUNTER PREMISE- Advantage of not having to consult a veterinarian in order to buy one

CONCLUSION- The collar was not successful commercially.


A) Although the collar was only to be worn externally, its chemical components, through constant contact with the animal's skin, would be absorbed into the bloodstream, not only killing newly-attached fleas, but also ceasing the reproductive cycle of already present fleas and eggs......SO THIS ONLY ACCRUES BENEFIT,... WHY FAILED?

B) It has been proven that pet products with recommendations made by veterinarians printed on their packaging sell far more successfully than those that do not have such recommendations printed on their packaging........RECOMMENDATION ON PACKAGING IS NOT A PRESCRIPTION...MOREOVER WE DON'T KNOW IF THE ONE SOLD HAS THIS RECOMMENDATION OR NOT

C) The sales of flea collars and other repellents used to maintain pet health are greatly affected by the changes of season, usually very low during the winter and autumn months of the year, rising with the beginning of spring.....SEASONAL VARIATION HAS NOT BEEN DESCRIBED

D) To be able to sell non-prescription products with active ingredients such as propuxer, the chemical used in anti-pest products, legislation requires that manufacturers limit the presence of the active ingredient......MEANS IT MAY NOT BE AS EFFECTIVE AS A PRESCRIPTION MEDICINE ....HENCE MAY NOT BE SOLD AS MUCH..............CORRECT

E) Consultation with a professional veterinarian is always advisable when confronting an issue regarding an animal's health since even someone with a fair amount of medical knowledge may not be aware of illnesses or ailments associated with a specific animal....WHAT ONE MUST DO IS IRRELEVANT...WE ARE WORRIED ABOUT THE DISCREPANCY IN THE RESULTS OF A NEW BUSINESS STRATEGY...

IMO... ANSWER = "D"............
Re: A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2014, 18:40
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Popular new posts Pharmaceutical ads ssap 12 22 Jul 2005, 07:02
Popular new posts 15 Experts publish their posts in the topic Recently implemented skim 36 04 Jun 2009, 19:29
New posts 3 Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical harshap 7 23 Apr 2012, 19:58
Popular new posts 4 Experts publish their posts in the topic Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical Marcab 12 19 Nov 2012, 08:52
New posts veterinary services wellpetsuk 0 07 Aug 2013, 01:33
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer implemented

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.