Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 09:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A victory of sorts 730 (Second attempt)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 10

A victory of sorts 730 (Second attempt) [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 11:38
This post received
KUDOS
First, I have been a long time lurker at GMATClub, so I owe a lot of my motivation to the site and the incredible people on here.

Tests I took:
MGMAT 600 (took cold, with not much of an idea of what the test was like)
Kaplan 670 (Found out after that the Kaplan tests are considered more difficult and to add 30-50 points to your score, not sure how true it is, but seems to indicate it is fairly on point.
GMATPrep 1 710
1st attempt 690
GMATPrep 2 720
GMATPrep 1 (reset) 720
2nd attempt 730

Materials used:
Nova GMAT Prep - I highly recommend skipping this, I got it on a GroupOn, definitely not worth it.
OG 13 - Critical for anyone wanting to do well
Quant was a weakness so I also used:
Bob Miller's Math for the GMAT - If you don't have a quant background (I studied International Relations), I HIGHLY recommend this book!
Princeton Review Math Workout for the New GMAT - Meh. It helped by think if I had it to do over again I'd have used the MGMAT books.

I took the GMAT for the first time just under 5 weeks ago, on the GMAT prep I scored 710 three days before the exam, and as 710 was my target, I was feeling pretty good...then came the test.

I breezed right through AWA and IR. I took the optional break feeling invincible...then came quant. I got stuck on a number of questions and ended up committing the cardinal sin of forcing the issue, which resulted in major timing issues (spent 4 mins each on two questions) and forced me to guess on the last 10 or so. Not good. My quant was always weaker than my verbal so I regrouped and blazed through the verbal. My scored flashed up on my screen, 690, with a horrendous 42Q. I later found out on the bright side I scored an 8.0/8.0 on IR and a 6.0/6.0 on AWA.

I immediately came home and rescheduled my exam day for today, just over 30 days away. In that time I focused on word problems and DS as well as improving my SC. I also interviewed at Tuck and had to travel for work, so I was sneaking hours when and where I could.

Today I got up early stretched, ate a good sized protein heavy breakfast along with a cup of coffee. I arrived at the test center early and got the seat right next to where I sat my first trip through.

AWA and IR sped by and then came quant, I struggled a bit and had a few 50-50 questions. After my last break I went into verbal, which seemed significantly more difficult than during my previous attempt. My score finally flashed onto the screen and I definitely did a bit of a fist pump with a 730 overall and 8.0 IR (they now include IR in your immediate score).

Thanks again to everyone, happy to answer any questions!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: A victory of sorts 730 (Second attempt) [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 17:03
Flyte wrote:

Congrats on beating the GMAT :!: I just wanted to ask how you improved your timing for the second attempt. Also, what was the breakdown for the two test? And how many times do you think someone could retake the official GMAT prep tests before they are not helpful anymore?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q V0

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 10

Re: A victory of sorts 730 (Second attempt) [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 10:41
gmathopeful25 wrote:
Flyte wrote:

Congrats on beating the GMAT :!: I just wanted to ask how you improved your timing for the second attempt. Also, what was the breakdown for the two test? And how many times do you think someone could retake the official GMAT prep tests before they are not helpful anymore?

Thank you!

Timing -wise, I literally did every practice problem with a stopwatch which significantly helped. My breakdowns were:

1st test: 690 (42Q, 41V)
2nd test: 730 (44Q, 46V)

My quant was disappointing as I hit as high as 48Q in practice exams, but I think (read: hope) that my overall 730 should be okay. Additionally, I am enrolling in a couple of online math courses and previously did courses in Financial and Managerial Accounting for a previous professional qualification at work (CIMA), so I am hoping this counterbalances the lowish quant score.

Anyone have any thoughts on how hard and fast the 80 percentile rule for quant is? I am coming from a government role that doesn't require much in-depth quant...
Re: A victory of sorts 730 (Second attempt)   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2013, 10:41