Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [38]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [28]
Given Kudos: 872
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [7]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1622 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: A violin constructed to have improved sound would sound different from [#permalink]
At first look it seemed D to me also. But I'd pick on E (maybe I'm reading too much into this :) )
here's why E...

It looks well connected.
New improved violins have different sounds -> professional violins don't accept different sounds and they are the only accepted judges -> so new improved violins cannot be created.

BUT on re-reading the first sentence, "Violin constructed to have improved sound"... is there a possibility that the violin is not constructed to have improved sound, but designed to please the professional judges?
On this basis I chose E over D (all the other options are stricken out).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A violin constructed to have improved sound would sound different from [#permalink]
My Answer would be D
E is our because it mentions
1) Violin constructed would have a better sound but we know that it only sounds differently
2) We do not know if people other than professionals like the sound of constructed violin or not.
OA please.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1691 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
OA is D......

the question is from 1000 CR

Infact somebody mentioned that D is too extreme...to which i don't agree
In option E its mentioned that It is possible to construct a violin that sounds better than the best-sounding existing violins to everyone but professional violinists..
this is too extreme as an assumtion as the author already mentions that "Professional violinists are the only accepted judges of the sound quality of violins". Since the target audience are professional violinists, we can't assume that it is possible to construct a violin that sounds better than exisitng violins to everyone.

I hope i am clear with my explanation
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1248 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
A violin constructed to have improved sound would sound different from the best-sounding existing violins.
To professional violinists, a violin that sounds different from the best-sounding existing violins sounds less like a violin and therefore worse than the best-sounding existing violins.
Professional violinists are the only accepted judges of the sound quality of violins.
Would be the best supported by those statements?
(A) Only amateur violinists should be asked to judge the sound quality of newly constructed violins.
(B) Professional violinists supervise the construction of violins.
(C) The best-sounding existing violins have been in existence fro several centuries.
(D) It is currently impossible to construct a violin that the only accepted judges will evaluate as having improved sound.
(E) It is possible to construct a violin that sounds better than the best-sounding existing violins to everyone but professional violinists.

E is out of scope. As it goes beyond to suggest what would sound better to 'everyone'. We have no info on non-professionals
D correctly limits the scope to the discussion and fits the info

Hence D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1172 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
The answer is D, as E goes beyond the scope of the stimulus, it suggests something which is not indicated in the stimulus. This is a must be true question, so we have to go by whatever is given in the stimulus.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
IMO OA is D

(A) Only amateur violinists should be asked to judge the sound quality of newly constructed violins.
-> incorrect. Professinal violinists can judge that.
(B) Professional violinists supervise the construction of violins.
-> incorrect. Although professional violinists can judge the quality, we cannot assure that they supervise the manufacturing.
(C) The best-sounding existing violins have been in existence fro several centuries.
-> No information
(D) It is currently impossible to construct a violin that the only accepted judges will evaluate as having improved sound.
-> correct.
The passage mentions that only professional violinist can judge the sound, and they think constructed violin sound is not similar to best-sounding existing violin's.
(E) It is possible to construct a violin that sounds better than the best-sounding existing violins to everyone but professional violinists.
-> incorrect. The passage already argues that it is not possible.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 696
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Here's the thing about the accepted judges - for these judges, any new violin can only be as good as existing violins, or be worse off.

I think the key here is to see that the professional violinists, who are the sole qualified judges of a newly constructed violin, would always use the benchmark of the best sounding existing violins for gauging new violins.

We are also told that so long as the new violins sound DIFFERENT, the new violins are deemed by the judges as worse off. Technically, a new violin that is constructed could actually sound worse off, or actually sound BETTER.

But, for any new violin that sounds DIFFERENT from the existing violins, the professional violinists will strike it off as 'worse off'.

Hence, D must be the answer because there is no way to construct something that's actually better than the existing violins and also qualified by the accepted judges as better than the best existing violins.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts