Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 12:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A visa for an extra family member.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A visa for an extra family member. [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 06:46
Guys (and gals), I need your advice on the following: when my family and I move to the U.S., I want my mother in law to come with us, so that at least during the first few weeks she helps my wife and daughter to settle in and get comfy with their new life away from home. What would you say, is there any chance to get us our visas together? Obviously I will be getting an F-1, my wife - F-2. But what about my mother-in-law? She won't be able to get an F-2, right?
Any insight will be much appreciated! Right now I'm lost :stupid
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A visa for an extra family member. [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 06:56
I think she would have to come over here on a tourist visa and I do not think that she will be eligible for an F2.

helg wrote:
Guys (and gals), I need your advice on the following: when my family and I move to the U.S., I want my mother in law to come with us, so that at least during the first few weeks she helps my wife and daughter to settle in and get comfy with their new life away from home. What would you say, is there any chance to get us our visas together? Obviously I will be getting an F-1, my wife - F-2. But what about my mother-in-law? She won't be able to get an F-2, right?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: A visa for an extra family member. [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 07:11
helg wrote:

Helg, you would need to add your mother-in-law to the I-20 application as a family member, and if she gets a visa, she will most probably get an F-2.

Rukuku.com–Interactive Online Courses
http://www.rukuku.com

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: A visa for an extra family member. [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 07:21
xerox wrote:

Helg, you would need to add your mother-in-law to the I-20 application as a family member, and if she gets a visa, she will most probably get an F-2.

Thanks, xerox!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: A visa for an extra family member. [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 08:44
Helg,

I recommend you check about the I-20 advice before making plans. If that were true, it would be very easy for entire families to migrate to the US. I beleive USCIS defines dependents as spouse or child (unmarried and under the age of 21). Chicago is a great school, good luck!

Your mother-in-law will have to file for a visitor visa. I will recommend that you show that your MIL is visiting you (which is possible only after you arrive here) or some other family member of yours in the US. Cases where an older lady/man file for a visitor visa saying that they wish to tour the US alone are mostly rejected. Even if she gets a 10 year visitor visa (which is pretty normal) she cannot stay in the US for more than 6 months at a time. She will have to go out of the country atleast for a day before reentering. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Iwannabe on 04 Apr 2008, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: A visa for an extra family member. [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 08:52
Iwannabe wrote:
Helg,

I recommend you check about the I-20 advice before making plans. If that were true, it would be very easy for entire families to migrate to the US. I beleive USCIS defines dependents as spouse or child (unmarried and under the age of 21). Chicago is a great school, good luck!

Thank you, Iwannabe. I made an inquiry with the Office of International Affairs of UoC. Yeah, Chicago is a fantastic school ;)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A visa for an extra family member. [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 17:43
iwannabe,
u say that a person on a visitor visa has to go out of the country for atleast a day. Will going to canada suffice and if the person keeps going out for just a day and keeps coming back will they let that person stay for another 6 months or will that be cut short to say 2 months.

helg,
I have the same problem as you have because I want my Mom to come along to the US. The good thing is that she already has a visitor visa. I think that dependant is defined as a spouse or a child and no one else so your mother in law will need to get a visitor visa. How difficult is it to get a dependant visa for the spouse!!!
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: A visa for an extra family member. [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2008, 00:54
700willdo wrote:
How difficult is it to get a dependant visa for the spouse!!!

I think, not very difficult. As long as you get an F-1, she/he will get the F-2 almost automatically. Does your experience differ in this?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: A visa for an extra family member. [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2008, 01:27
helg wrote:
700willdo wrote:
How difficult is it to get a dependant visa for the spouse!!!

I think, not very difficult. As long as you get an F-1, she/he will get the F-2 almost automatically. Does your experience differ in this?

helg, I think it is different from country to country. For me coming from a small country, the consulate out here is very weary about sending people to the US. Many people have advised me differently. Some say that I shouldnt have a problem and some advise me to first go to the US alone and get my wife to apply after a few months. Where are you from
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: A visa for an extra family member. [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2008, 18:24
This post received
KUDOS
700willdo,
First of all, you can file for an extension of another 6 months after the first 6 months have expired while your mom stays in the US. But, it is not recommended that you do that if you want to keep her chances of reentering on the next trip high. Stepping into Canada and returning the next day is legal. However, I should have also pointed out that a continued pattern will lead to you being eventually denied entry into the US. Remember, the visa could be for 1,2,5,10 years but the officer at the port of entry decides whether you can enter and how long you can stay (which currently stands at 6 months). That said, if he feels that you are practically living in the US, he will in all probability deny you as it somewhat equates to abuse of the visa.

Helg & 700willdo,
I don't think there is any difference in applying for your spouse's visa along with you or after you. However, if the embassy in your country is weary or if your country is on the US 'watchlist' and you are ok with living apart for a few months, applying for your spouse's visa later is a risk-free option. They could reject you both if you apply together, however, once you are approved and living in the US they don't have a reason to keep your spouse away from you. If you do not belong to the country I described above, the main reason for denial that I can think of is finances. Get that right and you should be fine applying at the same time.

Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: A visa for an extra family member. [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 00:33
hey iwannabe,
first of let me tell you that your posts have been extremely helpful and I am very thankful for your posts.
you seem to be quite an expert on this matter so I will ask another question. I am going to Seattle for MBA and I have my family there in the shape of my sister, brother in law and my brother. I intend to stay at their home for the duration of my studies so that way I will incur no living and fooding expenses. I am curious whether I should be forthright at the embassy about this. Many people have advised me not to tell the embassy people about this situation and just show them proof of finances that I will be able to incur the living and the fooding expenses for me and my wife as well.
Just a few months back we were rejected a tourist visa on the grounds that they felt I had no reason to return back home as I already have family there. I have been admitted to UW with a 50% scholarship. What will you advise on my situation???
Intern
Intern

Re: A visa for an extra family member. [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 07:30
700willdo, Glad to be of help.

You should rule out all ifs and buts and show independence in every aspect, especially finances. While it's a certainty that your family will provide for you, the consulate will have reservations about the two of you depending on family through the two-year program. Basically, it's not worth the risk. Go ahead and show them that you can take care of your own living and boarding expenses.

Since you have recently been denied a visa, there is a red flag to your name. Don't bring up your family during the interview unless you're asked to. And absolutely don't try to lie. The DS-156 specifically asks if you have family in the US/their status and if you ever applied/received/rejected a US visa before.

Good luck!
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: A visa for an extra family member. [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2008, 21:40
If anyone is interested, here's the reply from the Uni's Office of International Affairs:

Quote:
only immediate family members (spouse and children) can qualify for dependent status, so you wont’ be able to get an I-20 and F-2 status for your mother-in-law. She will have to apply for another visa, such as a tourist visa
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: A visa for an extra family member. [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2008, 06:56
Iwannabe,

Just another question. The annual tuition fees for my MBA studies is 32000. I have a 50% scholarship and the school has asked me to budget for 10000 extra other than the tuition. I have also done a little research and found out that living expenses for me and my spouse will be around 15000 annually. So in total, I need to finance around 41000. Now the question is what is the best way to convince the visa people about my ability to finance the expenses.
I am thinking of depositing the equivalent of $50000 in a 3 month fixed deposit account which will mature just before the start of my MBA program. Will that convince the visa people or do I have to show them my bank accounts in the last few months or something like that?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated and thankx in advance
Intern
Intern

Re: A visa for an extra family member. [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 08:37
700willdo,

Apologize for the late reply, was out of town. I think you're good with any of those two options. Seems like you've covered your bases. Although there is not much to choose between them, I have leaned more towards showing bank statements over a few months.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: A visa for an extra family member. [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 18:18
hey iwannabe,
thanx for the info and believe me it is very reassuring :)
Re: A visa for an extra family member.   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2008, 18:18