Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A weak currency prompts companies that export to country X

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
A weak currency prompts companies that export to country X [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 00:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

99% (01:23) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 7 sessions
A weak currency prompts companies that export to country X to raise prices, making it more difficult for
country X consumers to afford imported Asian and European products, regions that rely heavily on exports
as engines of economic growth

A. imported Asian and European products, regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growth
B. product imports from Asia and Europe, regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growing
C. products imported from Asia and Europe, where regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growth
D. Asian and European product imports, regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growing
E. products imported from Asia and Europe, regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growth

Regards.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
after discussions

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 31

Re: A weak currency prompts companies that export to country X [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 01:10
A. imported Asian and European products, regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growth: Incorrect. Regions has no antecedent.
B. product imports from Asia and Europe, regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growing. Incorrect. "Imports" should be "imported" and "economic growing" should be "economic growth".
C. products imported from Asia and Europe, where regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growth: Incorrect. Fragment issue.
D. Asian and European product imports, regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growing: Incorrect. same error as A.
E. products imported from Asia and Europe, regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growth. Correct.
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 564 [1] , given: 111

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: A weak currency prompts companies that export to country X [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 01:17
This post received
KUDOS
A weak currency prompts companies that export to country X to raise prices, making it more difficult for
country X consumers to afford imported Asian and European products, regions that rely heavily on exports

A. imported Asian and European products, regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growth. Modifier wrongly modifies "products".
B. product imports from Asia and Europe, regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growing. Distorts meaning. Means to say the consumers cannot afford importing the products.
C. products imported from Asia and Europe, where regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growth. Non sensical. Poor grammar. Does not make any sense.
D. Asian and European product imports, regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growingModifier wrongly modifies "imports".
E. products imported from Asia and Europe, regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growth. Correct

Answer should be E.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: A weak currency prompts companies that export to country X [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 01:40
clearly, there is a difference between
(i)" imported Asian and European products, regions that..." and
(ii) "products imported from Asia and Europe, regions that..."
While "imported Asian and European" modify "products", they do not indicate places or "regions"

But in (ii) the object of prep (from Asia and Europe) refer to location, place, or "region"

Grammatically speaking, what is wrong with the expression below?
"making it more difficult for country X consumers to afford imported Asian and European products

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 564 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: A weak currency prompts companies that export to country X [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 01:57
gmatbull wrote:
clearly, there is a difference between
(i)" imported Asian and European products, regions that..." and
(ii) "products imported from Asia and Europe, regions that..."
While "imported Asian and European" modify "products", they do not indicate places or "regions"

But in (ii) the object of prep (from Asia and Europe) refer to location, place, or "region"

Grammatically speaking, what is wrong with the expression below?
"making it more difficult for country X consumers to afford imported Asian and European products

IMHO There would be nothing wrong if the sentence ended with that. It is the modifier after that which makes the sentence wrong.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 331 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A weak currency prompts companies that export to country X [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 02:11
gmatbull wrote:

A. imported Asian and European products, regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growth
B. product imports from Asia and Europe, regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growing
C. products imported from Asia and Europe, where regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growth
D. Asian and European product imports, regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growing
E. products imported from Asia and Europe, regions that rely heavily on exports as engines of economic growth

Regards.
OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
after discussions

original sentence has a modifier problem. same problem is in D.
C has one stupid 'where' added in between.
B ends with incorrect 'growing'.

Ans E it is!
E

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 1171 [0], given: 244

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A weak currency prompts companies that export to country X [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 10:39
Expert's post
There is a possibility to misconstrue that Asia and Europe re themselves imported countries, because imported may be mistaken to modify Asian and European rather than products. This is a possibility, though vey illogical. After all, who will import Asia and Europe?
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Wharton '17
GPA: 3.5
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 177

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: A weak currency prompts companies that export to country X [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 06:51
gmatbull wrote:

Regards.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
after discussions

First, misplaced modifier

regions must modify Asia and Europe so only B and E stay
Engines of economic growing is just nasty

So E is the right choice

Cheers
J :)
Re: A weak currency prompts companies that export to country X   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2014, 06:51