Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 15:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A Week Before The Test - GMAT Prep Scores Are Abysmal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

A Week Before The Test - GMAT Prep Scores Are Abysmal [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 15:44
The program I'm currently looking at recommends a GMAT score of 600 which sounded very attainable when I started studying a month and a half ago. For the past month and a half I've spent my time 75% on quant (I'm very weak here), 25% on verbal but after taking the two practice quizzes in the GMAT software, both of my scores are in the 470-490 range. My last practice test was a Q27 (missed 5 of the last 5, not for lack of trying or wanting to be done), V31 for a 490.

At this point, I'm just dumbfounded and feel like I've accomplished nothing with my studying. At this point do I just keep reviewing my OG guide or is there any other general strategies to help cope with such a low scores.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: A Week Before The Test - GMAT Prep Scores Are Abysmal [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 20:43
Hi,

I am not sure of your exam dates.

Based on what you are saying, I believe the only source you been referring to is OG for your studies.

IMO, OG should be used only for practice questions and not as guide on strategies or for formulas. You should take help of some standard guides that will help you in this regard.

I would suggest Manhattan GMAT strategy guides.

There are lot of articles on this forum on what good books to refer to. The below link is a good starting point.

best-gmat-books-118706.html?fl=menu

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1075

Kudos [?]: 4788 [0], given: 163

Re: A Week Before The Test - GMAT Prep Scores Are Abysmal [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 21:40
Expert's post
RyanP wrote:
The program I'm currently looking at recommends a GMAT score of 600 which sounded very attainable when I started studying a month and a half ago. For the past month and a half I've spent my time 75% on quant (I'm very weak here), 25% on verbal but after taking the two practice quizzes in the GMAT software, both of my scores are in the 470-490 range. My last practice test was a Q27 (missed 5 of the last 5, not for lack of trying or wanting to be done), V31 for a 490.

At this point, I'm just dumbfounded and feel like I've accomplished nothing with my studying. At this point do I just keep reviewing my OG guide or is there any other general strategies to help cope with such a low scores.

First of all, you might want to shift your test date. It is not very probable that you will get a 600 in the actual GMAT after a 480 average in GMAT prep tests. You may not want to have a low score on your record.
Secondly, going up from 480 to 600 is not tough at all. You need to go through the entire theory related to GMAT once. You can do that by picking up the test prep material of any one of the test prep companies. e.g. Veritas has 15 books covering everything from Math essentials to advanced word problems, basic CR to advanced CR, theory related to RC along with tons of practice passages, Grammar fundamentals and SC strategies, AWA templates etc. It will take you about a month and a half to go through all available resources (including practice assignments, tests, on demand lectures). Once you are done, you should see a major improvement in your score. OGs are only for practice questions; they do not give you much theory of the relevant concepts.
Another option you can use is a full classroom course which lasts for 7 weeks (or an online course), if finances permit. You would benefit a lot from either one. Going up to 650 is pretty do-able for most people who are willing to put in the time and effort.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: A Week Before The Test - GMAT Prep Scores Are Abysmal   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2012, 21:40