Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 07:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A Week left for Gmat. Help needed to improve score & timing!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

A Week left for Gmat. Help needed to improve score & timing! [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 12:03
Hi Guys,

This is my first post on the gmatclub. I have been preparing for GMAT on and off for around 2 months. Being from engineering background in India, i find quant easier than the verbal. I have studied just OG and nothing else... :cry: I gave the practice tests at regular intervals and below are the scores. My main problem is running out of time which also happened in the last mock test where i scored a 660. I guessed last 4 quant and last 2 verbal questions in that test. Also in IR i run out of time and find that section difficult.

My Scores:
=========
GMAT Prep 1 => 480(Gave without any preparation, ran out of time badly)
Veritas Prep => 620
Manhattan practice test => 580
GMAT Prep 2 => 660 (Ran out of time badly)

My GMAT is scheduled on 23rd November. I wanted to know that as my scores have varied substantially in practice tests, will it be possible for me to get 650+ on the actual test? What can i do to improve my timing? and Whether the scores of IR are considered seriously in admissions as this is a new section in GMAT? I understand that there is very little time left but still i want to do everything that i can.

Thanks for reading the long post. Hoping some great suggestions from you guys.. Any and all advice for my d-day are highly welcome.... :)
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 1

Re: A Week left for Gmat. Help needed to improve score & timing! [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 13:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
A 650 is certainly possible. As for timing, I think that the best approach to handling that depends on how your timing typically breaks down. Are you spending 3+ minutes on some questions, or just 2m 30s on a lot of questions, for example. If you are spending over 3 minutes on any question, then you are really shooting yourself in the foot. The GMAT should be thought of in a holistic fashion. Whether or not you get #21 correct, for example, is unimportant. It's much more important that you finish the test and attempt every question. No individual question is that valuable.

If you are consistently spending 2m 30s per problem, then you can try to do more mental math and plan your approach better in the beginning. You are most likely being too mechanical in your approach, and need to work on being more flexible.

One tactic that Veritas teaches is the idea of "wild cards." Allow yourself 2-3 wild cards per section. This means that if you encounter a problem that, after 20-30 seconds, you don't at all understand, guess and move on. This will buy you time for future questions, rather than burning time on a question that you are probably going to miss anyways.

I hope this helps!!!

Brandon
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

If you found this post helpful, please give me kudos!!! :)

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: A Week left for Gmat. Help needed to improve score & timing! [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 21:39
Thanks Brandon. This surely helps..!!!
Re: A Week left for Gmat. Help needed to improve score & timing!   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2013, 21:39