Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Sep 2014, 22:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A well-known sports figure found that combining publicity

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
A well-known sports figure found that combining publicity [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 09:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

80% (02:47) correct 20% (02:17) wrong based on 135 sessions
A well-known sports figure found that combining publicity tours with playing tours led to problems, so she stopped combining the two. She no longer allows bookstore appearances and playing in competition to occur in the same city within the same trip. This week she is traveling to London to play in a major competition, so during her stay in London she will not be making any publicity appearances at any bookstore in London.
Which one of the following most closely parallels the reasoning used in the passage?
(A) Wherever there is an Acme Bugkiller, many wasps are killed. The Z family garden has an Acme Bugkiller, so any wasps remaining in the garden will soon be killed.
(B) The only times that the hospital’s emergency room staff attends to relatively less serious emergencies are times when there is no critical emergency to attend to. On Monday night the emergency room staff attended to a series of fairly minor emergencies, so there must not have been any critical emergencies to take care of at the time.
(C) Tomato plants require hot summers to thrive. Farms in the cool summers of country Y probably do not have thriving tomato plants.
(D) Higher grades lead to better job opportunities, and studying leads to higher grades. Therefore, studying will lead to better job opportunities.
(E) Butter knives are not sharp. Q was not murdered with a sharp blade, so suspect X’s butter knife may have been the murder weapon.

Oa is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
b
Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 184 [7] , given: 2

Re: pl help [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 19:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
What's the source on this question? Parallelism questions like this, though common on the LSAT, are very rare on the GMAT.

That being said, the key is understanding the question type. With parallelism questions, we usually can focus on one part of the argument, and that will eliminate several wrong answers, if not all of them.

This argument builds it conclusion through a chain of minor sub-conclusions; we should focus at the end. In this case, the final step leading to the ultimate conclusion can be paraphrased as "she's playing, so she's not going to a bookstore"; or, more abstractly, "X, therefore not Y."

Let's look at the conclusions:

(A) Using bugkiller, therefore wasps die ---> X, therefore Y. Not parallel
(B) Minor emergencies, therefore no major emergencies ---> X, therefore not Y. Could be.
(C) Probably not growing in cool weather ---> Not X, therefore probably not Y. Not parallel
(D) Studying, therefore jobs ---> X, therefore Y. Not parallel
(E) Not a sharp blade, therefore might be X's knife ---> Not X, therefore possibly Y. Not parallel.

We don't even need to consider the initial premises to eliminate four inconsistent answers, and realize that (B) is correct.

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 310 [0], given: 109

Re: A well-known sports figure found that combining publicity [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 15:16
Thanks for that explanation Eli!

However, how could we be sure that the chosen part to analyze and compare with the other choices is correct?

In addition, I think this type of similar reasoning question of the LSAT doesn't look like the similar reasoning questions of the GMAT. So, we should not be worry with this question, right?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 22

Re: A well-known sports figure found that combining publicity [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 20:23
This post received
KUDOS
The logic in the arguement is as follows:

If X then not Y
If Not X then Y

Only Option B shows such relation.

Thank you so much for such a great question.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 4

Re: A well-known sports figure found that combining publicity [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 10:44
Either X or Y situation. Option B states the same.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 12

Re: A well-known sports figure found that combining publicity [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 09:42
Thanks Mr. Eli for such a wonderful explanation

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A well-known sports figure found that combining publicity [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 00:51
Great explanation from Eli,

Can you give us some tricks and tips to reach the answer of this question.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 6

Re: A well-known sports figure found that combining publicity [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 07:32
I used fairly simple logic to get this. Thus: events A and B don't 'mix' therefore if event A occurs then event B does not.

Only answer B mimics the style of reasoning.

Cheers.

Posted from my mobile device Image

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 184 [1] , given: 2

Re: A well-known sports figure found that combining publicity [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 19:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
tuanquang269 wrote:
Great explanation from Eli,

Can you give us some tricks and tips to reach the answer of this question.

I could go into more depht...but I'm not sure how helpful it would be.

The basic strategy for this type of problem is to pick one piece (usually the conclusion) of the argument, rule out answer choices that don't match it in structure and logic, then if necessary pick a different part of the argument to kill the rest of the remaining wrong answers. The detailed strategy? Well, if you were studying for the LSAT, I'd go into a lot more depth, but this question type is so rare on the GMAT (I counted *0* on a quick scan of the first 100 OG CR questions) that I would feel guilty for distracting you from common, relevant question types if I spent any more word count!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 22

Re: A well-known sports figure found that combining publicity [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 20:30
Relation:
If X then not Y.
If Y then not X.

Only B shows such relation.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 166

Re: A well-known sports figure found that combining publicity [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 02:00
+ 1 B
It was a really great explanation from Eli :-D

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 13

Re: A well-known sports figure found that combining publicity [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 07:33
Another interesting tip I read in the LSAT book. In parallel reasoning type of questions, you can rule out those statements which do not match the original intent.
So, those answer choices which replace let's say a WILL in the original question with a MAY or a POSSIBLY, can be ruled out. degrees of certainty gotta match.

Using this rule, we can straight away narrow down to A,B and D.
C - uses probably
E - may have been

The usage of negatives is what makes the answers so confusing. You have to be careful not use die as NO WASPS. I used this logic and I chose A.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: IE '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46

Kudos [?]: -15 [1] , given: 0

Re: A well-known sports figure found that combining publicity [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 21:27
This post received
KUDOS
If X then not Y
If Not X then Y

I agree with B
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A well-known sports figure found that combining publicity [#permalink] New post 19 May 2013, 12:12
KapTeacherEli wrote:

Well, if you were studying for the LSAT, I'd go into a lot more depth, but this question type is so rare on the GMAT (I counted *0* on a quick scan of the first 100 OG CR questions) that I would feel guilty for distracting you from common, relevant question types if I spent any more word count!

Great explanation for the question Eli :) And thanks for pointing out these type of questions are very rare in GMAT. I see them as a waste of time :(
Re: A well-known sports figure found that combining publicity   [#permalink] 19 May 2013, 12:12