Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A work of architecture, if it is to be both inviting and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 47

GMAT Tests User
Re: A work of architecture, if it is to be both inviting and [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 09:26
+1 B !

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User
Re: A work of architecture, if it is to be both inviting and [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2011, 03:46
why not D?

Sky is the limit

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: A work of architecture, if it is to be both inviting and [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 12:36
B
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR Architecture [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 23:00
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
Between E and B, I feel E is an assumption, whereas B states the outcome. IMO B. I have not selected E because if I negate the statement in E, conclusion fails to substantiate.

Nice explanation, I mistake E for assumption. B must be inference from the argument. Thanks

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 75

Re: A work of architecture, if it is to be both inviting and [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 05:19
A work of architecture, if it is to be both inviting and functional for public use, must be unobtrusive, taking second place to the total environment. Modern architects, plagued by egoism, have violated this precept. They have let their strong personalities take over their work, producing buildings that are not functional for public use.

Which one of the statements below follows logically from the statements in the passage?

(A) Unobtrusive architecture is both inviting and functional.
(B) Modern architects who let their strong personalities take over their work produce buildings that are not unobtrusive.
(C) An architect with a strong personality cannot produce buildings that functional well for the public.
(D) A work of architecture that takes second place to the environment functions well for public use.
(E) A work of architecture cannot simultaneously express its architect’s personality and be functional for public use.

A work of architecture, if it is to be both inviting and functional for public use, must be unobtrusive
To be unobtrusive there must be TWO conditions to follow (i) Inviting & (ii) Functional.

... strong personalities take over their work, producing buildings that are not functional for public use.
Above mentioned (ii) point is violated by some , so one condition is not satisfying ( out of (i) Inviting & (ii) Functional) so it can't be unobtrusive.

(B) wins

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A work of architecture, if it is to be both inviting and [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 13:15
i know OA is B but i am not sure i agree. i feel B is a mistaken negation, here is why

question says "if it is to be both inviting (INV) and functional (FUN) for public use, must be unobtrusive (UOBT)"
So INV & FUN ---> UOBT
now, "modern archtect... strong personalities (MASP) ...producing buildings that are not functional (-FUN)"
So MASP ---> -FUN

in order for B to be correct, you need -FUN ---> -UOBT, but you can't get there with INV & FUN ---> UOBT

it is a typical mistaken negation, isn't it?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A work of architecture, if it is to be both inviting and [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 06:26
B for me as well...
B logically follows form the the argument.
A,C and D are certainly wrong.
in case of E, it does not follow logically. Some buildings may have the architect's personality but still be useful to public.
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 138

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 4

Re: A work of architecture, if it is to be both inviting and [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 10:26
jasonbig1977 wrote:
i know OA is B but i am not sure i agree. i feel B is a mistaken negation, here is why

question says "if it is to be both inviting (INV) and functional (FUN) for public use, must be unobtrusive (UOBT)"
So INV & FUN ---> UOBT
now, "modern archtect... strong personalities (MASP) ...producing buildings that are not functional (-FUN)"
So MASP ---> -FUN

in order for B to be correct, you need -FUN ---> -UOBT, but you can't get there with INV & FUN ---> UOBT

it is a typical mistaken negation, isn't it?

Hi Jason,

Forgive me for being blunt, but I honestly think you are overcomplicating.

2 points:
1. Even if your complicated answer has merit, then it's clear that all the other answers are far worse, so in the exam, you'd be wrong to look elsewhere

2. I don't think your argument stands (I hope I have read it correctly - your shorthand is confusing).

The argument says basically that modern buildings are obtrusive. This is because modern architects have egos.

The functional/inviting stuff is explanation not argument.

So the conclusion just has to be related to the argument. For B this works nicely.

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Re: A work of architecture, if it is to be both inviting and   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2013, 10:26